Study groups in SF

Hi Jeremy,

Incase we have questions on a few implementation details on these projects, where do you suggest we discuss them? Maybe start a separate thread?

I’m not sure Phani - we can experiment. I think the best approaches are either to add comments to the google doc, or to discuss here in this thread.

If some project starts getting big enough to last a while, we can always create a new thread at that time.

Hi everyone, I left my cell phone in room 153 today (it was on the floor, charging). I was wondering if anybody saw it and picked it up by any chance? I left around 6:00 pm.

What’s the best way to begin contributing to the documentation project mentioned in the Google doc? I haven’t been able to be in SF much the last 2 weeks, but I’m planning to join study hours most days next week. Thanks!

Some of us are meeting today in AirBnB building because USF is closed. 888 brannan street san francisco CA. THe company I work for has a branch there called SAP Concur and I have set up a conference room for us until 12 when sadly I have to go, but afterwards you can sit in the open seating AirBnB provides in the lobby Call me at 41503104576 when you arrive John

2 Likes

I had a problem with the hostel and i will not be able to make it today. Im down for tomorrow and sunday though

1 Like

That’s the best way I think - once @rachel and I finish the first module, it’ll be much easier since you can just copy the basic structure there.

In the meantime, contributing to the docstrings is helpful, since we’ll be using those to create the initial doc versions.

IT’s GREAT IN HERE!

2 Likes

Life at the SF study group.

16 Likes

is anyone going to aws summit tomorrow April 4? it’s free and I think there’s food you hungry lot.

https://aws.amazon.com/summits/san-francisco/agenda/

Yeah I think a bunch of us are going. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Noob question: Is there a specific names for the laptop stands?
I can’t find one on Amazon and I’ve already been breaking my back :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Laptop Stand

1 Like

Looks like the name for the laptop stand in the foreground is called “a cardboard box”. :wink:

2 Likes

Aha! I didn’t notice it.
My personal solution so far has been-using my Semester Math books. (Probably that’s only when I ‘use’ them)

2 Likes

¯_(ツ)/¯ there’s no other way to say this but to say it, the study room is smelling a little funky ¯_(ツ)/¯ few people have mentioned it. maybe limit cologne, college-dude hygiene, procrastinating on that laundry run, smelly foods etc. <3 meant in the nicest possible way <3

For those bunch of folks who are working on building Language Models in the SF Study group, I have made some headway into building a language model for an Indian language called Telugu and I’ve hosted the work here: https://github.com/binga/fastai_notes/tree/master/experiments/notebooks/lang_models

I have been able to create a language model and fortunately I found a sentiment analysis dataset with ~5000 records to test drive the backbone. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.

Incase all of us collectively make some good progress on respective languages, we could create a larger project which hosts many language models from one repo under the fastai banner and donate it to the NLP community. What do you all think? (Apologies if I’m jumping the gun here!)

The goals and todos of the project are documented here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KtwqGcWe0JEzJlI43sAkLRnZrPTRBMCbjE-Q355hkvw/edit#

9 Likes

In case anyone wants to submit a proposal for this meetup (warm-up Pycon talk), the deadline is today (sorry just found out about it). I heard they are very welcoming and it’s not just for ladies…

John Graham left his black Lenovo computer charger plugged into the wall in the study room. Should be on left when you walk in. Does anyone find it?

PS I won’t be in today.

yup, charger’s still here on the whiteboard rack above that outlet

2 Likes