Study Group in Seattle

Hey everyone, Iā€™m up in Bothell. Definitely interesting in meeting with folks.

Hi everyone, I am in Northgate and would love to meet folks interested in the course.

Hi, Iā€™m in Seattle and open to meeting. I had also spotted a meetup group that had appeared for this purpose in Seattle, but donā€™t know whether it got off the ground

We had a meeting and then I think everyone got busy. Happy to give it another shot if someone wants to be leader.

good to know there is interest, anyone looking into any kaggle competition yet? we can join forces to work on a competition? I think meeting remotely is the best way when people are in different places. We can meet in person once in a while. @le_mack @tyler @alvisanovari @mfarooq

I just tried my first Kaggle competition with the PUBG Win Place Prediction. Didnā€™t do as well as Iā€™d hoped but I learned a ton!

Nice, good to know, let me know if you are thinking of another competition, I am just getting started but happy to contribute whatever I can.

Hi All,

I will be creating an online meeting for all of us, may be using Skype, please let me know your email id and if you have a preferred time of the day and week. @tyler @le_mack @alvisanovari @mfarooq

Iā€™m taking part in the Kaggle Pet finder competition: https://www.kaggle.com/c/petfinder-adoption-prediction

I thought it would be a great use case for the fastai tabular application but the results so far have not been great. I think this is partly due to the lack of data (~15K rows). Going to try a few stacking approaches to see if I can improve.

1 Like

Happy to meet in person as well. We had a meetup at UW a few months back.

are you doing it alone? can I join you or something, again I am just starting to understand all these, but can help whatever way I can.

I havenā€™t participated in any Kaggle competitions yet but would be interested in doing it if there is interest. I have some research and industry experience. If there are any meetups (in-person or online) I will be happy to join.

Sure! Happy to collaborate :slight_smile:

The cool thing about this competition is that it is Kaggle Kernel based. A kaggle kernel is basically a Jupyter notebook which you urn online. So you can just run the code in the browser and get results.
If everyone signs up for Kaggle and sends me there username info i can see if i can create a basic fastai notebook and share with you. This would have the code to get the output and get a score on the leaderboard but right now its not that good. We can start adding tweaks to it and hopefully get a competitive score.

here is my username on Kaggle: saidac

ok I have shared my notebook with you. Anyone else interested in joining pleas let me know your username.

My user name is: farooqespn

I believe there are two kaggle meetup groups - one meets in Pioneer Square (not 100% sure on that) and the other is on the east side in case you want to join them.

@saidababuchanda - if you are planning to start a group or have already started one please count me inā€¦ I am in Bellevue and open to remote or in-person meetings

Hello, I started a discussion thread on fastai study groups to gather feedbacks from the organizers + participants in order to list the best practices and also to avoid some gaps.

You will find more information in this post. Thank you if you can take a few minutes to participate in the discussion :slight_smile: