Study Group in Austin, TX

Anyone interested in forming a study group in Austin, TX, post here.

You doing in-person or virtual, Iā€™m north SA so not too bad

We can figure it out, either way would work. I work in Austin, live north.

1 Like

Hey everyone! Im in austin - hyde park area. Iā€™d be interested in either virtual and in-person meetups.

1 Like

I work downtown, live in Dripping Springs.

1 Like

Do we keep this in the forums or make a discord channel and leave a link here?

I thought this was discord. Is that something different?

I think most people do Slack or Discord

Any preference on the day/time to meet?

Iā€™m good with whatever, pretty flexible here

Hi Austin. I like this fast.ai live concept and the 6vote threshold. Iā€™m interested in medical image recognition and some categorical data clustering.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing with fast ai ULM fit text classification, pretty powerful stuff.

Anyone interested on getting together (through hangouts or xoom) before the class on Monday at 7:30?

Iā€™m trying to think of ideas where it would be useful to meetup virtual or IRL. Most of the time Iā€™m just running through code or doing Kaggle stuff. We should brainstorm on things that might be good to do as a group.

I was thinking of picking a Kaggle competition and then working on one part of it or deciding on a group project to do for that week. Each week we would pick a different objective based on the lesson.

We could, not sure if we could do a project every week though, maybe a few weeks at a time? Also, I was under the impression we would get homework through this? Maybe we can work on that?

Thatā€™s a good idea. I think Jeremy usually says something along the lines of ā€œapply the lessons we learned today to your own data.ā€ So we can take whatever he says, interpret it, and then come up with a constructive applied task that would be fun to do as a group.

1 Like

@gamino Looked into any webapp stuff yet? Looking at Jeremyā€™s recommendations at:
https://www.pythonanywhere.com

Did this study group ever get off the ground? Iā€™m also in Austin.

We didnā€™t meet, will try again on part 2

I live in Austin, TX! I just finished part 2. I live in downtown and work in West Lake Hills.