Soft labels for Multi-label problems

Is there a way to feed in soft labels for multi-label problems? Normally, what we would do is have delimited labels in csv file and then ImageItemList will take care of everything. But that is assuming that every label will be converted to 1. This is what traditional training looks like. But imagine the case where the training labels are not gold-standard and thus the values associated with the labels are probability values (soft labels). My goal is to have soft labels (like 0.8, 0.5, depending on how unsure the ground truth label is) for multiple labels and train the network with those multiple soft labels. The intuition is to backpropagate lesser for those labels with smaller probability values (and thus making only smaller adjustments to weights for those labels where the ground truth is not very sure of the actual class).

Example with plant dataset:
https://docs.fast.ai/tutorial.data.html#A-multilabel-problem

Here the labels such as, partly_cloudy, primary for a particular image will finally be converted to numerical values such as [0 1 0 0 0 1] (assuming that the places of 1ā€™s correspond to the class partly_cloudy and primary respectively and there are a total of 6 labels). But, for example, if we are not sure about partly_cloudy and we are only 70% confident, the soft label scheme would be something like [0 0.7 0 0 0 1] for training label.

If they are one-hot (not really ones I understand) encoded, you can use the data block API and pass the option encoded=True (not sure of the name) at your label call. This should work.

Thanks for your reply @sgugger. Are you talking about one_hot in MultiCategoryList? I cannot find encoded that you mentioned.

Yes, that one! Sorry I didnā€™t remember the name properly :wink:

Thanks a lot for you time @sgugger. I tried to figure out what I wanted to do. But I am having some problems understanding how to plug in MultiCategoryList with ImageItemList.

What I have right now is a dataframe such as:
12%20PM

Essentially, the network would have four output nodes with sigmoid activation units and the training labels are probability values.

I want to pass those classes with MultiCategoryList.

What I am currently doing is:

data_src = (ImageItemList.from_df(df=df, path=parent_path, folder='train')
            .label_from_df(cols=['class1','class2','class3','class4'], label_cls=MultiCategoryList))

How can I connect this up with MultiCategoryList where I would say one_hot to be True?

1 Like

What I found out was that if I treat my lables as FloatList rather than MultiCategoryList, I can at least create a DataBunch.

One more thing which makes me wonder is: Are the labels of MultiCategoryList essentially similar to FloatList with values being 1.0 for correct classes and 0.0 for incorrect classes?

In your label col:

.label_from_df(cols=['class1','class2','class3','class4'], label_cls=MultiCategoryList, one_hot=True))

and donā€™t forget to split before.

Using FloatList will also work, but it will make the loss function of your model MSE, so you will need to adjust that manually.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks a lot for pointing out that the loss will be MSE with FloatList.

When I tried what you mentioned, DataBunch shows something like this for labels:

y: MultiCategoryList

I thought it didnā€™t work. But when I checked the batch of y values in train_dl, floating point values are indeed loaded.

You also have to pass classes when using one-hot encoded labels like this, because the API canā€™t guess them. Thatā€™s why your visualization is weird. It will still be a bit weird though, as your labels are supposed to be 0. or 1. and they wonā€™t.

Thanks again for pointing that out. I thought specifying cols was enough.

So, it should be something like this. Is it correct?

.label_from_df(cols=['class1','class2','class3','class4'], label_cls=MultiCategoryList, one_hot=True, classes=['class1','class2','class3','class4']))

MultiCategoryList should pick up that extra kwarg, classes from label_from_df, is that correct?

It should yes, though your are right,specifying cols should be enough. Let me know if this new line changes anything.

As far as I can see, the addition of classes parameter does not change anything. As expected, the output for labels with probabilities values are not show (as you have mentioned).

Did you manage to solve this problem? Iā€™m really interested as Iā€™ve got a similar data set. Any references to working code is much appreciated.

Yes, I solved by specifying MultiCategoryList for label_cls and one_hot as True. Also add cols parameter.

1 Like

Is the multi-label approach only compatible with .csv files? When for instance I try to use the DataBlock API for specific image folders, the model doesnā€™t understand that some images might belong to different classes. Have you tried it before?

Hi,

Inspired by this paper: Human uncertainty makes classification more robust

I have the same question, but for fastai v2.

Say I have a table such as this one and loaded it as dataframe:

def get_x(r): return r['image_path']

dblock = DataBlock(blocks = (ImageBlock, MultiCategoryBlock(vocab=list(my_vocab), encoded=True)),
                    get_x = get_x, 
                    splitter=ColSplitter(),
                    item_tfms=Resize(224, ResizeMethod.Pad, pad_mode='zeros'),
                    batch_tfms=aug_transforms(mult=2),
                  )

where my_vocab would be [ā€œdeerā€, ā€œzebraā€, ā€œhorseā€, ā€œantilopeā€].

However, I get this error:

TypeError: canā€™t convert np.ndarray of type numpy.object_. The only supported types are: float64, float32, float16, complex64, complex128, int64, int32, int16, int8, uint8, and bool.

Can somebody point out what I did wrong? Iā€™m not sure why it doesnā€™t work.

EDIT: I SOLVED IT
dblock = DataBlock(blocks = (ImageBlock, MultiCategoryBlock(vocab=list(my_vocab), encoded=True)),
get_x = get_x,
get_y = ColReader(vocabulary),
splitter=ColSplitter(list(my_vocab)), <-- this was missing
item_tfms=Resize(224, ResizeMethod.Pad, pad_mode=ā€˜zerosā€™),
batch_tfms=aug_transforms(mult=2),
)

1 Like