Setup problems: AWS

Yes, I gave permissions. When I scanned the video carefully, I realized that I should ask for p2.xlarge instead of g2.2xlarge. I called just now and changed it. I reinstalled Python 2.7. I will try. Hope it works this time

Hi all,

Iā€™m new to Fast.ai

I just requested the AWS p2.xlarge, but they replied:

"Iā€™m sorry; Iā€™m unable to process the limit increase you requested for EC2 Instances at this time.

As your account has hardly been utilized, with minimal usage up to this point, we would need you to first utilize your current instance capacity before granting such a request.

These limits are put in place to help you gradually ramp up activity and decrease the likelihood of large bills due to sudden, unexpected spikes. Once we have a broader window of usage on your account to review, we are happy to reassess any requests.

I hope this information helps."

Does anyone know what should I do now? Thanks.

Have you checked the new course material? For that you dont need to request an aws instance directly.

Iā€™m not sure about the ā€œnew course materialā€, since the get started said it needs the server to learn.

Please see the new videos. For that you need account on paperspace.

Thanks a lot!
Iā€™ll take a look on this

Hi,
I just got some problems on ssh problems during the setup. It looks like the connection problem, not quite sure how I resolve this one, Thanks for the any guidance and help in advance.

hohsiny@HOHSINY ~
$ ssh -i /home/hohsiny/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-52-35-153-32.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Software caused connection abort

I have this problem also, under both cygwin and ubuntu bash for windows. I am pretty stuck with this setup and would appreciate a hint Jeremy or others!

krobinso@DESKTOP-P06HRTM:/mnt/c/Users/krobi$ aws
C:\Programs\Anaconda2\python.exe: canā€™t open file ā€˜/mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/Scripts/awsā€™: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
krobinso@DESKTOP-P06HRTM:/mnt/c/Users/krobi$ ls /mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/python.exe
/mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/python.exe
krobinso@DESKTOP-P06HRTM:/mnt/c/Users/krobi$ less /mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/Scripts/aws
krobinso@DESKTOP-P06HRTM:/mnt/c/Users/krobi$ cat /mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/Scripts/aws
#!/mnt/c/Programs/Anaconda2/python.exe
#C:\Programs\Anaconda2\python.exe
#/cygdrive/c/Programs/Anaconda2/python.exe

Copyright 2012 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Yesterday I completed setup and connected to my EC2 p2 instance, using the jupyter notebook via console and via browser. Today I canā€™t connect (couldnā€™t ping even, until I twiddled some settings in the Inbound tab).

So I tried running the setup file again in case thatā€™s what made it work yesterday.

I also ran it twice yesterday because I wasnā€™t sure it had worked the first time; now I wonder if extra VPCs are whatā€™s messing things up.

So Iā€™ll check the faq that Jeremy sent poppin3000.

I am having trouble setting up using bash setup_p2.sh. I am new to AWS. I have been approved for a p2.xlarge instance.

I am using a mac. I restarted aws and still cannot setup an instance.

$ bash setup_p2.sh
True

An error occurred (InvalidKeyPair.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The key pair ā€˜aws-key-fast-aiā€™ does not exist

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the CreateTags operation: The request must contain the parameter resourceIdSet
Waiting for instance startā€¦

Waiter InstanceRunning failed: Max attempts exceeded
usage: aws [options] [ ā€¦] [parameters]
To see help text, you can run:

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --instance-id: expected one argument

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the RebootInstances operation: The request must contain the parameter InstancesSet

All done. Find all you need to connect in the fast-ai-commands.txt file and to remove the stack call fast-ai-remove.sh
Connect to your instance: ssh -i /Users/Farah/.ssh/aws-key-fast-ai.pem ubuntu@None

I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

UPDATE: I removed the fast-ai.pem key and tried running the script. This time it worked.

Hi @jicherry , I am having the same problem you had.
Iā€™d appreciate it if you could explain a bit more how I can find the credential file and after modifying it, from which step should I continue the setup.

you should find the credential file in ~/.aws/credential but you can always use the command ā€œaws configureā€ to setup your access key and secret key

Windows 8 people: just a heads up. I was having trouble setting up AWS using cygwin, almost in tears from the frustration.

(I had the p2.xlarge approved from amazon prior to figuring these steps out)

After 5 hours of reinstalling cygwin and trying many things to make the bash shell see aws, I would suggest using (loosely written for people with some experience with VMā€™s):

install virtualbox
set up Ubuntu on it
open terminal
type ā€œsudo apt-get install python-pipā€, enter
git clone https://github.com/fastai/courses
cd to ~/courses/setup/
run setup_p2.sh
then I could follow the install AWS video and everything worked like the video.

Conclusion: this lets you avoid configuring the proxy for jupyter notebook, changing PATH on cygwin, making python work on cygwin, making the right version of python come up on cygwin, etc.

Hi everyone, during setup I get the following errors. I am using Ubuntu 16.04. Can anybody tell me what to click on the Amazon AWS site for this OptIn?

Thank you!

bash setup_p2.sh 

An error occurred (OptInRequired) when calling the CreateVpc operation: You are not subscribed to this service. Please go to http://aws.amazon.com to subscribe.

An error occurred (OptInRequired) when calling the CreateTags operation: You are not subscribed to this service. Please go to http://aws.amazon.com to subscribe.
usage: aws [options] <command> <subcommand> [<subcommand> ...] [parameters]

aws help
  aws <command> help
  aws <command> <subcommand> help
aws: error: argument --vpc-id: expected one argument
usage: aws [options] <command> <subcommand> [<subcommand> ...] [parameters]

aws help
  aws <command> help
  aws <command> <subcommand> help
aws: error: argument --vpc-id: expected one argument

Hi Alex,
I have re-run aws configure and have provided proper values and I still get this problem. Please help me.

How did you fix this error?
An error occurred (OptInRequired) when calling the CreateInternetGateway operation: You are not subscribed to this service. Please go to http://aws.amazon.com to subscribe. Did you click something on the amazon website?

Hey! Iā€™m very new to the Deep Learning course. Iā€™ve to work on a project in my University. Can I register for an AWS server without giving Credit Card information because I donā€™t have one.

Hi
I just installed cygwin and installed awscli
but when I run aws ,it shows below:

fei@Guo ~
$ aws
D:\anaconda31\python.exe: canā€™t open file ā€˜/cygdrive/d/anaconda31/Scripts/awsā€™: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

fei@Guo ~
$
I donā€™t know why, It seems cygwin is not running so well in my computer?

I had that problem, I just installed a virtual machine (Ubuntu) and everything worked meaning, when you open terminal in Ubuntu, do pip install aws-cli, the rest of the commands work. Are you running windows 8/8.1?