Set up course v3 on Windows

This will create headaches which probably aren’t worth your while. A lot of the library is linked to your home folder of the current user, which is located in C. So if you’re choosing another drive you’ll have to manually change the directories basically every time you download something, or load something, and so on. So I’d advice against installing on another drive, speaking from experience…!

Sometimes, defaults are better.

Are you in the right conda environment? Is jupyter notebook loading the correct conda environment?

Cleaning a messy environment is rarely worth it, unless you know very well what you’re doing. If i were you I’d uninstall, remove as much as I can, and then make a clean install.

How i make clean installs:

1. If you have any previous installations of any of the applications below, uninstall them.
  2. Update computer
  3. Install CUDA
  4. Install Anaconda (Click in “Add to Path”, even if they advice not to. If Anaconda has been properly uninstalled it’s fine.)
  5. In the Anaconda GUI (Anaconda Navigator), goto Environments->Create (this links better with windows than only using command line)
  6. When the new environment has been created, enter cmd.exe and activate it, if everything works you should see (environment_name) C:\Users\...
  7. Install pytorch and fastai by conda install -c pytorch -c fastai fastai
  8. Start jupyter notebook, make a notebook and try to import fastai to see if it works. When launching the notebook, you have to be in the correct environment.
  9. Alternatively, load a previously git-cloned fastai notebook and simply try to run it

Done!

If Cuda has been properly installed there’s no need to install a specific version of it, since pytorch will snatch up whatever version is compatible for itself. Again, defaults are sometimes better!

1 Like

Hey Thanks for setup link, but i getting cuda error, when i execute cnn_learner lesson 1.

I installed using the command:
conda install -c pytorch -c fastai -c conda-forge fastai pytorch torchvision cuda100
should i install cuda92?

Worked on linux, thanks