Remote NLP Focused Study Group

Old Kaggle comp would be a good idea?

Looking forward to this!!

Never used zoom before. Open to it. Can we do video recording, screen sharing in the free version?

The one downside is, the free session expires IIRC in every 40 minutes. So youā€™d have to re start the call after those intervals

Yes, the main advantage is, you just join by Zoom ID which is much easier than hangouts. Also doesnā€™t have 10 participant limit. Zoom is limited to 40 mins / session as Sanyam points out. We can do Video Call and Multiple Screen share in Zoom. Donā€™t think we want to record these meetings

1 Like

A few meets fall on Monday (for my time region) and Iā€™ll be attending college during those durations. So recorded sessions would be awesome for me to watch the discussions later and itā€™d be cool for others too/later re-watch for others.
I think anyone attending the call could leave a screen recorder on and that would do it? (If it sounds like a good idea)

Some of us have paid Zoom account and only the host is required to have a paid account to actually run a big meeting.

I can host and share the recording after the call for example.

Also: Iā€™m in, Iā€™ll check in on Doodle :wink:

4 Likes

Interested.

1, I would like to do NLP in Malayalam - a south Indian language, which is a low resource language, also a high agglutinative. So, I would like to hear your experience in solving NLP in similar languages (like Turkish, Finnish, German etc)

2, Since I have very limited language resource for Malayalam, I would like to implement the architecture mentioned in this paper - Unsupervised Machine Translation Using Monolingual Corpora Only. I hope, somebody can help me on this.

Jamsheer

2 Likes

Iā€™m in as well! Great idea for a focus group.

Iā€™m in

Iā€™m in :four_leaf_clover:

Yes interested

Iā€™m in. And my vote is also for zoom. Much more stable than Google Hangouts.

Thanks for the initiative

Can anyone here recommend any readings or videos for NLP fundamentals that have helped you?

This set of stanford lectures is also not bad, though it doesnā€™t really represent state of the art, but it lays a good foundation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6397E4B26D00A269

Also, highly recommended for the basic concepts is The NLTK Book - now updated for python 3

For some hands-on coding tutorials Iā€™d recommend:

8 Likes

Thanks a lot!

itā€™s awesome to see folks speaking different languages - this would bring an interesting perspective to the NLP study - i love languages and know some like Russian, Hebrew and a bit of French - always wanted to research how to convey humor and sarcasm across different languagesā€¦ hope NLP would help in this regardā€¦

1 Like

i liked this a lot:

A Primer on Neural Network Models for Natural Language Processing

2 Likes

Do check out the sarcasm corpus here - https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.05579
thanks for that link!

1 Like

yes, I am interested