***Remember to SHUT DOWN your instance!*** ⭕

The title says it all… :slight_smile:

28 Likes

Hi all,

I made a Chrome extension for Paperspace that notifies you each hour an instance is running. Makes it easier to remember.

Here it is

The source is public here :slight_smile:

Hope it’s helpful to you.

25 Likes

I used a cron job to shutdown my AWS instance after 180 mins of booting. The Steps I used are:

1. Create a file on AWS EC2 /home/ubuntu/anotherfile.sh and paste the following:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/shutdown -h +15 “Shutting down at: $(date --date=‘15 minutes’)”

One can give command shutdown -c to get some more time. Thanks @gamo

1. Create one more file /home/ubuntu/firstfile.sh and paste:

#!/bin/bash
at -f /home/ubuntu/anotherfile.sh now + 180 minutes

1. Give command

sudo crontab -e

and at the end of the file append:

@reboot /home/ubuntu/firstfile.sh

Took this approach from: https://superuser.com/a/1012177/120824

5 Likes

You can find Cloud Console for android and ios.
The app allows controlling the VM from your mobile (and much more!). For this topic’s concern, shutting vm instances down.

3 Likes

Salamander will email you if your server has remained idle for an hour (no active ssh connection, low cpu/gpu utilisation)

8 Likes

Azure has an auto shutdown option for VMs that you can set on a schedule - which can notify you via web hook or e-mail before it shuts down. Worth having as a backstop - although choosing the right time when it kicks in can be challenging when you might still be working to get that extra ,1% accuracy at 2am… I do find the Azure mobile app useful too - as I can start my VM from anywhere in anticipation of more data science goodness! Or shut it down if I forgot and don’t want to wait.

1 Like

Found this article: http://rohitrawat.com/automatically-shutting-down-google-cloud-platform-instance/

It is for GCP, but all commands are linux/bash so it should work on similar systems.

With a bit of editing it could be made more dynamic and to work with cron.

1 Like

For Google Cloud, I’m using a preemptible instance, so it can live at most 24 hours anyway. However, I don’t want to waste my credits, so I’ve set a cronjob to automatically shut it down everyday at a given time.

sudo crontab -e

then add this line to the end of the file

30 22 * * * /sbin/shutdown -h now

This shuts the system down at 22:30 (10:30pm)

2 Likes

Could be good to use shutdown -h +15 "Shutting down at: $(date --date='15 minutes')" giving you some time to run shutdown -c if you are using the instance and don’t want to lose data.
Alternatively run a script that saves data/cleans up and then shuts down.

3 Likes

This is such a useful advise. Thanks!

Is there a way to do something like this with crestle? had my first “forget to shut down” experience, just a few bucks but want to avoid it in the future