Recommendation to save models in root /models folder when using resized images

def get_data(sz, bsz, val_idxs=[0], test_name='test'):
    tfms = tfms_from_model(arch, sz, aug_tfms=transforms_side_on, max_zoom=1.1)

data = ImageClassifierData.from_csv(PATH, csv_fname=f'{DS_PATH}/labels.csv', 
                                        folder='train', test_name=test_name, 
                                        bs=bsz, tfms=tfms, val_idxs=val_idxs, suffix='.jpg')

return data if sz > 300 else data.resize(340, 'tmp')

Using the code above to build the data for a learner results in any saved models being saved in /tmp/340/tmp/models.

I would like to recommend that the default be to look for a root /models directory in PATH as a first option because if you ever have to blow out your /tmp folder to get rid of precomputed activations, you’ll blow out your saved models as well. Another option is to make the models path an optional argument.

These are good points. OTOH, I’ve found keeping different resized dataset models separate to be helpful. Rather than removing tmp, I just remove tmp/*.bc. A better approach still would be to have models/340 for instance, although I suspect that may need some significant refactoring to make that work cleanly. PRs welcome, of course! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will do. I’m thinking about adding a couple new optional params:

• overwrite_precomputed=False: If True, will rebuild the precomputed activations instead of re-using existing
  • models_dir=None: Will save/load models to/from this location if specified, else save to default path.
1 Like