Pytorch 1.0 is officially released

I’ve got the exact same feeling. There’s these “pauses” while it is grabbing batches it feels like, that don’t happen on my ubuntu install. Could just be placebo though…

1 Like

Have you updated pytorch / fastai yet?
Any issues?

I haven’t recently. I think 1.0.37 is what I have currently on my home machine.

I upgraded to 1.0.39 and haven’t seen any issues (yet) - I did notice that more of the utilities are in FastAI.vision - so the notebooks have been updated to remove import FastAI.
I did some comparative timings too - Ubuntu v Windows (Azure NC6 v Win10 and GTX1080ti)
Lesson 1 Pets, the first 4 epochs took 3m 36s on Ubuntu - and 5m 26s on Windows. The pauses were also very obvious in that the GPU processing was probably 3 times faster on Windows - but long gaps both between epochs and even between train/verify. I assume it is loading the batches. I did see a thread that suggested a faster library for image handling for Windows - but I think the real answer is the multi-threading and the picking issue.

1 Like

“GPU 3 x faster on windows”

What now?

1 Like

To be clear this isn’t a direct comparison - just that the apparent GPU work happens 3x faster on my local Windows 1080ti than the same work in the Azure NC6.

Ahhh, ok, makes sense.
I have both on my machine, but can’t really compro them because the Ubuntu install is on NVME and the windows install is on SATA so that muddies the waters.

NVME vs SATA is insignificant compared to the speed difference between Windows and Ubuntu. Also, you could mount the NVME in Ubuntu and access the Windows version of the data.