PR: Ability to use dropout at prediction time (Monte Carlo Dropout)

(Daniel Bourke) #1

PR link: https://github.com/fastai/fastai/pull/2132#issue-284247316

We’ve been researching into different methods using to figure out how to find what predictions your model is ‘sure’ or ‘unsure’ of at Max Kelsen.

And we found a few use cases, particularly Uber’s use case for measuring uncertainty in neural networks. Where they talk about the use of Monte Carlo Dropout as a way to make many predictions on a sample and then use the variance of the predictions as a measure of certainty.

We’ve used these on a text classification problem and they’ve proven helpful.

The major changes are all within the Learner class in basic_train.py:

Adding apply_dropout():

def apply_dropout(self, m):
    "If a module contains dropout in it's name, it will be switched to .train() mode."
    if 'dropout' in m.__class__.__name__.lower():
        m.train()

Adding predict_with_mc_dropout():

def predict_with_MC_dropout(self, item:ItemBase, return_x:bool=False, batch_first:bool=True, with_dropout:bool=True, n_times=10, **kwargs):
    "Predict with dropout turned on for n_times (default 10)."
    predictions = []
    for _ in range(n_times):
        predictions.append(self.predict(item, with_dropout=with_dropout))
    return predictions

Altering pred_batch():

def pred_batch(self, ds_type:DatasetType=DatasetType.Valid, batch:Tuple=None, reconstruct:bool=False, with_dropout:bool=False) -> List[Tensor]:
    "Return output of the model on one batch from `ds_type` dataset."
    if batch is not None: xb,yb = batch
    else: xb,yb = self.data.one_batch(ds_type, detach=False, denorm=False)
    cb_handler = CallbackHandler(self.callbacks)
    xb,yb = cb_handler.on_batch_begin(xb,yb, train=False)

# with_dropout clause
    if not with_dropout:
        preds = loss_batch(self.model.eval(), xb, yb, cb_handler=cb_handler)
    else:
        # Apply dropout at eval() time
        preds = loss_batch(self.model.eval().apply(self.apply_dropout), xb, yb, cb_handler=cb_handler)

res = _loss_func2activ(self.loss_func)(preds[0])
    if not reconstruct: return res
    res = res.detach().cpu()
    ds = self.dl(ds_type).dataset
    norm = getattr(self.data, 'norm', False)
    if norm and norm.keywords.get('do_y',False):
        res = self.data.denorm(res, do_x=True)
    return [ds.reconstruct(o) for o in res]

Altering predict():

def predict(self, item:ItemBase, return_x:bool=False, batch_first:bool=True, with_dropout:bool=False, **kwargs):
    "Return predicted class, label and probabilities for `item`."
    batch = self.data.one_item(item)

# Added with_dropout
    res = self.pred_batch(batch=batch, with_dropout=with_dropout) 

raw_pred,x = grab_idx(res,0,batch_first=batch_first),batch[0]
    norm = getattr(self.data,'norm',False)
    if norm:
        x = self.data.denorm(x)
        if norm.keywords.get('do_y',False): raw_pred = self.data.denorm(raw_pred)
    ds = self.data.single_ds
    pred = ds.y.analyze_pred(raw_pred, **kwargs)
    x = ds.x.reconstruct(grab_idx(x, 0))
    y = ds.y.reconstruct(pred, x) if has_arg(ds.y.reconstruct, 'x') else ds.y.reconstruct(pred)
    return (x, y, pred, raw_pred) if return_x else (y, pred, raw_pred)

Use:

Using predict_with_mc_dropout(n_times:int=10) will return a list of 10 predictions all made with dropout turned on (essentially 10 predictions with slightly different models), of which you can take the variance and use it as a measure of how certain your model is about a certain prediction.

Low variance = low uncertainty
High variance = high uncertainty

Pros:

• Gives you more insight into what your model doesn’t know. This is particularly useful if you want to take things to production (e.g. automatically classify the samples with 0 variance and send the rest to a human classifier).

• Instead of having a completely black box neural network making predictions at X% accuracy, you can make predictions at X% accuracy and have a complementary metric of how certain each prediction is.

Cons:

• Increases prediction inference time by n_times.
5 Likes

[Article] Bayesian Neural Networks experiments using Fastai

Just made a few style changes, I’ll let you look at them and tell me if something is off before I merge.

0 Likes

(Daniel Bourke) #3

Thanks for that! All looks good to go.

0 Likes

(Jaxon Keeler) #4

@sgugger @mrdbourke
Thanks for this great functionality! I am new to fastAI and have a quick, perhaps silly question. I can’t seem to figure out how to predict with mc dropout for an entire dataset. Essentially I want to call learn.get_preds but with mc dropout. How can I do this without having to loop through the entire dataset one point at a time and calling predict_with_mc_dropout on it?

Thanks!

1 Like

(Nestor Demeure) #5

Thank you for this contribution, I was about to recode it when I found out that it was already done!

For users wanting to get uncertainty data for their models, I would recommend reading the work of Yarin Gal who published the dropout as a way to get uncertainty idea as a part of his PhD thesis.

He has a blog post with very nice animations and the proper equations to convert the variance you get when you run the model several time with the dropout activated into a proper uncertainty on the output.

0 Likes