Platform: GCP ✅

Amir did you try zone us-west2-c or us-west2-b ? url https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/gpus/ helps to choose zone based on GPU

1 Like

I have not. I am using us-west1-b with a 1 x NVIDIA Tesla P100 GPU. It was fine till this morning. If I make a new instance, or change the zone, do I lose the notebooks and files that I already have added?! @srivenug

3 Likes

us-central1-c is the next best zone for GPUs.

3 Likes

Ed, please do not give up, try and try again (over several days if need be). This deep learning takes a lot of trial and error to get up and running. Some folks are just luckier than others in getting it set up effortlessly.
I spent the better part of a week blundering through it but at least succeeded this year. I will keep looking for you on this message board if you continue to have problems.

2 Likes

anyone know how to delete configurations and cloud projects that were made in error?

On your VM instances page click on the 3 dot button in the rightmost side and you will see options for delete, stop, etc.

I tried with the updated instructions today the second time but wasn’t successful

Thanks again for this help! I filled in your form, and then received another form from google to apply for the credits, which I filled in. It said something about getting a response in 1-2 days, but that was 5 days ago. Do you think something went wrong and I should try again, or can these things just take a while?

Same thing with me. I could not start my VM in the last two days. Is there a way to change zone without loosing what I did so far?

1 Like

Thanks @czechcheck for this generous gesture of yours!

1 Like

Did you get any code for 500$ credit?

Well not yet, but hopefully soon.

I’m getting ImportError: cannot import name ‘Filelink’

Hey Mauro. Try
from IPython.display import FileLink
It’s capital F and L in FileLink.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone here using GCP behind institute proxy?
Actually I can’t ssh GCP from my local machine because my institute network doesn’t listen on port 22 (default for process in GCP) so is there any way I can setup another port in GCP to listen from my local machine?

I also tried this but didn’ work !!

1 Like

Looks like Google Cloud can not handle all the instances created on zone us-west1-b !
I have been getting an error in the past 2 days and I can’t start my instance !

Error : “The zone ‘projects/operating-land-216419/zones/us-west1-b’ does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later.”

Today I tried to start my machine like 20 times , all day long…
Also, I did a work that I’d like to publish , but I have no access to my notebook.
Very frustrating!

This link describes how to move the instance to a different zone. In my case, it raised the error that my instance is terminated and should be deleted (No idea why!). So I deleted it and set up a new instance in us-central1-c.
To list all instances and their status you can use this in command-line:
gcloud compute instances list

1 Like

That doesn’t seem to be the right link? I found this however: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/moving-instance-across-zones . Here’s the command it shows:

gcloud compute instances move example-instance \
--zone us-central1-a --destination-zone us-central1-f
4 Likes

Sorry, my bad! I fixed it. Thanks.

Hey what do you replace $ZONE with? and I presume you type your instance name instead of $INSTACCE_NAME? Because if your ZONE is not similar to your default ones, it’s not connecting or atleast that was the case for me. Now it connects when ever I use the same default zone.