Platform: GCP ✅

No worries ! The array of combinations can be confusing in the beginning. Hope you get a pre-emptible instance with a gpu soon :beers:

1 Like

It looks like the command you’re running is not correct starting at -- -L ............. You probably want to pass ssh arguments using --ssh-flag="......." ! Docs here https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/compute/ssh

2 Likes

Hi guys! Sorry if this has been asked already yet I searched the forum for the subject with no success. Trying to create GCP account I found out there is no way of setting up individual (non business) account for European location (Belarus if being precise). Official support states that in Russia the service shouldn’t be used at all if no potential economic benefit is expected from the usage. This is all a bit confusing since I just don’t have individual account option even though I’m not in Russia, but neither do I intend to use GCP for business purposes. Can anyone suggest? Thanks!

@marcmuc If you try connecting to us-west2-b but you get resource not available error you could try another zone. I found this link useful to choose an optimal zone depending the GPU I want to use:
https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/gpus/
https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/regions-zones/

3 Likes

I changed the command to this:

gcloud compute ssh --zone us-west1-b jupyter@$fastai --ssh-flag="-L 8080:localhost:8080"

And I’m still getting

ERROR: (gcloud.compute.ssh) could not parse resource []

1 Like

Hello! Anybody interested in free $500 Google Cloud credits? As Google employee, I can refer other people for free $500 (this is in addition to $300 for a new account, so $800 in total). I have checked that it is ok to refer fast.ai students, even a lot of them, and already tested the process on three colleagues from Czech&Slovak study group. To make it easier for me, please, do not send me messages but fill in your information into this form:

http://bit.ly/gcpextracredit

Why am I doing this? I remember myself starting with the cloud (AWS) in late 2010, in Eastern Europe, on a tight budget, detecting polymorphisms in mouse DNA. I know very well what is it to forget switching off your machines or screwing something and getting an extra $100 billed to your supervisor’s credit card. I was fortunate not to be fired and want to help people in a similar situation.

UPDATE: I am going to delete the form on Tuesday, November 6, in the evening. (I have already sent over 200 referrals and I will refer everybody who applies before that)

64 Likes

Wonderful! :slight_smile: I filled in your form. Thanks for taking the time to help the community in this way.

8 Likes

Thank you for offering this, Petr. This is such a great help.

1 Like

That will be super helpful for a lot of folks. Appreciate your time and effort!

1 Like

Hello Mac,

I was going through the same problem, the idea here is to atleast try 3 - 4 times in the same region. I try in europe-west1-b and have got it all the time after trying 3 - 4 times.

After the new message from Jeremy, I did conda update conda but conda install -c fastai fastai fails and gives out this error:

Is fastai the name of your instance? If so, then I think you should remove the “$”

1 Like

Thank you, Jeremy. I have just sent the first 37 referrals (everybody who filled in the form by now, both fast.ai students and @python_tip followers). I will wait until the decision about those 37 referrals is reached and continue if the most of them get through.

UPDATE (2018-10-28 20:23 PDT): So far, I have sent 110 referrals. All of them should have received an email from Google with the subject “Google Cloud Credit Program - You’ve Been Nominated!”. I still do not know how many people will get through the review phase. (It takes 2-3 days)

UPDATE (2018-10-29 14:39 PDT): First 25 referrals approved, so far nobody was rejected.

UPDATE (2018-10-30 14:40 PDT): Another 28 referrals approved (3 + 25 + 28 in total), so far nobody was rejected.

UPDATE (2018-10-31 23:30 PDT): I have added 54 referrals, thanks for your patience. Another 8 approved (seems to done in batches, results arrive every day at around 2:30pm). In total, 166 referrals sent and received “You’ve been nominated” email. From those applications, 68 have been finalized (“Here’s your credit” email). So far I have no indication that anybody would be rejected.

UPDATE (2018-11-02 19:00 PDT): In total 207 referrals sent (“You’ve been nominated” email) and 103 approved (“Here’s Your Credit!” email). I will keep the form open until Tuesday and then send all the referrals and close it.

UPDATE (2018-11-05 14:13 PDT): Eight referrals have been rejected today (“Application Update” email) including @jeremy. This is the first time that happens. I cannot identify a shared pattern, some of them have a weak justification but others seem solid. I apologize but there is nothing I can do. Another 32 referrals have been accepted today (“Here’s Your Credit!” email). In total, 135 credits given so far. As noted above, I will keep the form open until Tuesday (250 people applied so far).

I would like to thank to everybody reaching to me after receiving GCP credit. It is out to my capability to answer those messages but I appreciate them. Hope GCP will be useful both for fast.ai course and your future projects.

9 Likes

Filled the form. Thanks for helping us out peter

1 Like

Wow ! How very nice of you. Thanks for taking the time to help the community.

On a side note, are you still working on genomic data ? I’ve some rough plans on using bacterial genome data (NGS/illumina) to build some basic prediction models to begin with. Would be neat to team up with somebody with more domain knowledge.

1 Like

Is this a problem with permissions? Try

git config --global user.email "your_email@example.com"
git config --global user.name “your_name”

Hey,

Could you post this great offer in the main v3 thread or notify everyone in here?
This could be a really helpful especially for people like me who’ve created the GCP few years ago and have no credits.

Yes. That was the issue. It was a typo mistake.

Hi, what If I create an instance with a single P100 and a 200GB boot disk and then later want to create an instance with 2 P100s it possible to use the same disk that was allocated to the first instance?

1 Like

when I reach step 4 of the guide (access fastai materials and update packages), git command returns an error “fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git”, could someone assist me?