Official PyTorch book Foreword by PyTorch Team(Video 3D, GAN, Time series, Notebooks)

• Introduction to deep learning and the PyTorch library
  • Pre-trained networks
  • Tensors
  • The mechanics of learning
  • Using a neural network to fit data
  • Using convolutions to generalize
  • Real-world examples: Building a neural network designed for cancer detection
  • Deploying to production

You can download all the Jupyter Notebooks in this book from here:

2 Likes

Here is my notebook that uses this bookā€™s cyclegan notebook to train on Colab: click mešŸ‘†

Interesting? You should also try it.

1 Like

Nice book, deserves to be addressed.

Has anyone tried doing the part 2 of this book in Colab? If so have you had any joy please?

Iā€™ve spent the last few days trying to get some of the code from part 2 to work, but to little avail. The entire dataset is massive (~120 gbs uncompressed), so thereā€™s no way youā€™re going to get the whole thing into a Colab instance.

I was able to upload all the data to a GCP bucket, which I was able to mount in Colab, but training on this huge dataset always caused my Colab instance to crash. I tried decreasing the batch size and the number of workers, but to no avail. I even made a really powerful VM on GCP, but this crashed as well.

The first part of the book is amazing - everything is very clear, itā€™s easy to see whatā€™s happening with the code, and you can easily run all of the code on Colab. But thereā€™s a huge disconnect with the second part. Everything seems very opaque, and the dataset is so massive that itā€™s almost impossible to run.

I understand datasets in the wild tend to be big; but I donā€™t understand the reasoning of using such a huge project in a book for beginnersā€¦

I used some code to download it from the website to colab with only 7gb, but I think google does not like this doing.
You can see my code in this pull request.

I still think the book is for beginners. We all should focus on building and using our own dataset rather than just import the CFAR10 or the MINST when we are a beginner. Beginners is about learning to build the dataset and using some skills from last year or last two years, such as Cycle Gan rather than those from 5 or 6 years ago outdated one. As the book said, you can just use some part of it to train for learning, but the result may not be as good as the state of art, and I just used 6 GB of it.
1 Like

I saw your code and found it to be very helpful. I was having problems training the model on Colab, but after seeing your notebook I was inspired to give it another try.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anyway to train the entire dataset on a Colab instance. As I mentioned earlier, Iā€™m storing the entire dataset in a GCP bucket, which can be mounted to a Colab instance. I was able to get the model to start training without crashing the Colab instance, but the only way to do this was to reduce the number of workers to 1 (from 4), and decrease the batch size to 8 (from 32). Of course, this slowed down training, and with the latency of reading in data from a bucket on the other side of the world, the estimate for finishing one training epoch was 72 days (no joke). It also costs $.12 USD to transfer 1 GB from a GCP bucket, so it would cost about $10 to transfer the entire dataset.

I am able to run training on a virtual machine in GCP, and I can do an epoch of training on the full dataset in about 20 minutes. To reduce latency, I copy the dataset from my GCP bucket to the VMā€™s data disk, but that takes 3-4 hours. As far as I know, you have to have the data available locally, so I think this is a required step. I was only able to do this with a VM with 8 vCPUs, 30 GBs RAM, and a Tesla T4. I had tried earlier with a VM with less processing power, but the estimate for training one epoch with that VM was about 2 days. Unfortunately, I donā€™t think you can change the specs of a GCP VM after itā€™s been instanced, so every time I want to change something I have to start from the beginning.

For what itā€™s worth, I was able to train an epoch of the entire dataset on my local machine (Core i7/16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB) in a reasonable amount of time (I think it was around an hour); but the impression I get from the book is that this should take about ten minutes. Considering that my local machine is fairly powerful and that Iā€™m not making any changes to the code, I donā€™t understand why training is taking so long to run.

I also have an issue with the amount of disk space this project requires. Running the program ā€œtraining.pyā€ in chapter 11 calls ā€œprepcache.pyā€, which creates a cache which is even bigger than the dataset. Between the original dataset and this cache, nearly 300gbs of my hard drive are taken up, which is more than I can spare. As far as I can tell, the book doesnā€™t really cover whatā€™s happening in prepcache.py, and I found the code for it difficult to follow. Iā€™ve never seen anything like this in any of the models Iā€™ve built in the past, so Iā€™d like to know why this step is necessary and how it makes the model more efficient.

I do realize that itā€™s possible to run training on just a single subset of the data, but Iā€™m going to continue to try with the full dataset merely because I want the experience of having to work with a massive dataset; and because Iā€™m convinced that it shouldnā€™t be that difficult (itā€™s in a beginnerā€™s book, after all).

That said, I find the style of part 2 very different from part 1. Part 1 was a lot like the instruction in FastAI: youā€™re encourage to go through the code line by line and understand exactly whatā€™s happening in every step. But in part 2, the code feels very opaque and difficult to follow. Most of the code calls helper functions which are tucked away in other files, which themselves call helper functions that are tucked away in other files. I appreciate that this is more efficient from a developerā€™s perspective; but from a studentā€™s perspective I donā€™t feel itā€™s optimal for teaching.