NLP for Regression

I have looked through the forum and haven’t been any to find any topics on ULMFIT for regression for fast at v2. I have a fairly simple problem of trying to predict a score between 1-6 (Float) given a couple 100 words of text. I thought I would just be able to use the normal ULMFIT code and have a TextBlock and RegressionBlock and then change the loss function to MSE or RMSE. However, I have been running into errors with this. Does any one have any suggestions?

Hey,

It works great pretty much exactly as you stated, and can be done for 1 or more label columns :slight_smile:

Here’s a code sample:

dls_clas = TextDataLoaders.from_df(df=df, valid_pct=0.1, seed=42, text_col='text', text_vocab=vocab, bs=bs,
                                       y_names=labels,
                                       y_block=RegressionBlock(len(labels)),
                                       label_col=labels)
    learn = text_classifier_learner(dls_clas, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.5,
                                    n_out=len(labels),
                                    y_range=(1, 6), metrics=[R2Score()],
                                    cbs=cbs,
                                    )
    if default_device().type == 'cuda':
        learn = learn.to_fp16()
    learn = learn.load_encoder('finetuned_lm')
    lr = 3e-2
    n_epochs = 5
    learn.fit_one_cycle(n_epochs, lr)
    learn.unfreeze()
    learn.fit_one_cycle(n_epochs*2, slice(lr / 10 / (2.6 ** 4), lr / 10))

Let us know if you are running into any problems, preferably together with your code and stack trace!

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response. I have tried a similar approach but have running into a “RuntimeError: Expected all tensors to be on the same device, but found at least two devices, cuda:0 and cpu!”

I am trying to figure out how to add my code like that, sorry I am new to this forum

dls_clas = DataBlock(
    blocks=(TextBlock.from_df('MS', vocab=dls.vocab),RegressionBlock),
    get_x = ColReader('text'), get_y=ColReader('Target'),
    splitter=RandomSplitter(.2)).dataloaders(data, bs=128, seq_len=72)
learn = text_classifier_learner(dls_clas, AWD_LSTM, loss_func=rmse,drop_mult=0.5,y_range=(1,6),
                                metrics=rmse).to_fp16()
        learn = learn.to_fp16()
learn = learn.load_encoder('finetuned')
learn.fit_one_cycle(1, 2e-2)

Hey,

That error means that you’re mixing up CPU and GPU - can you check whether you have a GPU and whether pytorch recognizes it? You can also manually move the model and the data to the correct device if needed and then you won’t get that error anymore.

Yes, I am using Paperspace with a GPU and am able to the run the code from the class successfully. It is using a Quadro m4000 and says that Pytorch is using the GPU (when I do
torch.cuda.is_available())

Hey,

The best resource for NLP with fastai is the documentation - especially this text tutorial. You should upgrade your fastai installation to the latest pip install -U fastai fastcore, follow the same procedure as in the tutorial, and plug in something like the code chunk I gave you above when you perform the final text regression step. You can do all this in a Colab notebook first if you would like to make sure it’s working without having to pay any money.

If it doesn’t work, please paste your full code and any errors you get so we can help you debug it :slight_smile:

Thank you, I have tried following this guide and have received the same error that I mentioned above. It appears like the error is coming because of when I do loss_func = rmse. But when I change it to MSE, I receive a different error.

dls_lm = DataBlock(blocks=(TextBlock.from_df('Mission Statement',is_lm=True)),
    get_x=ColReader('text'), splitter=RandomSplitter(.2)).dataloaders(df,bs=128, seq_len=50)
learn = language_model_learner( dls_lm, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.3,  metrics=[accuracy, Perplexity()]).to_fp16() 
learn.save('1epoch')
learn = learn.load('1epoch')
learn.unfreeze()
learn.fit_one_cycle(10, 2e-3)
learn.save_encoder('finetuned'
dls_clas = DataBlock(
    blocks=(TextBlock.from_df('Mission Statement', vocab=dls_lm.vocab),RegressionBlock),
    get_x = ColReader('text'), get_y=ColReader('xOTIOverall'),
    splitter=RandomSplitter(.2)
).dataloaders(df, bs=128, seq_len=72)
    learn = text_classifier_learner(dls_clas, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.5, loss_func=rmse, metrics=[R2Score(),rmse])
        learn = learn.to_fp16()
learn = learn.load_encoder('finetuned')

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-94-07c3fbbfd15e> in <module>
----> 1 learn.fit_one_cycle(1, 2e-2)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/callback/schedule.py in fit_one_cycle(self, n_epoch, lr_max, div, div_final, pct_start, wd, moms, cbs, reset_opt)
    110     scheds = {'lr': combined_cos(pct_start, lr_max/div, lr_max, lr_max/div_final),
    111               'mom': combined_cos(pct_start, *(self.moms if moms is None else moms))}
--> 112     self.fit(n_epoch, cbs=ParamScheduler(scheds)+L(cbs), reset_opt=reset_opt, wd=wd)
    114 # Cell

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in fit(self, n_epoch, lr, wd, cbs, reset_opt)
    203             self.opt.set_hypers(lr=self.lr if lr is None else lr)
    204             self.n_epoch = n_epoch
--> 205             self._with_events(self._do_fit, 'fit', CancelFitException, self._end_cleanup)
    207     def _end_cleanup(self): self.dl,self.xb,self.yb,self.pred,self.loss = None,(None,),(None,),None,None

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)
    153     def _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final=noop):
--> 154         try:       self(f'before_{event_type}')       ;f()
    155         except ex: self(f'after_cancel_{event_type}')
    156         finally:   self(f'after_{event_type}')        ;final()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_fit(self)
    194         for epoch in range(self.n_epoch):
    195             self.epoch=epoch
--> 196             self._with_events(self._do_epoch, 'epoch', CancelEpochException)
    198     def fit(self, n_epoch, lr=None, wd=None, cbs=None, reset_opt=False):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_epoch(self)
    189     def _do_epoch(self):
--> 190         self._do_epoch_train()
    191         self._do_epoch_validate()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_epoch_train(self)
    180     def _do_epoch_train(self):
    181         self.dl = self.dls.train
--> 182         self._with_events(self.all_batches, 'train', CancelTrainException)
    184     def _do_epoch_validate(self, ds_idx=1, dl=None):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in all_batches(self)
    158     def all_batches(self):
    159         self.n_iter = len(self.dl)
--> 160         for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
    162     def _do_one_batch(self):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in one_batch(self, i, b)
    176         self.iter = i
    177         self._split(b)
--> 178         self._with_events(self._do_one_batch, 'batch', CancelBatchException)
    180     def _do_epoch_train(self):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_one_batch(self)
    164         self('after_pred')
    165         if len(self.yb): self.loss = self.loss_func(self.pred, *self.yb)
--> 166         self('after_loss')
    167         if not self.training or not len(self.yb): return
    168         self('before_backward')

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in __call__(self, event_name)
    130     def ordered_cbs(self, event): return [cb for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs) if hasattr(cb, event)]
--> 132     def __call__(self, event_name): L(event_name).map(self._call_one)
    134     def _call_one(self, event_name):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in map(self, f, gen, *args, **kwargs)
    218     def range(cls, a, b=None, step=None): return cls(range_of(a, b=b, step=step))
--> 220     def map(self, f, *args, gen=False, **kwargs): return self._new(map_ex(self, f, *args, gen=gen, **kwargs))
    221     def argwhere(self, f, negate=False, **kwargs): return self._new(argwhere(self, f, negate, **kwargs))
    222     def filter(self, f=noop, negate=False, gen=False, **kwargs):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/basics.py in map_ex(iterable, f, gen, *args, **kwargs)
    603     res = map(g, iterable)
    604     if gen: return res
--> 605     return list(res)
    607 # Cell

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/basics.py in __call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
    593             if isinstance(v,_Arg): kwargs[k] = args.pop(v.i)
    594         fargs = [args[x.i] if isinstance(x, _Arg) else x for x in self.pargs] + args[self.maxi+1:]
--> 595         return self.func(*fargs, **kwargs)
    597 # Cell

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _call_one(self, event_name)
    135         assert hasattr(event, event_name), event_name
--> 136         [cb(event_name) for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs)]
    138     def _bn_bias_state(self, with_bias): return norm_bias_params(self.model, with_bias).map(self.opt.state)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in <listcomp>(.0)
    135         assert hasattr(event, event_name), event_name
--> 136         [cb(event_name) for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs)]
    138     def _bn_bias_state(self, with_bias): return norm_bias_params(self.model, with_bias).map(self.opt.state)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/callback/core.py in __call__(self, event_name)
     42                (self.run_valid and not getattr(self, 'training', False)))
     43         res = None
---> 44         if self.run and _run: res = getattr(self, event_name, noop)()
     45         if event_name=='after_fit': self.run=True #Reset self.run to True at each end of fit
     46         return res

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/callback/rnn.py in after_loss(self)
     31     def after_loss(self):
     32         if not self.training: return
---> 33         if self.alpha != 0.:  self.learn.loss += self.alpha * self.out.float().pow(2).mean()
     34         if self.beta != 0.:
     35             h = self.raw_out

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/torch_core.py in __torch_function__(self, func, types, args, kwargs)
    316     def __torch_function__(self, func, types, args=(), kwargs=None):
--> 317         with torch._C.DisableTorchFunction(): ret = _convert(func(*args, **(kwargs or {})), self.__class__)
    318         if isinstance(ret, TensorBase): ret.set_meta(self, as_copy=True)
    319         return ret

RuntimeError: Expected all tensors to be on the same device, but found at least two devices, cuda:0 and cpu!

Hey,

It seems we are not getting anywhere. Like I said before, you can move your data and model between devices as needed. If you would like for me to be able to help you debug an error like that, then you need to provide fully reproducible code, such as a Colab notebook (which includes access to your dataset or a similar one). Chances are something is wrong with your environment / data / code, and it’s not possible to help you unless you provide that.

Sorry I meant that I did switch environments multiple times, from Paperspace to Google Colab and reran the code from scratch following the guides and still received the errors. Looking into it in more detail, it looks like the problem comes from setting the loss_func to RMSE. When I wrote my own RMSE error function, I no longer receive that error.