Need Startup Advise

Hi,

Will I be equipped with enough skills to start an AI Startup, after finishing the fastai course (Part 1 & Part 2).

Are there any notable alumni who found AI Startups after finishing the course?
If so, can anyone please provide any references of such folks!

Also, can you please advise on Starting Up in AI (after finishing the course) - which is what I want to do, instead of looking for a job.

1 Like

Hello Bachi.

Welcome to the fastai forums.
fastai teaches you how to train ML/DL models with state-of-the-art methods and teaches you this from a practical point of view (you will be training models along the way).

Finding an area you want to apply deep learning is now in your hands. That being said, it will be easier for you to apply what you have learned and create useful models or companies because of the top-down approach of fastai.

A lot of people finish fastai and go on to create successful startups or work for AI companies. I am not sure there is a compiled list of these but you can watch Lesson 0 by Jeremy where he talks about these issues:

I don’t think you can get specific startup advice (maybe I am wrong) but just do the course and train models in your area of interest and you will be halfway there.

Cheers. Good luck on your journey

3 Likes

Hi Jimmie,

Thank you.

Hi, it mostly depends on your idea, because there are many different tasks that can be solved. If you want image recognition, it would be enough to do the first lesson, but for voice recognition, you’d have to get some additional learning. There’s also a chance that you’ll be able to get a model from open source and apply it or use some API.

Keep in mind that you’ll need to have a steady income for at least a year or two while building your startup, and you’ll probably need to learn marketing or find a marketing cofounder. So, you would probably want to start freelancing to have flexible hours. If you implement a few machine learning tasks, it will give you some experience for your own startup.

2 Likes

@uluhonolulu

Hi Artem,
Thank you for all the advise.

@Bachy

Hey Jake, watch this video at the below time stamps :

• 7:27 - 8:50
  • 48:30 - 01:05:00
  • 01:38:00 - 01:40:00
2 Likes

Thank your for adding this video!!! I’m new to the course and got to the second lecture before finding this video and I wish I had saw this video before I started!

~Bryon

1 Like

Starting a startup can be challenging, but exciting at the same time. My advice would be to focus on building a strong foundation for your business, which includes conducting market research, creating a solid business plan, and finding the right team. It’s also important to be open to feedback and continuously iterate on your product or service. If you need more specific advice or guidance, I recommend reaching out to experienced entrepreneurs like Jeremy K. Houghton: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremykhoughton/, who can provide valuable insights and support. You got this!

It’s been a long time but it’s great to hear that you’re interested in starting an AI startup after completing the futsal course. The futsal course can provide you with a solid foundation in AI and machine learning, equipping you with valuable skills to pursue your entrepreneurial goals.

It’s important to identify a specific problem or niche within the AI space that you’re passionate about and that has market potential. Conduct thorough market research to validate your idea and assess the competition.
Additionally, networking within the AI community can be invaluable. Attend industry events, join relevant online communities, and connect with like-minded individuals who share your passion for AI. Building a strong network can lead to potential partnerships, mentorship opportunities, and access to resources.
Lastly, when it comes to optimizing your online presence and attracting relevant traffic, you might want to consider utilizing tools and services like searchseo.io. They can provide valuable insights and strategies for enhancing your website’s search engine visibility.