Nbdev v2 launched

Yes, use #| exports instead of #| export. (The s at the end is for show).

2 Likes

Whew, I finally got it! Yeah! (I was writing in this post about my failed attempts, and suddenly I realized the cause of the problem… so, keep sharing in the forum is very helpful indeed.)

The cause of my problem is I should not have exported more than one notebook to the same library module. When I exported 3 notebooks to the same module core, only one notebook will be exported, which actually makes sense because nbdev probably is designed and is intended to use each notebook as a separate module.

I don’t think nbdev tutorial has mentioned it, or has it?

Could we enable nbdev to allow more than one notebooks to export to the same module? I think it can be useful.

Possibly! We’ll keep it in mind.

Perfect, thank you @jeremy !

On that note, I had a question about this function in the 09_processors.ipnb notebook in the nbdev source:

def _do_eval(cell):
    _show_dirs = {'export','exports','exporti','exec_doc'}

I know now what export and exports do, but what about exporti? After trying it, I can’t tell if it does anything different than export.

It’s internal. It’s not added to __all__ – just as if you’d prefixed the function name with _.

1 Like

An unexpected behavior of README.md in nbdev

I though README.md is just non essential in making nbdev work smoothly. So, I have removed it. But I was wrong.

When I run pip install -e ., I have the following error message:

Then I wanted to create a README.md file by nbdev_docs, then error says I am missing a module which is in my lib folder.

The problem above seems to be a loop. But the problem is solved when I copied an earlier version of README.md.

Hi @jeremy you mentioned there will be session on nbdev this week from last week APL session, could you talk more about the future sessions on nbdev?

I said there might be – but I’m not starting them this week. Will post in this category before they start.

8 Likes

What caused this CI error?

I have updated fastcore and nbdev, and nbdev_prepare and nbdev_preview both worked fine. But I still get this CI error from github after git push. Where should I check next?

Are you sure you have the latest fastcore? That argument was just added

1 Like

Thanks, it resolved. Not sure how exactly

Hello nbdev community,

I keep getting the following error even after applying nbdev_export and pushing the content to my repo.

Error: Notebooks and library are not in sync. Please run nbdev_export.

Any idea why?

Just realized that I was using a slightly older nbdev version.

pip3 install --upgrade --force-reinstall nbdev

solved the issue.

2 Likes

#|filter_stream seems not working

The middle two lines which are supposed to be removed are still there. Where do I get wrong?

It should look like this

@Daniel directives don’t take any effect in the notebook editor itself, they only affect the result of other commands like export, docs, tests, etc. If you do nbdev_preview and navigate to that notebook’s web page, you should see that those lines were removed

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

1 Like

Never include import ... in a cell with other codes

When I ran a cell like this

from fastcore.meta import delegates as dg

defaults.src = inspect.getsource(dg) # user input, must have
defaults.deb = inspect.getsource(delegatesdb) # user input, must have
defaults.checksource() # user input, must have

I have the following error

After you split them into two cells, meaning let import to have its own cell, then the error is gone.

2 Likes

Yep, nbdev is supposed to warn you if you mix imports with code in unexported cells. Are you on the latest version? We also have a section on the FAQ describing it: nbdev - Getting started

2 Likes

I see that documentation generated with #|export comes with a source link alongside the documentation in the nbdev tutorial (here for example), which is nice.

However, this source link does not show up on my documentation (here for example). Is there an option I need to enable?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Are you using the latest version of nbdev? This was added recently