My first gold medal

Hi Everyone,

I just won my first gold medal in the APTOS 2019 competition. I am experincing emotional overdose =) I just wanted to thank everyone in this community for having such a positive and encouraging attitude towards deep learning.

Two years ago I started from scratch, I did not know anything about deep learning and had very little experience with python. I was part of early days of fastai and regullary took all the courses and did all the reading that was recommended on the forums also in parallel I was applying newly acquired knowledge to practice by participating in Kaggle competitions.

Description of our solution is here (https://www.kaggle.com/c/aptos2019-blindness-detection/discussion/108030#latest-621520

). I used all the best practices from the fastai course. I will make a medium post at some point where I will write in details =)

Thank you very much everyone for making deep learning open, fun and easily accessible =)

P.S

special thanks to @jeremy

76 Likes

Congratulations! Well done!!!

1 Like

Please make a detailed post with multiple parts.

How did you start?

How did you overcame the initial mental barrier and started doing projects ?

How did you use fastai library to your advantage ?

How did you start kaggle competetions ?

6 Likes

Looking forward towards the blogpost!

Fantastic! I’m looking forward to hearing about your journey too - please do tell us all about what you’ve been doing over the last 2 years. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Congratulations, that’s amazing! Well done! Very much looking forward to your post.

1 Like

Awesome work @DrHB! I learnt heaps through your posts on the competition forums, thanks for sharing all of your insights and congrats again on your result!

1 Like

Awesome !! many congrats :smiley: I achieved my first silver medal in the same.

Thanks a lot to @jeremy and fast.ai ! I first time used EfficientNets with fastai in this competition. Amazing experience :smiley:

2 Likes

Glad finally meet you in the forum.

And thank you very much for your effort! I got my first silver my following your reports.
Congrats again for your gold!

2 Likes

Congratulations!
That’s great. I did that competition as well, I was at lesson 4 of the Fast.ai MOOC, so not much background but I wanted to try it. I got about half way in the leaderboard, 1400 out of 2900.

2 Likes

Well done DrHB :trophy:. your story will inspire many others.
Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley::smiley:

Congrats, dude! :relaxed::clap::muscle:

Hi Just want to update. I have now 2nd gold medal =) Again I want to thank fastai community and forums. I found the best way to get ideas and tricks is to go thru forum posts =) Since I have now time due to coronavirus lock down, I am gonna do detailed write up using fastapages and share codes for APTOS and Bengali competition using fastai v2 =)

14 Likes

Congratulations

Hello Again =)

Just want to update again =)
Our team got 2nd place in PANDA competition https://www.kaggle.com/c/prostate-cancer-grade-assessment/overview . This is my 3rd gold medal using only FastAi. As per usual I did everything in Fastai you can read my detailed write up here: https://www.kaggle.com/c/prostate-cancer-grade-assessment/discussion/169108 . I will release all the code after our team finish finalizing for the organizers =)

Again, I am very thankful to the community and to Jeremy for doing online courses and teaching us how to do deep learning correctly.

16 Likes

Won’t you show your notebook? I am curious about how you used fastai’s API.

Amazing! can you share your notebooks and show us how you use fastai , Thanks!