Multilingual ULMFiT

I’m very happy to share the Dutch dataset and the weights of the trained language model!

However, for the former, I’m not sure whether I can publish it, since the contents are scraped. I’ve read the website’s disclaimer and there’s nothing in it that forbids it, but I’m still not quite sure about legal issues :sweat_smile:

For language model weights, do you have pointers how I can best package and describe it? I’ve never shared network weights before.

2 Likes

I believe that in most jurisdictions scraping is allowed, unless it is explicitly restricted by the TOS of the site.

@jeremy That sounds promising!

I still wanted to give credits to the owners of the website and its reviewers, so I’ve sent them an email to see if they’re open for this kind of publication. I’ve already tidied up my code and the dataset itself, so it’s ready for publication. I’m just waiting for a response from them now… Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Please take note of this breaking change coming in v1.0.43

2 Likes

@sgugger: thanks for the heads-up!

@piotr.czapla: considering recent developments in the FastAI library, what’s the status of ulmfit-multilingual? I’ve used slightly edited versions of those scripts to generate a language model for Dutch. Is this still the way to go?

@benjaminvdb, Good work, and on time so we can add it to the paper that summarise multilingual ULMFiT.

Recently @mkardas made ulmfit-multlingual compatible with the fastai, we have it in a separate branch that I’m looking in to merging to master tomorrow.

Gals & Guys we are summarising the work on ulmfit-multilingual, and @sebastianruder is writing a short paper.
I’m going through the forum threads and I’m adding ppl that contributed some interesting tests to a private thread, but there is a chance I’ve missed something. If you feel you should be added please let me know.

You can check if you are in the thread by following this link. If I missed you please let me know on private message or thread @ mention me in your language that shows the results.

The paper has a deadline soon (end of Feb). If you would like your results to be added we need to have a pull request by next week that includes:

• the code to download your dataset
  • the “.md” with the results
  • and links to pretrained LM weights.

So we can run the classification task to double check the results are reproducible without need to train the full LM. If you happen to contribute to the language covered by MLDoc the LM’s won’t be necessery as we will have both lstm and qrnn based one.

4 Likes

Just to chip in, everyone who contributed a dataset and achieved good results that we can reproduce on the data will be included on the paper. Please provide additionally the following information in the PR so that it will be easier to attribute the work:

• your first name and last name;
  • your preferred affiliation;
  • your email address.

Thanks for your efforts!

4 Likes

Finalizing results for Thai to use fastai 1.0.38 and above (previous results and datasets are based on 1.0.22). Do you have a hard deadline for the pull request? @sebastianruder

Edit: sorry I think I saw this 12 days too late :frowning:

Hi all!

I’m DS @ KPN, NLP practitioner and leader of mlcourse.ai.
Currently doing SSL in parallel with English (amazon product reviews) and Dutch texts. Have tried a lot of models and approaches, and currently ULMFiT works best for reviews in English.

@benjaminvdb thanks a lot for sharing the pretrained Dutch model!
I only regret that found this thread so late. If any contribution from my side needed - I’m open.

2 Likes

Hello)
As far as I know, the fastai library is open to any kind of useful contribution. See the link.
Best regards))

1 Like

Hi, all!

some months ago I trained an ULMFiT model for Portuguese, but this was pre fastai v1. I want to give it a try again with v1 and in the context of the multilingual ULMFiT. I am looking for some guidance on the corpus to start with.

I noticed while doing it the first before that En Wikitext-103 text quality is much better than the pt.wikipedia articles I got in the dump. The reason is that they get it from the featured pages. There is no specific dump for featured wikipedia pages in portuguese. Moreover there are fewer featured pt pages anyway.

I wonder how have you chosen the input data. Any guidance on this issue?

@fredguth: It’s true that regular Wikipedia dumps are not as clean as Wikitext-103. However, I’ve trained a few language models on the Dutch Wikipedia and it performed pretty well, i.e., I was able to train good classifiers on very small datasets.

For example, I achieved 88% accuracy on a binary classification problem (sentiment with two polarities: neutral and positive) on only 250 examples. This can only mean that the LM was able to catch language basics pretty well and it didn’t have to learn them from the target dataset.

The question is whether you really need curated data for training your LM. It might be that instead of spending time on this, it would be more productive to use more data, e.g., CommonCrawl. I don’t know the answer to this question though.

2 Likes

I am trying to train the lm model, but I cant make it work. Preprocess was ok. Can someone point me what am I doing wrong? I have tried removing --bs=40 and still does not work

~/Code/ulmfit-multilingual pt* 1m 8s
❯ python -m ulmfit lm --dataset-path data/wiki/pt-100 --bidir=False --qrnn=False --tokenizer=f --name ‘bs40’ --bs=40 --cuda-id=0 - train 20 --drop-mult=0.9
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/fredguth/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/runpy.py”, line 193, in _run_module_as_main
main”, mod_spec)
File “/home/fredguth/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/runpy.py”, line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File “/home/fredguth/Code/ulmfit-multilingual/ulmfit/main.py”, line 121, in
fire.Fire(ULMFiT())
File “/home/fredguth/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fire/core.py”, line 127, in Fire
component_trace = _Fire(component, args, context, name)
File “/home/fredguth/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fire/core.py”, line 366, in _Fire
component, remaining_args)
File “/home/fredguth/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fire/core.py”, line 542, in _CallCallable
result = fn(*varargs, **kwargs)
File “/home/fredguth/Code/ulmfit-multilingual/ulmfit/main.py”, line 38, in lm
params = LMHyperParams(**changes)
TypeError: init() got an unexpected keyword argument ‘bs’

Ok, it was a very stupid mistake: I forgot to point my fastai library to the fastai repo with the right branch.

@piotr.czapla I noticed that this branch is active for sometime now. Is there a deadline for merging with fast.ai master branch? Also, I understood that one of the goals of this thread is that there was a wish of using these pretrained models somehow in a conference which is past due. Is there still a reason to keep this as branch? Is there some goal we are trying to reach?

1 Like

We posted the paper and are waiting for the review I haven’t yet managed to merge all the code and update it to the newest fast.ai as we had another conference where we were using ULMFiT that we have learned about 2 weeks before the deadline so we had a thought time.

2 Likes

What is the setup required to clone and get https://github.com/n-waves/ulmfit-multilingual up and running locally?

Cloned the repo but I get errors when enabling qrnn or just trying to retrain running the code in the readme:

$ LANG=en
$ python -m ulmfit lm --dataset-path data/wiki/${LANG}-100 --tokenizer='f' --nl 3 --name 'orig' --max-vocab 60000 \ 
        --lang ${LANG} --qrnn=True - train 2 --bs=50 --drop_mult=0.5  --label-smoothing-eps=0.2

Thanks

Hey @piotr.czapla!

Seems we are on the same track. Did you manage to deploy a model trained with ULMFiT using Torch.JIT? If yes would be great if you could share your experience. :slight_smile:

@piotr.czapla, @sebastianruder

dumb question - if i understood correctly this thread is about creating ULMFit model per language. Are there any plans to create single model for multiple languages (like BERT)?