Multi Object Detection - Error lr_find() fastai v2

Hello everyone,

I’m developing a project about the lecture of chest x-rays images, it’s my first ever project on Deep Learning.
I’m trying to make functional a Multi Object Detection notebook originally created by my professors as a Single Object Detection notebook.

The issue I have is that when I run the function lr_find() I get the following error:
RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8) must match the size of tensor b (4) at non-singleton dimension 2

The goal is to detect for each chest x-ray image of the dataset the lungs of the image separately by creating one bounding box for each lung. The following image illustrates the goal:
output

At the end of this message I post the key parts of the notebook.

I would appreciate any suggestions to help me fix the error mentioned before.

Thank you.

Notebook’s Code:

def get_bboxes(f):
PILImage.create(path+f)
# Get the annotations of the bounding boxes of the lungs of the rx image with filename “f”
fullAnnot = np.genfromtxt(img2txt_name(Path(f)))
bboxes = np.zeros((2,4))
for i in range(len(fullAnnot)):
cx = int(fullAnnot[i][1]*img.size[0])
cy = int(fullAnnot[i][2]*img.size[1])
w = int(fullAnnot[i][3]*img.size[0])
h = int(fullAnnot[i][4]*img.size[1])
bbox= np.zeros(4)
#minx miny maxX maxY
bbox[0] = float(cx-w/2.0)#/img.size[0]#*img_size
bbox[1] = float(cy-h/2.0)#/img.size[1]#*img_size
bbox[2] = float(cx+w/2.0)#/img.size[0]#*img_size
bbox[3] = float(cy+h/2.0)#/img.size[1]#*img_size
bboxes[i] = bbox
return bboxes

def get_labels(f):
labels = fullAnnot[:,0]
return labels

get_y = [lambda o: get_bboxes(o.name), lambda o: get_labels(o.name)] # lambda o: means for each file on the dataset, o.name = filename

data = DataBlock(
blocks=(ImageBlock, BBoxBlock,BBoxLblBlock), # ImageBlock means type of inputs are images; BBoxBlock & BBoxLblBlock = type of targets are BBoxes & their labels
get_items=get_image_files,
n_inp=1, # number of inputs; it’s 1 because the only inputs are the rx images (ImageBlock)
get_y=get_y, # get_y = targets [bboxes, labels]; get_x = inputs
splitter = RandomSplitter (0.1), # split training/validation; parameter 0.1 means there will be 10% of validation images
batch_tfms= [*aug_transforms(do_flip=False, size=(120,160)), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats)]
)

class LungDetector(nn.Module):
def init(self, arch=models.resnet18): # resnet18 has 18 lineal layers and it’s the default arch if none arch is set as parameter
super().init()
self.cnn = create_body(arch) # cut off the body of a typically pretrained arch
self.head = create_head(num_features_model(self.cnn), 4+4)

def forward(self, im):
    x = self.cnn(im)
    x = self.head(x)
    return 2 * (x.sigmoid_() - 0.5)

def loss_fn(preds, targs, class_idxs):
return L1Loss()(preds, targs.squeeze())

learn = Learner(dls, LungDetector(arch=models.resnet50), loss_func=loss_fn)
learn.metrics = [lambda preds, targs, _: IoU(preds, targs.squeeze()).mean()]
learn._split([learn.model.cnn[:6], learn.model.cnn[6:], learn.model.head])
learn.freeze_to(-1)
learn.lr_find()

Are there always 2 bounding boxes in your images? It’s a bit hard to know without being able to run this, but it appears that when you are loading your bbox coordinates you are creating a 2 dimensional array (lung_id (2) x bbox_values (4)) or a 2x4 matrix. When you are creating the head it looks like you’re creating a 1 dimensional matrix 1 x 8 output from the model. The shapes of your model output and labels need to match. You probably want to create a 1x8 matrix when you load the bounding boxes. I’m not 100% sure this is the problem (or that it’s the only problem) but I would start by looking at the shapes to make sure they match. The dataloader and model will add the batch dimension automatically to the beginning of both the model input and target.

Yes, on each image there should be two bounding boxes, one for the lung left and another for the lung right.

Although I didn’t mention it, before creating this topic I tried to solve the error by trying the following:

1. Set the model’s ouput size as 2x4 and load the bboxes with the same size as the model’s ouput.
  2. (the option you suggested me). Set the model output size as 1x8 and load the bboxes with the same size as the model’s ouput.

About the first option, the change I did from the code posted on the first message is:
self.head = create_head(num_features_model(self.cnn), (2,4)).
I got the following error while running “learn = Learner(dls, LungDetector(arch=models.resnet50), loss_func=loss_fn)”:

TypeError : empty() received an invalid combination of arguments - got (tuple, dtype=NoneType, device=NoneType), but expected one of: * (tuple of ints size, *, tuple of names names, torch.memory_format memory_format, torch.dtype dtype, torch.layout layout, torch.device device, bool pin_memory, bool requires_grad) * (tuple of ints size, *, torch.memory_format memory_format, Tensor out, torch.dtype dtype, torch.layout layout, torch.device device, bool pin_memory, bool requires_grad)

I thought it was possible to create a 2D output of a model but it seems it isn’t possible.

About the second option, the change I did is on the function get_bboxes, specifically I concatenated the two bounding boxes of an image to be in the same array to make it have size 1x8 as the model output.
Next, I post the get_bboxes function modified:

def get_bboxes(f):
img = PILImage.create(path+f)
# Get the annotations of the bounding boxes of the lungs of the rx image with filename “f”
bboxes = np.zeros((2,4))
for i in range(len(fullAnnot)):
cx = int(fullAnnot[i][1]*img.size[0])
cy = int(fullAnnot[i][2]*img.size[1])
w = int(fullAnnot[i][3]*img.size[0])
h = int(fullAnnot[i][4]*img.size[1])
bbox= np.zeros(4)
#minx miny maxX maxY
bbox[0] = float(cx-w/2.0)#/img.size[0]#*img_size
bbox[1] = float(cy-h/2.0)#/img.size[1]#*img_size
bbox[2] = float(cx+w/2.0)#/img.size[0]#*img_size
bbox[3] = float(cy+h/2.0)#/img.size[1]#*img_size
bboxes[i] = bbox
bboxesCompact = np.concatenate(bboxes, axis=None) # concat on the same row the coords of the bbox of the lung left with the one of the Lung Right
# bboxesCompact’s size is (1,8)
return bboxesCompact

When I run the notebook following the second option, I get the same error stated on the initital message:
RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8) must match the size of tensor b (4) at non-singleton dimension 2.

I understand the error happens because for each image I have an array of size (1,8) with the bboxes coordinates for the lungs combined but the labels list size is (2,1).For each image, the labels list is [0.0, 1.0] (0.0 for the lung left and 1.0 for the lung right).

I don’t know which is the right format to make sure predictions, targets & labels match properly.
I hope that with the previous comments on the attempts I tried I make it’s easier to help me find a solution.

The output of your model can have any dimensions you want, however, fastai’s defaults and high level API’s might not work for more unusual output sizes, so you may have to add some of your own custom implementations to get everything to work together properly. Are you trying to predict a class for your bounding boxes or just the location/size of the bounding boxes? It looks like you’re only really trying to predict the bounding box locations, but your Datablock contains a bounding box label (classification) block which would not be needed. Because you are always going to have exactly 2 bounding boxes you can get away with your model output essentially being a simple regression output for the 4 parameters for each bounding box. In the past I’ve only seen examples with exactly 1 bounding box which only requires a simple regression model or with a variable amount of bounding boxes per image which requires a more complex object detection model. Either of these model types should work for what you’re trying to do. Your current model is set up as the simpler regression type model. I would start out by looking at what sizes your Datablock dataloaders are outputting and making sure it matches the shape of your model output. You can get a batch from your dataloader by calling one_batch() and examine its shape. I would also print out the shape at the output of your model in the forward pass. Another spot where shape can be problematic is in your loss function (even if the shapes from your dataloader and model are the same) due to how the loss calculation happens, so you may need to look at the loss function implementation as well. Are you working with a public or private dataset? If it’s public can you share a link?

As a side note if you do want to go with a more complex object detection model, I would check out GitHub - airctic/icevision: An Agnostic Computer Vision Framework - Pluggable to any Training Library: Fastai, Pytorch-Lightning with more to come . I don’t personally have much experience with object detection models, but this repo should be a helpful starting point and supports fast.ai.

You definitely picked a more challenging starter project than most people do, but it looks like quite a bit of your code is on the right track.

You may want to check this out and see if you can get your model up and running with a single bounding box for the left lung and then work on modifying things to get it working for multiple bounding boxes. Share your V2 projects here - #376 by idraja

Hi @matdmiller,

I noticed I don’t need to predict the classes of the bounding boxes because the goal is to predict their coordinates, so I could just remove the BboxLblBlock from the DataBlock but for the moment I’ll keep the labels because they aren’t causing the error, although I might end up not using them.

After debugging the notebook I know the error is been caused by a missmatch of shapes between the predictions and targets tensors. The predictions have shape (64,8) and the targets have shape (64,2,4) where 64 is the batch size.
I don’t know how to make the tensors shapes match, because making the ouput of the model 2D would suppose changing the original implementation of fastai of the method create_head() from class Learner to accept a tuple (2,4) as the number of outputs, because the number of outputs is expected to be an integer.
The other option I considered and commented to you is storing the 2 bboxes on a 1x8 matrix on the get_bboxes function, but the issue is that when the bboxes are loaded in the DataLoader the matrix’s shape is converted into 2x4.

I’ve check out the Github repository you attached based on Complex Object Detection. I’ll try to solve the error by trying to use just fast.ai, so I can keep the same structure of the notebook and if I’m not able to solve the error by using fast.ai I’ll try to solve it taking the Github repo code as reference.

I’m working on a dataset that one of my professors sended to me. I think he downloaded it from Kaggle but I’m not sure.

Before trying to make functional the notebook with 2 bounding boxes I was able to make functional the original notebook of just 1 bbox for the 2 lungs.
What I’ve been doing mostly since starting the project is updating the notebooks implemented by my professors so they can run well and there isn’t any obsolete function, so I can use these notebooks for future tasks of the project.

As you said it’s a challenging project specially because I’m a beginner on Deep Learning. I’ve readen the chapters of the book of the book “Deep learning for coders with fastai and pytorch” I considered necessary for my project but there are a lot of concepts I don’t understand yet. I’ll watch & take notes of YouTube tutorials from FreeCodeCamp so I can understand specially how a CNN is structured.

I appreciate your suggestions, I’ll ask a user that I have seen he made a YouTube video on Object Detection, so can help me find a solution as soon as possible.

Hi @muellerzr,

I’m contacting you because I’ve seen your Youtube video on Object Detection (A walk with fastai2 - Vision - Lesson 6, Keypoint Regression, Hybrid Models, Object Detection - YouTube) and I wanted to ask you if you could help me find a solution to the error I stated on this topic.

The error is: RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8) must match the size of tensor b (4) at non-singleton dimension 2. It’s produced when the function learn.lr_find() is executed.
The tensors the error is referring to are the targets and the predictions. The predictions have shape (64,8) and the targets have shape (64,2,4) where 64 is the batch size.

I would appreciate if you could help me find a solution because it’s been 3 days since I started with this problem and I don’t know what do I need to change from the notebook’s code to fix the error. (See the notebook’s key parts on the first message of the topic)

The stack trace error is:

UserWarning: Using a target size (torch.Size([64, 2, 4])) that is different to the input size (torch.Size([64, 8])). This will likely lead to incorrect results due to broadcasting. Please ensure they have the same size. ret = func(*args, **kwargs)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
~\AppData\Local\Temp\ipykernel_18456\2451463369.py in <module>
      1 # Find a good learning rate with the learning rate finder
----> 3 learn.lr_find()
      4 # NOTE: when running the above line an error is returned: running_mean should contain 4096 elements not 8192
      5 # What is running_mean and why it should have 4096 elements?

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\callback\schedule.py in lr_find(self, start_lr, end_lr, num_it, stop_div, show_plot, suggest_funcs)
    283     n_epoch = num_it//len(self.dls.train) + 1
    284     cb=LRFinder(start_lr=start_lr, end_lr=end_lr, num_it=num_it, stop_div=stop_div)
--> 285     with self.no_logging(): self.fit(n_epoch, cbs=cb)
    286     if suggest_funcs is not None:
    287         lrs, losses = tensor(self.recorder.lrs[num_it//10:-5]), tensor(self.recorder.losses[num_it//10:-5])

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in fit(self, n_epoch, lr, wd, cbs, reset_opt)
    219             self.opt.set_hypers(lr=self.lr if lr is None else lr)
    220             self.n_epoch = n_epoch
--> 221             self._with_events(self._do_fit, 'fit', CancelFitException, self._end_cleanup)
    223     def _end_cleanup(self): self.dl,self.xb,self.yb,self.pred,self.loss = None,(None,),(None,),None,None

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)
    162     def _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final=noop):
--> 163         try: self(f'before_{event_type}');  f()
    164         except ex: self(f'after_cancel_{event_type}')
    165         self(f'after_{event_type}');  final()

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _do_fit(self)
    210         for epoch in range(self.n_epoch):
    211             self.epoch=epoch
--> 212             self._with_events(self._do_epoch, 'epoch', CancelEpochException)
    214     def fit(self, n_epoch, lr=None, wd=None, cbs=None, reset_opt=False):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _do_epoch(self)
    205     def _do_epoch(self):
--> 206         self._do_epoch_train()
    207         self._do_epoch_validate()

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _do_epoch_train(self)
    196     def _do_epoch_train(self):
    197         self.dl = self.dls.train
--> 198         self._with_events(self.all_batches, 'train', CancelTrainException)
    200     def _do_epoch_validate(self, ds_idx=1, dl=None):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in all_batches(self)
    167     def all_batches(self):
    168         self.n_iter = len(self.dl)
--> 169         for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
    171     def _do_one_batch(self):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in one_batch(self, i, b)
    192         b = self._set_device(b)
    193         self._split(b)
--> 194         self._with_events(self._do_one_batch, 'batch', CancelBatchException)
    196     def _do_epoch_train(self):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\learner.py in _do_one_batch(self)
    173         self('after_pred')
    174         if len(self.yb):
--> 175             self.loss_grad = self.loss_func(self.pred, *self.yb)
    176             self.loss = self.loss_grad.clone()
    177         self('after_loss')

<ipython-input-59-bf592cbdc4b7> in loss_fn(preds, targs, class_idxs)
      1 def loss_fn(preds, targs, class_idxs):
----> 2     return L1Loss()(preds, targs.squeeze())

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
   1100         if not (self._backward_hooks or self._forward_hooks or self._forward_pre_hooks or _global_backward_hooks
   1101                 or _global_forward_hooks or _global_forward_pre_hooks):
-> 1102             return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
   1103         # Do not call functions when jit is used
   1104         full_backward_hooks, non_full_backward_hooks = [], []

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\loss.py in forward(self, input, target)
     95     def forward(self, input: Tensor, target: Tensor) -> Tensor:
---> 96         return F.l1_loss(input, target, reduction=self.reduction)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in l1_loss(input, target, size_average, reduce, reduction)
   3066     if has_torch_function_variadic(input, target):
   3067         return handle_torch_function(
-> 3068             l1_loss, (input, target), input, target, size_average=size_average, reduce=reduce, reduction=reduction
   3069         )
   3070     if not (target.size() == input.size()):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\overrides.py in handle_torch_function(public_api, relevant_args, *args, **kwargs)
   1353         # Use `public_api` instead of `implementation` so __torch_function__
   1354         # implementations can do equality/identity comparisons.
-> 1355         result = torch_func_method(public_api, types, args, kwargs)
   1357         if result is not NotImplemented:

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\torch_core.py in __torch_function__(self, func, types, args, kwargs)
    338         convert=False
    339         if _torch_handled(args, self._opt, func): convert,types = type(self),(torch.Tensor,)
--> 340         res = super().__torch_function__(func, types, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
    341         if convert: res = convert(res)
    342         if isinstance(res, TensorBase): res.set_meta(self, as_copy=True)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\_tensor.py in __torch_function__(cls, func, types, args, kwargs)
   1050         with _C.DisableTorchFunction():
-> 1051             ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
   1052             if func in get_default_nowrap_functions():
   1053                 return ret

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in l1_loss(input, target, size_average, reduce, reduction)
   3078         reduction = _Reduction.legacy_get_string(size_average, reduce)
-> 3080     expanded_input, expanded_target = torch.broadcast_tensors(input, target)
   3081     return torch._C._nn.l1_loss(expanded_input, expanded_target, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction))

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\functional.py in broadcast_tensors(*tensors)
     70     if has_torch_function(tensors):
     71         return handle_torch_function(broadcast_tensors, tensors, *tensors)
---> 72     return _VF.broadcast_tensors(tensors)  # type: ignore[attr-defined]

RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8) must match the size of tensor b (4) at non-singleton dimension 2

I think you may be able to resolve the pred/target shape issue by creating a custom ‘block’ based on the BBoxBlock, specifically modifying (creating your own new version of) the bb_pad function to output the 2 bounding boxes as a 1x8 instead of 2x4 matrix.

BBoxBlock:

bb_pad:

Adding bbox = torch.reshape(bbox,-1) after bbox = torch.cat([bbox,bbox.new_zeros(max_len-bbox.shape[0], 4)])
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/generated/torch.reshape.html#torch.reshape

Alternatively you should be able to make your model output be 2x4 but you’ll have to make sure your loss function supports that, and if not, make a custom version of the one you’re using that does.

1 Like

Later on today i’ll modify the bb_pad() function following the way you suggested.

If the error persists I’ll try the other option that is to set the model output shape as (2,4) by creating a custom create_head() function. Then I’d make the loss function accept a 2D model output by creating a custom loss function if it’s necessary.

I’ll inform you if I’ve managed to solve the error.

I created a custom bb_pad function.
I did a reshape of the TensorBbox to convert it’s shape from (2,4) into (8,). To do the reshape you told me to add the line “bbox = torch.reshape(bbox,-1)”, but after this line was executed I got an error saying the second parameter of reshape (-1) can’t be an int, it must be a tuple of ints. On the website you attached (torch.reshape — PyTorch 1.11.0 documentation) it indicates that the second parameter of the reshape function (new shape) must be a tuple of ints.
I changed “bbox = torch.reshape(bbox,-1)” to “bbox = torch.reshape(bbox,(-1,))” and the error I was having was fixed.

I also created a custom BboxBlock with no labels, as I don’t need the bboxes to be labeled and because also I think making the bboxes labeled is a problem because for each image I need to have the bboxes with size (8,) but the labels list have size (2,), so, the sizes don’t match. To create the custom BboxBlock I followed the example shown at Share your V2 projects here - #376 by idraja.

I deleted each line of the original bb_pad function() related to the labels because I only need to return from that function aTensorImage and a TensorBbox. I also don’t use the function clip_remove_empty() because it splits a TensorBbox of size (2,4) into to 2 TensorBbox of size (1,4).

I post the modifications I did on the code:

class NoLabelBBoxLabeler(Transform):
    """ Bounding box labeler with no label """
    def setups(self, x): noop
    def decode (self, x, **kwargs):
        self.bbox,self.lbls = None,None
        return self._call('decodes', x, **kwargs)

def decodes(self, x:TensorBBox):
        self.bbox = x
        return self.bbox if self.lbls is None else LabeledBBox(self.bbox, self.lbls)
'''
def clip_remove_empty(bbox):
    "Clip bounding boxes with image border and label background the empty ones"
    "Splits bbox of size (2,4) into to bboxes of size (1,4)"
    bbox = torch.clamp(bbox, -1, 1)
    empty = ((bbox[...,2] - bbox[...,0])*(bbox[...,3] - bbox[...,1]) <= 0.)
    return (bbox[~empty])
'''

def custom_bb_pad(samples, pad_idx=0):
    "Function that collect `samples` of bboxes and adds padding with `pad_idx`."
    #samples = [(s[0], *clip_remove_empty(*s[1:])) for s in samples] # s[0] is a tuple of TensorImage & TensorBbox, TensorBbox size is (2,4)
    #max_len = max([len(s[2]) for s in samples]) # equals to 4 (number of bbox coordinates)
    def _f(img,bbox):
        #bbox = torch.cat([bbox,bbox.new_zeros(2, 4)])
        bbox = torch.reshape(bbox,(-1,)) # convert bboxes tensor to a 1D tensor
        return img,bbox
    return [_f(*s) for s in samples]

CustomBboxBlock = TransformBlock(type_tfms=TensorBBox.create, 
                             item_tfms=[PointScaler, NoLabelBBoxLabeler], dls_kwargs = {'before_batch': custom_bb_pad})
data = DataBlock(
    blocks=(ImageBlock, CustomBboxBlock), # ImageBlock means type of inputs are images; BBoxBlock & BBoxLblBlock = type of targets are BBoxes & their labels
    get_items=get_image_files,
    n_inp=1, # number of inputs; it's 1 because the only inputs are the rx images (ImageBlock)
    get_y=[lambda o: get_bboxes(o.name)], # get_y = targets [bboxes, labels]; get_x = inputs 
    splitter = RandomSplitter (0.1), # split training/validation; parameter 0.1 means there will be 10% of validation images 
    batch_tfms= [*aug_transforms(do_flip=False, size=(120,160)), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats)] 
)

I’m stuck trying to fix an error that is produced when the line "dls.show_batch(max_n=20, figsize=(9,6))
" is executed. The error is: “IndexError: Dimension out of range (expected to be in range of [-2, 1], but got 2)”.

As you can see in the stack trace I post at the end the error doesn’t refer to the parts of code I changed, it refers to an internal function. I don’t know what is causing the error.

I also thought about creating a 2D ouput of the CNN as we commented but I don’t know how to do it, I haven’t found any documentation regarding creating a 2D ouput model. I also tried to find examples of Binary Object Detection as it’s my case on Github or a repository about lungs detection and I haven’t found anything.

I hope you or anybody can tell me what is causing the error and if the changes I did are right.
I also would appreciate if @idraja, that is the user who created the example using the BboxBlock with no labels can help me solve the error of show_batch function.

The stack trace is:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IndexError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
~\AppData\Local\Temp\ipykernel_14288\2938148043.py in <module>
      3 dls = data.dataloaders(path_dl, path=path_dl, bs = 64) # bs: how many samples per batch to load
----> 4 dls.show_batch(max_n=20, figsize=(9,6)) # NOTE: what do the values of figsize represent?
      5 # NOTE: The batch shown contains validation and training images?

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\data\core.py in show_batch(self, b, max_n, ctxs, show, unique, **kwargs)
     98             old_get_idxs = self.get_idxs
     99             self.get_idxs = lambda: Inf.zeros
--> 100         if b is None: b = self.one_batch()
    101         if not show: return self._pre_show_batch(b, max_n=max_n)
    102         show_batch(*self._pre_show_batch(b, max_n=max_n), ctxs=ctxs, max_n=max_n, **kwargs)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\data\load.py in one_batch(self)
    146     def one_batch(self):
    147         if self.n is not None and len(self)==0: raise ValueError(f'This DataLoader does not contain any batches')
--> 148         with self.fake_l.no_multiproc(): res = first(self)
    149         if hasattr(self, 'it'): delattr(self, 'it')
    150         return res

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\basics.py in first(x, f, negate, **kwargs)
    553     x = iter(x)
    554     if f: x = filter_ex(x, f=f, negate=negate, gen=True, **kwargs)
--> 555     return next(x, None)
    557 # Cell

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\data\load.py in __iter__(self)
    109         for b in _loaders[self.fake_l.num_workers==0](self.fake_l):
    110             if self.device is not None: b = to_device(b, self.device)
--> 111             yield self.after_batch(b)
    112         self.after_iter()
    113         if hasattr(self, 'it'): del(self.it)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in __call__(self, o)
    198         self.fs = self.fs.sorted(key='order')
--> 200     def __call__(self, o): return compose_tfms(o, tfms=self.fs, split_idx=self.split_idx)
    201     def __repr__(self): return f"Pipeline: {' -> '.join([f.name for f in self.fs if f.name != 'noop'])}"
    202     def __getitem__(self,i): return self.fs[i]

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in compose_tfms(x, tfms, is_enc, reverse, **kwargs)
    148     for f in tfms:
    149         if not is_enc: f = f.decode
--> 150         x = f(x, **kwargs)
    151     return x

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\vision\augment.py in __call__(self, b, split_idx, **kwargs)
     33     def __call__(self, b, split_idx=None, **kwargs):
     34         self.before_call(b, split_idx=split_idx)
---> 35         return super().__call__(b, split_idx=split_idx, **kwargs) if self.do else b
     37 # Cell

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in __call__(self, x, **kwargs)
     71     @property
     72     def name(self): return getattr(self, '_name', _get_name(self))
---> 73     def __call__(self, x, **kwargs): return self._call('encodes', x, **kwargs)
     74     def decode  (self, x, **kwargs): return self._call('decodes', x, **kwargs)
     75     def __repr__(self): return f'{self.name}:\nencodes: {self.encodes}decodes: {self.decodes}'

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in _call(self, fn, x, split_idx, **kwargs)
     81     def _call(self, fn, x, split_idx=None, **kwargs):
     82         if split_idx!=self.split_idx and self.split_idx is not None: return x
---> 83         return self._do_call(getattr(self, fn), x, **kwargs)
     85     def _do_call(self, f, x, **kwargs):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in _do_call(self, f, x, **kwargs)
     88             ret = f.returns(x) if hasattr(f,'returns') else None
     89             return retain_type(f(x, **kwargs), x, ret)
---> 90         res = tuple(self._do_call(f, x_, **kwargs) for x_ in x)
     91         return retain_type(res, x)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in <genexpr>(.0)
     89             return retain_type(f(x, **kwargs), x, ret)
---> 90         res = tuple(self._do_call(f, x_, **kwargs) for x_ in x)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\transform.py in _do_call(self, f, x, **kwargs)
     87             if f is None: return x
---> 89             return retain_type(f(x, **kwargs), x, ret)
     90         res = tuple(self._do_call(f, x_, **kwargs) for x_ in x)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastcore\dispatch.py in __call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
    116         elif self.inst is not None: f = MethodType(f, self.inst)
    117         elif self.owner is not None: f = MethodType(f, self.owner)
--> 118         return f(*args, **kwargs)
    120     def __get__(self, inst, owner):

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\vision\augment.py in encodes(self, x)
    399     def encodes(self, x:TensorImage): return self._encode(x, self.mode)
    400     def encodes(self, x:TensorMask):  return self._encode(x, self.mode_mask)
--> 401     def encodes(self, x:(TensorPoint, TensorBBox)): return self._encode(x, self.mode, reverse=True)
    403 # Cell

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\vision\augment.py in _encode(self, x, mode, reverse)
    395     def _encode(self, x, mode, reverse=False):
    396         coord_func = None if len(self.coord_fs)==0 or self.split_idx else partial(compose_tfms, tfms=self.coord_fs, reverse=reverse)
--> 397         return x.affine_coord(self.mat, coord_func, sz=self.size, mode=mode, pad_mode=self.pad_mode, align_corners=self.align_corners)
    399     def encodes(self, x:TensorImage): return self._encode(x, self.mode)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\vision\augment.py in affine_coord(x, mat, coord_tfm, sz, mode, pad_mode, align_corners)
    347     if sz is None: sz = getattr(x, "img_size", None)
    348     bs,n = x.shape[:2]
--> 349     pnts = stack([x[...,:2], stack([x[...,0],x[...,3]],dim=2),
    350                   stack([x[...,2],x[...,1]],dim=2), x[...,2:]], dim=2)
    351     pnts = TensorPoint(pnts.view(bs, 4*n, 2), img_size=sz).affine_coord(mat, coord_tfm, sz, mode, pad_mode)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\fastai\torch_core.py in __torch_function__(self, func, types, args, kwargs)
    338         convert=False
    339         if _torch_handled(args, self._opt, func): convert,types = type(self),(torch.Tensor,)
--> 340         res = super().__torch_function__(func, types, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
    341         if convert: res = convert(res)
    342         if isinstance(res, TensorBase): res.set_meta(self, as_copy=True)

~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\torch\_tensor.py in __torch_function__(cls, func, types, args, kwargs)
   1141         with _C.DisableTorchFunction():
-> 1142             ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
   1143             if func in get_default_nowrap_functions():
   1144                 return ret

IndexError: Dimension out of range (expected to be in range of [-2, 1], but got 2)

I just had a thought that reshaping the BBox in the item transform which happens before the batch transforms may break some of the aug_transforms if you are using any of the ones that modify the shape of the images at all like warping, rotation, etc. You may want to keep the 2x4 BBox shape as it was originally in custom_bb_pad and instead modify the shape in the batch transform as your last transform after Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats). You should be able to view the batch by calling one_batch. I think this may fix the show_batch as well, but if not I believe you should be able to manually decode the results of one_batch to make sure it’s working properly.

class BBoxReshape(DisplayedTransform):
    "Normalize/denorm batch of `TensorImage`"
    parameters,order = L(),100
    def __init__(self): 
        noop

def setups(self, dl:DataLoader):
        noop

def encodes(self, x:TensorBBox): return torch.reshape(x,(x.shape[0],8))
    def decodes(self, x:TensorBBox): return torch.reshape(x,(x.shape[0],2,4))
1 Like

The doubt I have is how do I use the class BboxReshape.
On the DataBlock object I have the following transformations:

How do I create an instance of BboxReshape to add it on batch_tfms?

Did you try?

batch_tfms= [*aug_transforms(do_flip=False, size=(120,160)), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats), BBoxReshape()]
or
batch_tfms= [*aug_transforms(do_flip=False, size=(120,160)), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats), BBoxReshape]

I don’t think it should matter in this case if you do the instantiation in the list or not because there is nothing being done in the init or setup methods.

When I asked you I hadn’t tried yet and after you replied to me, I changed the batch_tfms I had on the DataBlock object for the following:
batch_tfms= [*aug_transforms(do_flip=False, size=(120,160)), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats), BBoxReshape]. I didn’t get any error.

I inform you I managed to solve the error of show_batch function. As I told you I changed the batch_tfms function and also I changed the custom_bb_pad function I had created. Next, I post the current state of the custom_bb_pad function:

def custom_bb_pad(samples, pad_idx=0):
    "Function that collect `samples` of bboxes and adds padding with `pad_idx`."
    #samples = [(s[0], *clip_remove_empty(*s[1:])) for s in samples] # s[0] is a tuple of TensorImage & TensorBbox, TensorBbox size is (2,4)
    max_len = max([len(s[1]) for s in samples]) # equals to 4 (number of bbox coordinates)
    def _f(img,bbox):
        bbox = torch.cat([bbox,bbox.new_zeros(max_len-bbox.shape[0], 4)])        
        return img,bbox
    return [_f(*s) for s in samples]

Due to the fact that you told me to keep the bbox shape at 2x4 on the bb_pad_function I added the line “bbox = torch.cat([bbox,bbox.new_zeros(max_len-bbox.shape[0], 4)])” of the original function (bb_pad function) that I had removed.

Now I can run the notebook with no errors until the line “learn.export(‘trained_roi_detetor_resnet_export.pkl’)” where I get the error: “PicklingError: Can’t pickle <function at 0x0000020C8F432708>: attribute lookup on main failed”.
I’ve made research about this error and from what I’ve understood it’s produced because the learn.export function isn’t compatible with the use of lambda functions in the code.

I tried the solution proposed by user asoellinger on the topic:
Learn.export() failing "PicklingError: Can't pickle <function <lambda> at 0x7f60e83e6bf8>: attribute lookup <lambda> on __main__ failed" - #3 by andandandand.
I installed “dill” package, added the line “import dill” and converted the export function to: learn.export(‘trained_roi_detetor_resnet_export.pkl’, pickle_protocol=dill).
I got an error saying “TypeError: an integer is required (got type module)”.

As this solution didn’t worked for me, I tried to find an alternative to the use of lambda. The line that is causing the error of the export function is “get_y=[lambda o: get_bboxes(o.name)]” from the DataBlock object.
So, I changed “get_y=[lambda o: get_bboxes(o.name)]” to “get_y=[get_bboxes(o.name) for o in get_image_files]” but I got an error saying “TypeError: ‘function’ object is not iterable”.

I don’t know how to solve the error associated to the learn.export() function.

Plus, I want to ask you if it’s normal that the status bar of the epochs completed shown as output to the learn.lr_find doesn’t reach the 100% when the execution of the lr_find function ends.
It happens only on the second time I use learn.lr_find, it’s after calling learn.unfreeze(). The first time I use learn.lr_find() it’s after calling learn.freeze(-1) and in this time the output at the end of lr_find execution doesn’t show any status bar.
The following image I post shows the issue of the status bar I mentioned before:

But I’ve to say that in both learn.lr_find() calls the tables shown as output to fit_one_cycle are full. On the first part that is after freezing the model, when I call fit_one_cycle(n_epochs=100) the table has 100 entries and on the second part that is after unfreezing the model I call fit_one_cycle(n_epochs=200) and the output’s table has 200 entries. I say this because I thought that on the second part if the status bar of the epochs completed didn’t reached the 100% maybe the output’s table of fit_one_cycle wouldn’t be full, but it’s not the case.

I hope you know how I can solve the error of learn.export() function and I hope you can also help me understand if it’s a problem that the status bar of the epochs completed doesn’t reach the 100% or if it’s normal.

Thank you so much for all your help. I’m glad that at least today the error of the show_batch function got fixed, although as you can notice I’m dealing with a lot of errors due to the fact that I’m adapting the notebook of my professors that was done to create just one 1 bbox for each image whereas for my project I need to create 2 bboxes for each image. Hopefully I can make the whole notebook functional soon.

get_y doesn’t need to be a list of functions anymore because you only have 1 dependent varible, the bounding boxes. You no longer have the classes for the bounding boxes. You can just modify your get_bboxes code so the parameter of your function pulls the name property from the pathlib object which is what is being passed

def get_bboxes(f):
  f = f.name
get_y=get_bboxes,
1 Like

Hopefully my last answer gets you past your learn.export error. If all you’re doing is experimentation, you can just use the learn.save and learn.load functions Learner, Metrics, and Basic Callbacks | fastai . Those functions save and load the model weights so you can refer to them later. learn.export is more for packaging up your model for inference in a more production like setting as is not needed if all you’re doing is experimenting and want to save your model weights for later. You can still run inference from a saved model (from learn.save), it’s just slightly slower to get up and running and takes more resources than the learn.export function, but that’s only important if you’re setting your model up to run inference and conserving resources and startup time is important.

This is normal. The LR finder is essentially trying a series of learning rates to try and give you a good starting point for a learning rate for you to use when training. It does this by trying a new (ever incresing) learning rate per batch and recording the loss. At some point when the learning rate is too high, the loss will explode and when the lr finder detects that the loss is exploding it stops because it knows the learning rate is too high so there is no point in continuing to try even higher learning rates.

1 Like

No problem! Good luck on your project. Hopefully you’re getting close to getting everything working.

It’s helpful to others when you find a post or reply helpful to click on the heart icon at the bottom of the post. This lets others know that the post or reply was helpful to you and therefor may be helpful to them.

I applied your proposed code and now that error of learn.export() has been solved.

1 Like