Mojo and Modular

New language (and more) from Chris Lattner and team.

• Write everything in one language: Mojo combines the parts of Python that researchers love with the systems programming features that require the use of C, C++ and CUDA. Mojo is built on top of next-generation compiler technologies that unlock significant performance gains when you add types to your programs, enables you to define zero-cost abstractions, benefit from Rust-like memory safety, and that powers unique autotuning and compile-time metaprogramming capabilities.
19 Likes

Modular/Mojo Product Launch 2023 Keynote

Jeremyā€™s Mojo Demo

2 Likes

Also on Youtube:

10 Likes

Jeremyā€™s blog post. This is a good read. fast.ai - Mojo may be the biggest programming language advance in decades

Something Iā€™ve sent a few people to who inevitably ask ā€˜why do we need another language etcā€™

4 Likes

Cool. Would/will be fun to start testing out and learning it.

1 Like

I signed up and got access to the preview, pretty fun to be able to read and run the docs as a notebook!

List is here: Modular: Get started today

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just learned about this great idea. I mean, it was so sad that S4TF didnā€™t work out. I really liked using a performant, type-safe language like Swift for ML/AI development. But it seems like now there is a second chance! I wonder if we see fastai as one of the first big projects ported to mojo :slight_smile:

Reading the docs, I like how nicely it exposes ā€œlow-levelā€ concepts like copying/cloning semantics, borrow checker (!) and other MLIR features. Big news, indeed.

2 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out how Mojo will change things for practitioners, which is why Iā€™m trying to follow Jeremyā€™s approach in part 2, but, with Mojo in this nbdev documentation website:
slomojo/

At the moment I canā€™t really say that I know what Iā€™m doing :joy: but I hope to put it on mojodojo.dev at some point.

4 Likes

Chris was at TWIML AI Podcast talking about Mojo:

3 Likes

As well, a nice resource about Mojo that evolves almost on a daily basis is : https://mojodojo.dev/

2 Likes

Mojo :fire: available for local download.

1 Like

Nice! And itā€™s also available for Mac as of today.

But the burning question everyoneā€™s surely wonderingā€¦

How do i write a fire emoji on mac?

1 Like

:fire: I figured it out!

(ctrl cmd space pulls up an emoji menu)

Hope they implement python class support soon.

I also wonder whether the future of the fastai course will be in Mojo. Wouldnā€™t that be cool? And if so maybe that would mean support for fastai on macs further down the line.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™ve been wanting to learn Mojo and finally have some time. I looked at their website and saw their max-engine, which seems to have the most important features for AI, isnā€™t free to commercial use.

Iā€™m wondering, what does the AI community think about Mojo these days? Is it still considered a good choice for AI development?

What Does Everyone Think of Mojo Now?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!