Meet Neutron: Yet Another 2080Ti based build

Hi everyone,

Link to the detailed writeup

Quick Note of thanks to @balnazzar @lesscomfortable @howkhang @radek for their suggestions with the part selection.

I have created a separate thread to not just show off my build, but because I’m pretty sure that I won’t be using this to its full extent during the initial few weeks, I want to offer compute help to anyone in the community who would like to explore more open source ideas out of fast.ai or PyTorch but is restricted by the cloud pricing. Hopefully @jeremy will let me get away with the few RGB photos of spam that will follow in this thread.

Please feel free to DM me or comment in this thread if you need some CUDA Power, I’ll be most happy to help. :slight_smile:

Meet Neutron: A build to prep for Part-2 (and more Kaggling)

I’ve finally decided to put my “Skin in the game”.
Please meet Neutron, an investment for DL by @rishi_mrb and me.

PS: I have a fastai glowing LED that I have ordered, should look pretty cool once I add it.

Build details:

• CPU: i7-8700K
  • CPU cooler (Thanks to @lesscomfortable I saved money by not installing a liquid cooler-turns out the case is doing okay without it) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo
  • GPU: MSI Gaming Trio X 2080Ti
  • Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro
  • Case: Coolermaster H500 (grey)
  • RAM: 4*16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200MHz
  • Storage: 512GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD, 2 TB HDD

Complete Parts List

Please feel free to ask if my selection look dumb or if you have any suggestions. I have tried to explain my choices in the little writeup as well.

Best,
Sanyam

7 Likes

Wow, what a beast :slight_smile:

1 Like

How are the temps on your 2080Ti? It looks like the 3-fan axial cooler doesn’t have much room to breathe above that second card. If you have high temps on the upper gpu, you could move the second card to the lowest position.

@redturtle It’s just 1 GPU plugged into the motherboard!
The MSI Gaming X Trio is just too thick, what I think you’re referring to as the first card is the support bar-the GPU is 3KG in weight so it needs a support bar.

The temperatures are looking okay-I haven’t had any 12 hour training loops so far but for the short stress tests, it went upto 60deg celsius at max.

Thanks for the suggestion though :slight_smile:

Ah ok my mistake. Your temps sound fine.

1 Like