Meet & Greet Thread: Introduce yourself

Hi All,
I started my journey in Datascience 3+ years back, but started DeepLearning last year through Fast.ai MOOC(V1 and V2), I am really excited to be a part of international fellowship program, Big thanks to Jermy and Rachel for considering my profile.
Plan to learn and apply these techniques at work, Kaggle and some public datasets.
I am currently based out of Bangalore, India.My Linkedin

Hi there,

I’m an actuary/financial engineer based in New York. Very grateful to have a chance to learn with this group of talented people. I plan to drop USF a visit soon so looking forward to getting to know some of you in person.

My linkedin

Cheers,
Keane

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Blake. I’m a former musician, though I’ve been doing software engineering at a health care startup in downtown SF for the past 4 years. I’ve been learning about ML for about a year, and got into DL through the fast ai part 1, as well as reading books. With as much progress as computer vision has made over the last 5 years, I’d love to contribute to the machine hearing field, and am hoping to apply the part 2 skills to various audio problems.

I’m down to study with others if you’re in SF. Feel free to ping me at blake.h.l.west@gmail.com

1 Like

Hello! I’m a software engineer working at a robotics startup in San Francisco. I’ve worked in robotics and computer vision for a while, and wanted to gain some experience in larger architectures. Enjoyed Part 1 and looking forward to Part 2. I’m really interested in real-time computer vision and perception for various applications. Hope to work with you all!

Mohammad Saad
LinkedIn / Twitter / Website

Hello! My name is Brett Koonce and I am at the in-person class in SF. I work a lot with mobile apps and have been exploring running various neural networks (or more broadly machine learning + computer vision algorithms) on both iOS and Android devices (as well as some other embedded platforms). I’ve mostly done Tensorflow/Keras to date, but am slowly getting better at PyTorch. If anybody would like help with git, dealing with unix/cloud issues, and/or contributing to open source projects, I’d love to help. If you can help me with whatever issue I’m currently battling that would be awesome as well! :wink:

I have a bio over here: http://brettkoonce.com

1 Like

I am a Geophysicist (with a background in software development as well) working in the resources industry in Perth, Australia.

Started my ML journey at a hackathon in 2016. Since then in my spare time I’ve built several web-apps utilizing shallow ML (none of which I was successful in marketing/distributing :frowning: ).

For the duration of Part 2 my focus now is working through the material until I can apply my knowledge to kaggle comps and problems outside of the course with confidence, until then I’ve put all other projects on hold.

Areas I am dabbling in are DL applied to: Earth sciences; NLP; time series forecasting; analysing structured and semi-structured data; Infosec.

Long term plan is to work on interesting DL projects full time.

2 Likes

What sort of projects in Earth Science are you using ML for?

Hello everyone,
my name is Lucia, I have a background in math, but I’m fairly new to ML and DL.
My past experience is Geometry - 3D CAD/Solid Modeling, have been working in C++, some Javascript and AWS.
I started to learn ML/DL on my own through the various MOOC (Andrew NG and DeepLearning.ai), need to seriously get into Python now.
I’m interested in applications related to environment, urban mobility, robotics and NLP.

Linkedin

Hi there,
My name is Irhum, just an AI enthusiast from Rajuk College, in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Currently just a student, tinkering around building deep learning models, simply because I see so much potential in them, and also on a (very) early stage project implementing AI for Agriculture. I indeed feel quite fortunate to be part of such a great community, and for this opportunity.

I blog on Medium (https://medium.com/@irhumshafkat), where I try to distill down things that I learnt about, eg. variational autoencoders (https://towardsdatascience.com/intuitively-understanding-variational-autoencoders-1bfe67eb5daf) as well as explaining (and modifying) ideas from research papers as well, (eg. https://towardsdatascience.com/music-by-means-of-natural-selection-11934d7e89a3). Looking forward to learning with you all!

6 Likes

Seismic data, I see you are working in the above ground realm

Hey @vikasbahirwani,
I would be more than happy to discuss / chat / talk about the things I learned from Kaggle.
I uploaded a presentation I gave to our meetup group almost a year ago, despite being a bit out of date I think most of the stuff there still holds relevant. you can find it here

We also have the honor to host Anthony Goldbloom Kaggle’s CEO on Apr. 9th on our Deep Learning Boot Camp meetup group - which is a great privilege for me personally.

I sent you contact info so we can either chat or have a call to discuss further

Nati

@Nathaniels Thank you for the response.

I will review your presentations and can come up with specific questions from that. I will be happy to talk (always a pleasure to learn from others in the domain :slight_smile: )

Where did you send me your contact info again? (Feel free to send it to my email vikasbahirwani@gmail.com)

Thanks
Vikas

Hi Everyone, I’m Mariam Garba. I’m an AI Enthusiast and i’ll be enrolled in Sapienza University Of Rome for Msc. Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in September. It’s nice to connect with you all.

4 Likes

Hi all! My name is William, and I’m based in NYC (and have enjoyed meeting some of the other NY international fellows in person already). By day I’m a software engineer at Blink Health, working on getting people lower prices for prescription drugs, which sadly is a major problem we still face here in the US. I got hooked on machine learning after watching the version 1 videos last summer, so I’m excited to get to be a part of this course!

Here’s my LinkedIn and Twitter if you want to connect!

3 Likes

Replying to my intro with an update.

As I mentioned in my intro, as of the start of this course I was looking for opportunities to start working in deep learning research.

Today this goal has been reached as I accepted an offer to join the Uber AI Residency.

I was (and to a lesser extent still am) a bit worried about Uber’s reputation in terms of culture, but I really enjoyed talking to the researchers there and I feel very aligned with their research ideas and so I am super excited to start in a couple months.

The fastai courses played a big part in big part in me getting this opportunity to break into AI research, not just because of the deep learning material (though that obviously did help), but mostly thanks Jeremy’s advice and insights such as the importance of writing blog posts (I think my blog post reproducing one of Uber’s paper played a big part in me getting hired).

So thanks a lot to Jeremy and everyone involved in making these courses possible!

18 Likes

Awesome outcome @AdrienLE! I think (and hope) the culture there is improving…

2 Likes

A little story about an Undergrad International fellow that went from being an undergrad noob to an okay-ish ML Practitioner thanks to the Amazing Community and the Two Strong Pillars behind it (Jeremy, Rachel) and everyone that answered all of my questions so kindly.

Last September I joined the course that changed my life.
I had taken many MOOCs throughout my school life (I’m a learner, I enjoy that).

What changed, is that since Fast.ai Fellowship- I started “doing” over Learning.

Once, I wasn’t sure about what I’ll do with the knowledge without a GPU or without having many opportunities in India. I did also try the Flying Car Nanodegree and Self Driving Car Nanodegree out of passion, Finally coming back to DL and ML.

Today, I have been invited by Inc42 and Paypal to talk about my Freelance experience in DL and CV. If you’re interested, I invite you to sign up for the live webinar here: https://videos.inc42.com/webinar/freelancing-for-students-101-upskill-for-brighter-career-prospects/
It’ll be about a student that has been built up by this community and now is a Part Time Practitioner and Full Time College Student (Student at Day, Practitioner at Night)

Also, @rishi_mrb and I have co-founded a company (paperwork under progress) for our DL efforts: http://neuroascent.ml

I promise you, This is how fast fast.ai can change your life.

Best Regards,
Sanyam Bhutani.

1 Like

My name is Ariana Grande. I am currently working for an Artificial Intelligence Development Company