Maintaining and updating the Fast AI Wiki

This topic is strictly about maintaining and updating the Fast AI Wiki, linked here: http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/Main_Page

1 Like

Just made the “Linear Algebra for Deep Learning” and “Calculus for Deep Learning” pages, with their respective sub pages being inspired by the “Familiarity with” topics on the USF Deep Learning part 1 webpage: http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/Main_Page

Hi!

Sorry, I changed Wiki password and forgot. I tried to reset it, but I do not think I received an E-mail. I looked at Spam folder, but I found nothing. Should I wait more?

D’oh. Can you send me a slack direct message?

I wanted to suggest some really useful materials for one of the wiki pages but then I found out that I can’t use my fast.ai credentials to log in to Wiki and I also could not find how to register to be a contributor. Is it possible for people who are taking this MOOC to contribute to the Wiki or is it limited only to the students who attended the original course at USF?

I believe I found an error in the wiki on Directional Derivatives

:
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{df}{dx} \
\frac{df}{dx} \
\frac{df}{dx} \
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \
3 \
-1 \
\end{bmatrix}

I believe you want to draw the partial derivatives in all three directions of space, hence:

:
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{df}{dx} \
\frac{df}{dy} \
\frac{df}{dz} \
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \
3 \
-1 \
\end{bmatrix}

I want to edit/add to the wiki, how can I get access?

At the moment only people that have attended an in-person class have access. I’m not sure the best way to provide wider access whilst avoiding spammers/trolls/etc. Any suggestions most welcome! We’re using mediawiki, BTW.

1 Like

A few options spring to mind, but none are straight forward and would require time to implement:

1. Link the wiki account authorization to forum accounts, but only allow access to forum accounts with X posts. The forum already provides trust levels to measure contributions and activity, so active forums accounts should be a reasonable proxy against spammers. Problem is linking the two disparate account systems together.

2. Migrate the wiki onto a github/gitlab repository to allow potential changes to be submitted via push requests. Although the barrier is higher, it’s better than not allowing any access whatsoever to those that wish to contribute.

3. Allow people to post wiki pages here in the forums (perhaps have a “wiki edits” section) and then manually integrate proposed changes into the wiki as time permits.

I’m writing up my experiences using Paperspace for the course as I go along, and without wiki access feel the best way to make the information available to a wider audience is to post to the forum (option #3 above).

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks @slowtalk these are all good ideas. If you or anyone else wants to build (1) then I’d definitely use it! And I like your idea of a wiki section on the forum - it’s similar to what we’ve been doing for part 2 of the course.

In the meantime, anyone is welcome to ask me for a wiki login. :slight_smile:

According to a discourse founder, it is possible (though non-trivial) to unify mediawiki and discourse accounts.

Perhaps an easier solution would be to use one of mediawiki’s spam management extensions.

Hello, I am working through lesson 1 and initially couldn’t locate dogscats dataset in the wiki. I found the link in the forum to be http://files.fast.ai/data/. It would be great if this link is also listed in the course wiki under the section of course materials.

Thanks
Shankar

Is the wiki wrt v1 of the course?

Is there a plan to make an updated wiki?