Lesson 9 Discussion & Wiki (2019)

At around 58m in last nights video Jeremy goes though this in the 03_minibatch notebook. Might be earlier in the edited video when that appears.

So basically .backward() calculates the gradients, saves the values (or adds them to previously saved values) and gets rid of the chain of operations so the next operation chain starts clean, and .zero_grad() only manipulates those saved values. Makes sense.
Thank you Jeremy :smile:

1 Like

It would be good to have a separate topic for it. I have no background in callbacks and would be great to see other peopleā€™s insights in a thread.

Please do feel free to create a topic about callbacks, or anything else youā€™re interested in!

Would it be a correct statement about initialization weights? We get faster covergans and better prediction with better initialization weights.

I was looking through the sqrt 5 notebook yesterday and I am wondering if this is something that should be refactored:

c = y_train.max()+1

to

c = torch.tensor(y_train.unique().numel())

This gives the same result although it takes a bit longer to run. The reason I think it would be better is that it could be transferred to different datasets or if not all of mnist is loaded and not all 10 numbers are represented, this could be off.

I submitted a pull request to change it, but just curious if anybody agrees or disagrees with it as a change.

And maybe since this is just an exploratory notebook, and you know you want c to be equal to 10, this isnā€™t even something to consider, but it just caught my attention when I was dissecting the magic.

EDIT: Jeremy responded to the pull request:

2 Likes

Really cool lecture jeremy - thx

Thanks for replying. Itā€™s not the logsumexp trick, but the softmax thatā€™s problematic to my intuition. For example, for image segmentation with three classes, one pixel has activations -1,-2,-3. The pixel next door has activations -5,-6,-7. After exponentiating and scaling to add up to 1, the two pixels generate identical class probabilities. Therefore the same log probabilities and the same cross entropy loss.

What Iā€™d like to understand intuitively is 1) what is the difference between these two pixels, and 2) how does it make sense that they contribute identically to the loss?

Also, as Iā€™m writing this, wondering whether they contribute identically to the gradient as well.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

I created a separate topic for callbacks:

Itā€™s worth noting that mathematically, the two scenarios are the same ā€“ as far as the model is concerned ā€“ not only are the losses the same, the gradients are also the same (if Iā€™ve done my math correctly):

\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{e^x}{e^x + e^y}\right) = \frac{e^xe^y}{(e^x+e^y)^2},

which is also invariant under translation by a constant. So thereā€™s no difference to the model whether you have (x, y, z) or (x, y, z) + k.

But it sounds like youā€™re wondering whether (-5, -6) means that we donā€™t think itā€™s a cat or a dog, but that weā€™re slightly more confident that itā€™s a cat, and (-1, -2) means that we think that itā€™s a cat and we also think that itā€™s a dog, but weā€™re equally confident that itā€™s a cat. I donā€™t think thatā€™s an unreasonable interpretation ā€“ could you come up with a test for that somehow?

If I had to pick, I would be inclined to not believe that interpretation, because the model only knows about cattiness in relation to dogginess, not cattiness in a vacuum.

3 Likes

I think the YouTube title for this video may be incorrect. It says Lesson 8 when this is Lesson 9.

1 Like

But it sounds like youā€™re wondering whether (-5, -6) means that we donā€™t think itā€™s a cat or a dog, but that weā€™re slightly more confident that itā€™s a cat, and (-1, -2) means that we think that itā€™s a cat and we also think that itā€™s a dog, but weā€™re equally confident that itā€™s a cat. I donā€™t think thatā€™s an unreasonable interpretation ā€“ could you come up with a test for that somehow?

Thatā€™s an interpretation I had not thought of, but it could be reasonable. Actually I have no problem with a difference of 1 anywhere on a log scale meaning the same ratio of probabilities.

What I wonder is whether (-1,-2) means thereā€™s definitely something cat or dog like here, cat more likely than dog by a factor of e. While (-5,-6) means thereā€™s nothing very cat or dog like here (itā€™s a spoon!) but the spoon looks more like a cat by the same ratio, according to the features the model has learned.

If thatā€™s a correct interpretation, maybe in evaluation we should return ā€œunknownā€ when the underlying activations are small. Maybe this softmaxing of small activations underlies some of the adversarial example problems.

1 Like

:+1: Thanks @PierreO - makes sense!

Thanks fixed.

Yes itā€™s a major problem with softmax. Itā€™s overused as an activation function. Itā€™s only suitable when you have exactly one object of your labeled classes present. Weā€™ll talk about this next week.

1 Like

I have a quick question about the ā€œ02a_why_sqrt5ā€ notebook.

In this notebook, we create a model with four Conv2d layers, using the default initialization method:

Then we re-initialize the weights in each layer with init.kaiming_uniform_:

When you use init.kaiming_uniform_, it looks like it assumes a=0 by default. But shouldnā€™t we be setting a=1 for the final Conv2d layer, since there is no ReLU following it?

2 Likes

In the 02b_initializing notebook, the provided formula for standard deviation:

\sigma = \sqrt{(x_{0}-m)^{2} + (x_{1}-m)^{2} + \cdots + (x_{n-1}-m)^{2}}

is missing the mean of the squares. Should be:

\sigma = \sqrt{\frac{1}{n}\left[(x_{0}-m)^{2} + (x_{1}-m)^{2} + \cdots + (x_{n-1}-m)^{2}\right]}

Appreciate the intuition behind the ā€œmagic number for scalingā€ in Xavier and Kaiming init!

Oh yes, I forgot the 1/n. If you want to make a PR to add it, that would be much appreciated!

Yeah, was about to say the same thing. The loss doesnā€™t care if you add a constant to all of the activations that get fed into the softmax, so I donā€™t think thereā€™s any way for the model to learn what should be considered ā€œlargeā€ or ā€œsmallā€. E.g. I want to say that two different initializations of the network could wind up working just as well, but one spits out activations like (-5, -6) while the other does (-1, -2).

If you want the model to be able to say that itā€™s not sure, you need to explicitly allow it to by including an extra category.

Happy to!