Lesson 8 (2019) discussion & wiki

Hi, better look at A Gentle Introduction to Mini-Batch Gradient Descent so to have a clearer picture.

1 Like

This is a hard concept to really ā€œget itā€. I think this is whatā€™s explained in 4.4 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.01528.pdf and after reviewing partial derivative and reading that section many times, it still doesnā€™t sink in fully.

1 Like

Not a mathy person to begin with,I read it many times too - bitter but nourishing

Sorry, Iā€™d like to help you but Iā€™m a bit confused. Which concept is supposed to be hard to get ?

That lines up with what weā€™re seeing. :slight_smile: So how would we adjust the init to account for this?

Im confused about the forward_backward section of lesson 8.

So on the backward pass we run mse_grad() then lin_grad()

Inside lin_grad where does out.g come from? We define out in a number of sections, but what is out.g, where do we get this from?

I can take derivative of:

\frac{(x-t)^2}{n}

But for something like:

\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}(x_{i}-t_{i})^{2}}{n}

The sum disappearing part is not very intuitive to me even though I kind of understand:

I think it all goes back to this:
11%20AM

A little bit of a hump because Iā€™ve only studied calculus and not matrix calculus.

4 Likes

The mse_grad function looks like this:

def mse_grad(inp, targ): 
    inp.g = 2. * (inp.squeeze() - targ).unsqueeze(-1) / inp.shape[0]

And you notice that itā€™s setting inp.g.

In these lines of code, we sent a variable out to mse_grad (which gets assigned to inp inside of the function).

# backward pass: 
    mse_grad(out, targ)
    lin_grad(l2, out, w2, b2)

So out.g gets initialized inside of mse_grad.

4 Likes

Oh I see ā€“ I looked at that for a long time and didnā€™t see that.

Thanks for your help :smile:

1 Like

Actually, matrix calculus sounds weird too. It is proper called it multivariable calculus. About your doubt is about algebraic manipulation and some derivative rule application. Everything starts with

f(x)=\frac{1}{n}\Sigma_{i=1}^n(x_i-t_i)^2

\frac{\delta}{\delta x}f(x)=\frac{1}{n}\Sigma_{i=1}^n \frac{\delta}{\delta x}(x_i-t_i)^2

applying power and chain rule

\frac{\delta}{\delta x}f(x)=\frac{1}{n}\Sigma_{i=1}^n 2\cdot (x_i-t_i)\frac{\delta}{\delta x_j}(x_i-t_i)

the last term on the right goes to 1 when i=j and 0 everywhere else. So we got

\frac{2}{n}\Sigma_{i=1}^n (x_i-t_i)

hope it helps.

5 Likes

Correct. Because literally what happens with the sumā€™s partial derivatives is (disregarding the details of the real function):

y      = w0*x0 + w1*x1 + w2*x2 + ...
dy/dx0 = w0    +  0    +  0    + ...
dy/dx1 =  0    + w1    +  0    + ...
dy/dx2 =  0    +  0    + w2    + ...

where wi is just some coefficient (not a weight that we normally are talking about), that is specific to the formula.

And 0ā€™s come because when i!=j those entries are but constants, whose derivative is 0. They are constants because when we take a derivative of y wrt x[i], we ā€œfreezeā€ the rest of variables, inserting constants where all the x[j] (j!=i) variables are, ending up with just y = wi*xi + c. And itā€™s easy to take that derivative: dy/dxi = wi. Thatā€™s how the rows above were built.

So the sum is still there but now itā€™s summing up all 0ā€™s and one non-0 entry, and thatā€™s why it disappears.

So dy/dx = [w0, w1, w2, ...]

and in the case of mse_grad (x = inp, wi = w[i]):

w[i] = 2. * (x[i] - targ) / batch_size

so once we switch to the vector of derivatives grad we get:

grad = 2./bs * (inp-targ)

Notes:

• this wasnā€™t an exact math, but was a sort of simplified visual to help understand why the sum disappears, to which I sort of bolted the mse_grad function and it sort of works because mse happens to be a simple sum(c*x^2) function, but in practice you donā€™t want sort of, therefore once you grok the simplified version, please see @fabrisā€™s answer above for the full rigorous math.

• this demonstration is only true in this particular case where the inputs donā€™t interact, because if you were to have a different function of a form say y = w1*x1*x2 + w2*x2*x3 then it wonā€™t be all but one non-0 value upon a derivative wrt one input.

• since mse is the first function in the backprop chain it doesnā€™t multiply its calculated gradient by an upstream gradient. Or you can think of the upstream gradient as 1. These notes can be quite helpful: http://cs231n.github.io/optimization-2/

2 Likes

That lines up with what weā€™re seeing. :slight_smile: So how would we adjust the init to account for this?

Iā€™m note sure thereā€™s an any simple fix here, if \mathbb{E}[x_l^2] is more complicated as described above thereā€™s no longer Var[y_L] = \text{ a nice product}. Or at least I canā€™t work out one. In this absence of nice math answers (again, maybe itā€™s just my limitations) maybe the best is to algorithmically search for the best shifted ReLU? Iā€™ll try it if I have time today :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s probably best - you can use optim.lbfgs or similar. Or replicate the 90+ pages of math derivation in the SeLU paperā€¦ :open_mouth:

1 Like

Except, there should be no Sigma in the last step :slight_smile: the 0ā€™s ate it

\frac{2}{n} (x_i-t_i)

1 Like

Thank you @fabris and @stas! I feel like the fog in my brain is starting to lift with the visual of a matrix where everything else but the diagonal elements are zero and i=j :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!!

I think I got PReLU activation from Kaiming He paperā€¦

class PreRelu(Module):
    def __init__(self,a):self.a = a

def forward(self,inp) : 
         return inp.clamp_min(0.) + inp.clamp_max(0.)@self.a

def bwd(self,out,inp) : 
        inp.g = (inp > 0).float()*out.g +  out.g @self.a.t() * (inp<0).float()
        self.a.g = ((inp<=0).float()*inp).t()@out.g

and ā€˜aā€™ needs to be initialized as

a1 = torch.randn(nh,nh)
a1.requires_grad_(False)

I could pass test_near with pytorchā€™s gradient computations.

Can someone review it and confirm if it makes sense?

This may be a dumb question, but why do we calculate the gradients for x_train in 02_fully_connected notebook since the inputs to our model are never updated?

See:

xt2 = x_train.clone().requires_grad_(True)
w12 = w1.clone().requires_grad_(True)
w22 = w2.clone().requires_grad_(True)
b12 = b1.clone().requires_grad_(True)
b22 = b2.clone().requires_grad_(True)

Wouldnā€™t it be more proper, in a real world scenario, to set xt2 as such:

xt2 = x_train.clone().requires_grad_(False)

If, hypothetically, you could pick c = -2E[y_l^+], then (maybe?) things could work out? Does this even make any sense, though? It definitely seems a little strange to have the model depend on the input data, even if only as a shift to each of the different ReLUs. And the y_l also depend on the W_l, so there might be some recursion to work out. Doesnā€™t seem particularly promisingā€¦ at least Iā€™m not sure where I would go next with this.

That was to check all the gradients are correct. Note that we donā€™t update anything in that notebook, so itā€™s just for the purpose of verifying the backward computation were all correct.

2 Likes

The Kaiming analysis, using notation from your blog post, states that if we use Kaiming initialization and a standard ReLU, then \mathbb{E}(y_l)=0 and \mathop{Var}(y_l)=2. For convenience, letā€™s init weights of the first layer with \sqrt{1/m} instread of \sqrt{2/m}, so we get \mathop{Var}(y_l)=1 for all layers. Now, instead of ReLU we use ReLU shifted by c and c is chosen so that x_l is centred around 0. Letā€™s assume that we were able to fix the weights of layers up to l such that \mathop{Var}(y_{l-1})=1 and \mathbb{E}(y_{l-1})=0. Using a @mediocrates formula,

\mathop{Var}(y_l) = n_l\mathop{Var}(W_l)\left(\frac12 \mathop{Var}(y_{l-1}) + 2 c\, \mathbb{E}(y_{l-1}^{+})+c^2\right).

If we assume that y_{l-1} is normal (the most common sin of a statistician? :smile: ), then \mathbb{E}(y_{l-1}^{+})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} and

\mathop{Var}(y_l) = n_l\mathop{Var}(W_l)\left(\frac12\cdot 1 + \frac{2 c}{\sqrt{2\pi}}+c^2\right).

To get \mathop{Var}(y_l) = 1 we need

\mathop{Var}(W_l) = \left(\frac12\cdot 1 + \frac{2 c}{\sqrt{2\pi}}+c^2\right)^{-1}\frac{1}{n_l}.

Again, if we assume that y_l is normal, then we should set c=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} so that \mathbb{E}(\text{shifted-ReLU}(y_l)) = 0. Therefore, we should init W_l (except the first layer) with

\mathop{Var}(W_l) = \left(\frac12 - \frac{2/\sqrt{2\pi}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}+\frac{1}{2\pi}\right)^{-1}\frac{1}{n_l} = \frac{1}{n_l (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2\pi})}.

How incorrect is the normal assumtion?
Iā€™ve tested it with 21 linear layers with shifted-ReLU, with 784 input states and m=50 or m=500 states in the remaining layers. Edit: plots labelled Var actually show std.

With larger values of m the central limit theorem starts to work and the distribution is more normal. For comparison, below is ReLU with Kaiming:

Looks much better, even for m=50.

4 Likes