Lesson 5 - Official Topic

Thank You Rachel for a great and much needed lesson!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Rachel for doing this and sharing the full course for free! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

That’s great!!! Will for sure check out the course when it’s released and I already know our study group will likely take it on, too. I say this because we exchanged 100+ chat messages In Zoom watching the class session tonight- and even more in the study group will be viewing a re-stream on Thursday!

Thank you Rachel and Jeremy for the thoughtful lesson.

Thank you for an insightful perspective on an extremely important issue with huge societal implications. A wonderfully educative session…

Thank you so much Rachel and Jeremy, today was very interesting!

1 Like

Can I share it?

A lot of sites that are fact-checking websites use a combination of manual human fact-checkers along with algorithms like reverse-image search to check if an image is an old image being circulated. One thing that is a good way to tackle misinformation is showing articles related to a topic that covers different perspectives so as to cover a broader view that can educate people more . Most of the time news focus on one topic. So AI can help in this process working alongside human editors and manual fact-checkers.

1 Like

Thank you, Rachel, for leading such an important and in-depth exploration of topics that too often go unmentioned in our circles. It was especially devastating to learn the true magnitude of how pervasive bias and sexism is in AI–our own community!

I thought I noticed a little disparity, so I just went back and counted the number of times that @rachel’s presentation was interrupted by @jeremy (for any reason; including questions, comments, and non-sequiturs). I also rewatched the first three videos to count the number of times that Jeremy was interrupted by Rachel. My rough count is:
Lesson 1 by Jeremy (post-edit): 5 interruptions
Lesson 2 by Jeremy (post-edit): 12 interruptions
Lesson 3 by Jeremy (pre-edit): 11 interruptions
Lesson 4 by Rachel (pre-edit): 42 interruptions

I really appreciate the dynamic of having a presenter and a question-fielder, so I am not trying to denigrate the pedagogy of the format. Just thought I’d mention it, because the discrepancy stood out to me as a student, and may inadvertently have the effect of reducing the confidence with which Rachel’s expert opinion is received by others.

2 Likes

You have to account for the nature of the topic. A topic like Ethics raises lots of questions.
I am sure the effect of Jeremy’s questions didn’t bare on the reception of Rachel’s expert lessons through the live format (so likely wont bare as recorded delivery as well). We all the more believe she is the Ethics expert from whom we can learn so much more. If more interaction, more queries would arise!

3 Likes

Thank you Rachel and Jeremy for a wonderful lecture.

I am sure this lesson raises many thoughts, issues and questions for everyone.

Having seen all the atrocities, wars, dictators, crimes and injustices that have been committed across just about every country, in the past 500 years, at some time in their history e.g. two world wars were possibly over 100 million people died, estimates are 70-85 million deaths for the second world war (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties)

I dread to think what the outcome will be if AI is ever used in anger, on a scale that unintelligent weapons have been used in the past.

If ever there ever was a time for people to show humanity and behave ethically towards each other, now is the time.

Laws can help, but every citizen has a role to play in their daily behavior and living. This forum and the people on are a wonderful example of such behavior.

Theoretically the more ethical we all are in our daily lives the safer we all will be.

Thank you fastai community.

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley: :smiley:

(Great lesson, wow, lots to think about - I can’t watch the livestream because we’re wrangling a toddler at 6:30pm, hence the ‘late’ question).

What is the relationship between ethics and moral psychology? In particular, Jonathan Haidt talks about dimensions of moral psychology being quite different between liberals and conservatives in his book ‘The Righteous Mind’ and how we are somewhat blinded to how people from different mindsets might actually think about right and wrong in fundamentally different ways. According to Haidt, liberals are typically concerned only with harm and fairness, but conservatives are also concerned with authority, loyalty, and sanctity.

It sounded like the main criteria you were invoking for the utilitarian and deontological are mostly based on reducing harm, which is shared by both liberals and conservatives, but (again according to this model), less fundamental to conservatives.

Given that we’re looking for ways to promote ethics, and circumvent bad actors from hijacking other aspects of the conversation (loyalty to one’s country, etc) in order to promote bad behavior, shouldn’t we also be incorporating this underlying model into the formulation and development of these ethical principles?

1 Like

Harvard Business Review

Rachel, you mentioned, that russian trolls are not along in the world. In Russia we have journalist investigations that most faimoust trolls ‘factory’ owner has very tight connection to a lot of Africa’s statуs (and elsewhere in the world). Especially in Central African Republic (business and possible crime) am Mosambic (politics, manipulation voting’s). And they use full specter of information weapon, not only in internet but radio, tv, newspaper etc. So maybe it the same trolls there and another places.

Not an apples-to apples-comparison. As @maya pointed out, ethics raises lots of questions. And interrupting the lesson to ask Rachel a question from the audience enhances rather than diminishes her status as an expert.

You might consider re-doing your study without counting questions from the audience as “interruptions”?

1 Like

there there !

(Thanks for all the work that you do :beers:)

1 Like

Hi @jcatanza, and @maya
Thanks for taking the time to engage!

I don’t mean to say that there was any malicious intent in the interruptions, but given that one of the subjects of Rachel’s presentation last night was sexism in tech, and the fact that women are more often interrupted than men during professional presentations, I thought it was at least important to bring up. Finally, with the acknowledgement that it is our responsibility to reflect on ways our community could be better, I think it is worth our time to talk about the ways in which bias against women might manifest even here.

Jona

5 Likes

I have noticed that in Fastbook Lesson 3 there are many places with missing text and images where the mysterious character “<” appears instead. Is that beihg fixed?

my preference would be to have ALL questions at the end of the lecture … or even better… saved for this forum …