Lesson 4 Tabular dataset with 0% accuracy

Hi, I’m working on the tabular notebook for Lesson 4, using the “A Waiter’s Tips” dataset from Kaggle to predict the tip a waiter will receive based on factors such as the gender of a patron, time of day, day of the week, party size, etc. , and my accuracy rate is exactly 0.

I did have to make my own accuracy function, as the default one threw the following error:

Following the advice on this fast.ai forum thread, I defined a new function accuracy_long as follows (identical to the default, but with .long() appended to the targs assignment:

def accuracy_long(input:Tensor, targs:Tensor)->Rank0Tensor:
    n = targs.shape[0]
    input = input.argmax(dim=-1).view(n,-1)
    targs = targs.view(n,-1).long()
    return (input==targs).float().mean()`

Since the issue is with the accuracy and I had to define my own accuracy function, that seems a likely culprit, but I have no idea how to debug it.

Here’s the notebook, and for further diagnostics, here’s a look at a batch of data:

48%20PM

Result of learn.fit(1, 1e-2):

21%20PM

I tried running learn.lr.find() and plotting:

00%20PM

I would sincerely appreciate any tips!

1 Like

It looks to be regression? Perhaps you want to use RMSE like with Rossmann? (Lesson 6) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I’ve only gotten as far as Lesson 4, so I’ll have to check out Lesson 6. :slight_smile:

I have my own version of the lesson notebook here and the one for the course is here please let me know if you have questions! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks again!

1 Like