Lesson 4 Advanced Discussion ✅

Be careful not to confuse output activation functions with between-layer functions. The thing I drew was for output - where we certainly don’t want N(0,1).

As we discussion, for between-layer activation functions we generally use ReLU. And we let batchnorm handle the distribution for us.

1 Like

Yes, normally I add a little to the max and min for this reason.

5 Likes

Yes, you can add a preprocessor to any ItemList. We’ve only just added this functionality, so if you’re interested in trying it, please open a topic with some details and sample code on #fastai-users and at-mention @sgugger and I.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response @jeremy. However, the talk of “target values” means that they were writing precisely about output activation layers, not between-layer functions.

Let me rephrase my question: Looks like they’re saying to scale the output activation function so it extends beyond the target output values (0 to 1, or 0 to 5). Is that something you recommend as well?

Yes I mentioned that here:

1 Like

Is it possible to learn word or sentence embedding using lamguage model trained on wiki?

i was thinking about language model and how it was able to predict next word.Now idea that struck me was will it be possible to get a score for sentence out of model for use in sentence comparison.

ideally
sentence[w1…wn] ->language model-> wn+1
and
sentence[w1…wn] ->language model-> classifier+sigmoid ->0,1

could it be something like
sentence[w1…wn] ->language model-> +??? -> sentence representation[1212,1521515,0212,451]

I know this is advanced topic and i found discussion going on in advanced forum on same here but just wanted to ask is it worth pursuing?

Is the label_delim parameter in TextDataBunch functional? I get an error trying

data_clas = TextDataBunch.from_df(path, train_df=df_trn, valid_df=df_val, 
                                  vocab=data_lm.vocab, 
                                  text_cols='Narrative', 
                                  label_cols='Contributing Factors / Situations',
                                  label_delim='|',
                                  bs=bs)

Error: iterator should return strings, not float (did you open the file in text mode?)
I also get an error when the delimiter is two character, e.g. '; ’

1 Like

I’m wondering about this myself. I’m setting batch size values as I load my data_lm previously created with default values but the GPU load seems to remain the same no matter what.

1 Like

Yes, normally I add a little to the max and min for this reason.

Do you refer to the + self.min_score after passing the result through a sigmoid or to something else done afterwards ? Also I can understand that adding something helps the problem for values close to 5 (as the sigmoid will likely reduce them) but why is it the case for values close to 0 ? In my understanding, we should subtract something, shouldn’t we ?

Jeremy mentioned there is a Chinese language model, (su, zoo?). Where could I find more information about it?
Many thanks~

Quick question: why using learn.fit() instead of learn.fit_1_cycle() with tabular data? (cf notebook shown by Jeremy during the live)

1 Like

Search Model Zoo

While discussing the use of

learn.predict('I liked this movie because ', 100, temperature=1.1, min_p=0.001)

in lesson3-imdb notebook, @jeremy mentioned that “this is not designed to be a good text generation system. There’s lots of tricks that you can use to generate much higher quality text non of which we’re using here.”

What are them tricks? :wink: Where could I find more information about it?

BTW, I created RNN based Polish poetry generator and utilized Jeremy’s ideas of adding special tokens for uppercase and capitalized words, also adding a token for line break was a good idea :slight_smile: Many thanks, Jeremy!

As Polish language is morphologically rich due to cases, gender forms and great vocabulary I’m working with sub-words units - syllables.

4 Likes

Thanks @fredguth :grinning:

I am also interested how we can implement calculating the feature importance for tabular data in fully connected networks

Main one would be ‘beam search’.

4 Likes

No good reason - it’s just a little toy dataset that I didn’t really experiment with much.

1 Like

This is because the column where you have your labels is interpreted as a mix of numbers and strings by csv_reader I’m guessing. I’ve pushed something in master that should fix this, while waiting for the next release, you should type df[label_cols] = df[label_cols].astype(str) to force the column as a string type.

1 Like

Hello guys, I am trying to do multi-label classification on a small text data, but getting this error. leaner is completing the training of first epoch, but while validating it is throwing the error. Any one help?

torch 1.0.0.dev20181120
fastai 1.0.28

data: dataframe with two columns (one text and other multi-labels)

Learner was able to train and but while validating it is throwing the error

Trying to do Text classification: I am getting this Error:

TypeError: list indices must be integers or slices, not NoneType

dc = TextDataBunch.from_df(path = path, train_df = train_df, valid_df = valid_df,
                           text_cols = ['title'], label_cols = ['labels'], label_delim = '|')
learn.fit_one_cycle(5, slice(0.01))

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
    <ipython-input-37-9c1fbaf9d6de> in <module>()
    ----> 1 learn.fit_one_cycle(5, slice(0.01))

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/train.py in fit_one_cycle(learn, cyc_len, max_lr, moms, div_factor, pct_start, wd, callbacks, **kwargs)
         18     callbacks.append(OneCycleScheduler(learn, max_lr, moms=moms, div_factor=div_factor,
         19                                         pct_start=pct_start, **kwargs))
    ---> 20     learn.fit(cyc_len, max_lr, wd=wd, callbacks=callbacks)
         22 def lr_find(learn:Learner, start_lr:Floats=1e-7, end_lr:Floats=10, num_it:int=100, stop_div:bool=True, **kwargs:Any):

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(self, epochs, lr, wd, callbacks)
        160         callbacks = [cb(self) for cb in self.callback_fns] + listify(callbacks)
        161         fit(epochs, self.model, self.loss_func, opt=self.opt, data=self.data, metrics=self.metrics,
    --> 162             callbacks=self.callbacks+callbacks)
        164     def create_opt(self, lr:Floats, wd:Floats=0.)->None:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
         92     except Exception as e:
         93         exception = e
    ---> 94         raise e
         95     finally: cb_handler.on_train_end(exception)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
         87             if hasattr(data,'valid_dl') and data.valid_dl is not None:
         88                 val_loss = validate(model, data.valid_dl, loss_func=loss_func,
    ---> 89                                        cb_handler=cb_handler, pbar=pbar)
         90             else: val_loss=None
         91             if cb_handler.on_epoch_end(val_loss): break

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in validate(model, dl, loss_func, cb_handler, pbar, average, n_batch)
         47     with torch.no_grad():
         48         val_losses,nums = [],[]
    ---> 49         for xb,yb in progress_bar(dl, parent=pbar, leave=(pbar is not None)):
         50             if cb_handler: xb, yb = cb_handler.on_batch_begin(xb, yb, train=False)
         51             val_losses.append(loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, cb_handler=cb_handler))

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastprogress/fastprogress.py in __iter__(self)
         63         self.update(0)
         64         try:
    ---> 65             for i,o in enumerate(self._gen):
         66                 yield o
         67                 if self.auto_update: self.update(i+1)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_data.py in __iter__(self)
         45     def __iter__(self):
         46         "Process and returns items from `DataLoader`."
    ---> 47         for b in self.dl:
         48             y = b[1][0] if is_listy(b[1]) else b[1]
         49             if not self.skip_size1 or y.size(0) != 1: yield self.proc_batch(b)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in __next__(self)
        612     def __next__(self):
        613         if self.num_workers == 0:  # same-process loading
    --> 614             indices = next(self.sample_iter)  # may raise StopIteration
        615             batch = self.collate_fn([self.dataset[i] for i in indices])
        616             if self.pin_memory:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/sampler.py in __iter__(self)
        158     def __iter__(self):
        159         batch = []
    --> 160         for idx in self.sampler:
        161             batch.append(idx)
        162             if len(batch) == self.batch_size:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/text/data.py in __iter__(self)
         59     def __len__(self) -> int: return len(self.data_source)
         60     def __iter__(self):
    ---> 61         return iter(sorted(range_of(self.data_source), key=self.key, reverse=True))
         63 class SortishSampler(Sampler):

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/text/data.py in <lambda>(t)
        244         dataloaders = [train_dl]
        245         for ds in datasets[1:]:
    --> 246             sampler = SortSampler(ds.x, key=lambda t: len(ds[t][0].data))
        247             dataloaders.append(DataLoader(ds, batch_size=bs, sampler=sampler, **kwargs))
        248         return cls(*dataloaders, path=path, collate_fn=collate_fn)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in __getitem__(self, idxs)
        413     def __getitem__(self,idxs:Union[int,np.ndarray])->'LabelList':
        414         if isinstance(try_int(idxs), int):
    --> 415             if self.item is None: x,y = self.x[idxs],self.y[idxs]
        416             else:                 x,y = self.item   ,0
        417             if self.tfms:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in __getitem__(self, idxs)
         81     def __getitem__(self,idxs:int)->Any:
    ---> 82         if isinstance(try_int(idxs), int): return self.get(idxs)
         83         else: return self.new(self.items[idxs], xtra=index_row(self.xtra, idxs))

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in get(self, i)
        276         o = self.items[i]
        277         if o is None: return None
    --> 278         return self._item_cls(one_hot(o, self.c), [self.classes[p] for p in o], o)
        280     def reconstruct(self, t):

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in <listcomp>(.0)
        276         o = self.items[i]
        277         if o is None: return None
    --> 278         return self._item_cls(one_hot(o, self.c), [self.classes[p] for p in o], o)
        280     def reconstruct(self, t):

TypeError: list indices must be integers or slices, not NoneType

Thank you @sgugger. This fixed the problem. Now I have another one:

learn.fit_one_cycle(1, 3e-2, moms=(0.8,0.7))

It gives an error at the validation stage - the default metrics accuracy is not appropriate may be:

~/anaconda2/envs/fastai.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/metrics.py in accuracy(input, targs)
     37     input = input.argmax(dim=-1).view(n,-1)
     38     targs = targs.view(n,-1)
---> 39     return (input==targs).float().mean()
     41 def error_rate(input:Tensor, targs:Tensor)->Rank0Tensor:

RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type Long but got scalar type Float for argument #2 'other'

I try to fix this with:

learn.metrics = accuracy_thresh

But I get an error:

TypeError: 'function' object is not iterable

Edit: a list of metrics is expected. This works:

learn.metrics = [accuracy_thresh]