Lesson 1 - Official topic

Sounds like we have a simple misunderstanding. We’re just saying that high school math is the only math prerequisite, and that all other needed math is introduced when required.

This is very different to saying you don’t need math. It’s just saying - you can learn it as you go. You shouldn’t first wait until you’ve studied for years at university before you get started with deep learning.

If we didn’t think math was useful, we wouldn’t have created a length matrix calculus tutorial: https://explained.ai/matrix-calculus/ . Or a computational linear algebra course: https://www.fast.ai/2017/07/17/num-lin-alg/

7 Likes

If I am to be honest I was just teasing (or almost, pardon me…) just to obtain a reply like this. And that since I heard a lot of my acquaintances saying that math is more an hindrance than a resource to “do stuff” in AI, and “even Jeremy says that” (of course I’m oversimplifying on purpose).

Now I can point them to your kind reply :wink:

Wow, that will be my honour! Actually, this is my first 3D printing project.

I am planning to convert it to a blog post using fastpage. But, it will possibly take me forever. Due to the current pandemic situation, please help to distribute it.

I contacted the lead STEM teacher of the champion. He may give me some feedback later. Can I update the blog post to refine the procedure in the future? Most importantly, I never write a public post before, can you check whether I get sufficient credits to the ‘Saving the Mask’ champion and Mr WH Lee? Thank you in advance.

5 Likes

Yes that’s all fine - thanks Sarada. I’ll put the markdown into a wiki topic here so you can easily edit it as required. (And if you edit it, let me know, so I can update the post).

1 Like

Give me another 15 minutes. Let me upload few photos in the doc first.

2 Likes

Added photos. All yours. Good night (1 am my time) :sleeping:

3 Likes

I’d like to reset my lesson 1 notebook back to original form (I forgot to make a copy) I searched the forum but didn’t see the topic addressed.

I want to upload my own cat photo. When executing the uploader, instead of an upload button I get this error:

AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
----> 1 uploader = widgets.FileUpload()
2 uploader

AttributeError: module ‘ipywidgets.widgets’ has no attribute ‘FileUpload’

<<<
Anybody know why? (I searched this topic and didn’t see anything)

Hey Jason - you can reset the whole branch to match master with:

git fetch origin
git reset --hard origin/master

I think this will reset everything though so be careful.

You could also just go to the github page and download the notebook:

2 Likes

I use notion too - though for general ToDo lists and notes. Fluid and great to use.

Is this happening in a normal jupyter notebook running locally? Or are you using collab, paperspace or some other cloud type jazz?

@moody post here

5 Likes

I’m on paperspace. thx.

Amazing work Sarada!

1 Like

Can you please try to update your ipywidgets.

pip install ipywidgets --upgrade

2 Likes

Is anybody else getting blank images below after doing dls.show_batch()? I am simply running Lesson-1 and did a show_batch after creating dls.

2 Likes

What notebook is this in? Have you pulled the latest changes from master?

For me it is all ok, Maybe can you try with dls.valid.show_batch(max_n=4, nrows=1)

I am importing my own dataset that I saved in that directory in Paperspace any idea how to extract with untar_data it is a .zip file and it should work.

I faced the same issue yesterday, only on the PETs dataset