Lesson 1 - Official topic

Thank you Jeremy, the community is where it is all thanks to your Rachel and Sylvains support. Absolutely love this community and look forward to socializing and becoming friends with everyone here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That first part was interesting Jeremy, Rachel, Thanks.

I am in the UK and one of the high at risk categories. I am self isolated but I intend to get on my cycle and ride the Lancashire lanes in isolation. I think being physically fit is important. I have previously followed a 12 week training program devised by British Cycling and after 2 week rest start another 12 week program mainly indoors but longer rides outside. It helps with the sanity.

3 Likes

Typically my covid news comes from 1. twitter hot takes and 2. mixed signals from tv news. Lets hope youtube gets a weekly jeremy covid summary

2 Likes

This is such a great community to be a part of :slight_smile: Congrats on making a great video about COVID-19 – it’s really great to have been here when it was recorded :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Stoked about this book! Already reading an early release on Oreilly, and it’s phenomenal. Buy it folks!

2 Likes

If you want to know a little more about the new library and book.

I was lucky to interview Sylvain where we discussed all about it (soft-released for the fastai community, please don’t share outside forums): AMA Interview with Sylvain Gugger | Chai Time Data Science Podcast

9 Likes

When will the book be released? I have per-ordered it, but not sure when it will be available/delivered

The official release date is July 14th, but with the pandemic, it might be pushed further…

8 Likes

Can we have a signed version of the book from you guys?

14 Likes

Oreilly’s official release date is June 2020.

2 Likes

Bastille day ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When will the MOOC for the Data Ethics class be released? I really wanted to go to the in-person class but couldn’t this time around.

7 Likes

This may not be something that you want to address, but I’m curious if the funds from the book go to the fastai team or to O’Reilly.

1 Like

We haven’t set a definitive date yet for releasing the Data Ethics MOOC, but it will be July at the latest.

16 Likes

I don’t want to share a -ve emotion, but I want to say this out loud again, if you feel intimidated by “CS Background” people having a “better start” in this amazing field.

I studied CS at University-IMO, it didn’t make me a better coder. Practising code made me a better coder.

Please don’t let that intimidate you. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

To piggy-back on that, I have little education on CS and only knew Windows before taking the fastai course two years ago. You can learn the “geeky/hacker” things as you go, you don’t need to know any of them beforehand.

26 Likes

i studied management and learned how to code through fastai. its definitely possible to start from 0

11 Likes

Just want to second the opinion - I didn;t know how to code when I started fast.ai last year for the first time and eventually learnt my way bit by bit. It’s absolutely not necessary to know “everything” about Python at the start, but only a basic understanding of what’s going around is really helpful.

Everything can else be learnt day by day through continuous effort.

6 Likes

“… without any human training or control” . Isn’t the training part of building a DNN a “human training”? We use human-generated labels after all

Yes, in that regard, it is under human control (and this part is crucial for ethics). What that statement means is that a human is not coding step by step how the algorithm is making its decision.

3 Likes