Lesson 1 In-Class Discussion ✅

That worked. Thanks!

We will go deeper into PyTorch as we get further in the course. The course follows a top-down teaching approach, of getting into lower level details as time goes on.

1 Like

I started a thread on this above.

You right, I’ve edited my original post. Thank you

1 Like

You probably need to update the library. Conda update fastai

1 Like

this has 8 likes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get this error:
Reason: image not found

It’s not the same way to train the model as Keras doesn’t implement 1cycle. Also it’s probably the same model, but I’m not sure they treat the frozen BatchNorm layers probably (advanced topic for the end of the course).

3 Likes

What level of math should one be familiar with to follow along Ian Goodfellow’s book on deep learning?

1 Like

Yeah, I just think it’s an apples to oranges comparison. fastai is GREAT! But so is Keras! (and Keras is just a “front-end” anyway)

As much an awesome reference this is, you won’t need it to follow this course (if you don’t have the knowledege in math I mean).

1 Like

I have read the book, it’s self consistent with the mathematics. The first 3 chapters or so are dedicated to the math you will need to know.

1 Like

Tensorflow has TensorFlow-Lite for mobile. Any such for pytorch or fastai?

4 Likes

But keep in mind that having more mathematics won’t hurt for reading the book, but the fast.ai course doesn’t require this level of math knowledge.

Interview with OpenAI Fellow: Christine McLeavey Payne by alumni of our course, @init_27.

Christine McLeavey: one of my favorite pieces of advice was from FastAI’s Jeremy Howard. He told me to focus on making one really great project that showed off my skills. He says that so many people have many interesting but half-finished projects on github, and that it’s much better to have a single one that is really polished.

7 Likes

@rachel , I´m interested in putting an ULMFit model in production in my company. Can you point out a source to how put fastai models in production?

4 Likes

Please read this post for more details and links to the code: http://www.fast.ai/2018/10/02/fastai-ai/
The fastai library uses fine-tuning as well. I’m not sure why you are suggesting that our comparison is disingenuous or that our approach doesn’t generalize.

3 Likes

I’ll ask at next topic pause.

I have to admit it was a hell of a week and couldn’t prep things properly.

Is there information somewhere of which setup I need to follow along the code? fastai_v1 doesn’t work (actually imports work but some helper functions are missing, e.g. untar_data) and installation of 0.7.0 did not work either. Does anybody know fastai-pytorch combination for the course? Thanks in advance.

P.S.: using linux

Kind regards,
Theodore.

Will the presentations be online after the classes, along with the video?

4 Likes