Learning by watching Jeremy code

Hello everyone,

I’m sorry to @ you directly @jeremy but I couldn’t find what I was looking for elsewhere and I think it could be useful for other fast.ai students. I hope it wasn’t mentionned elsewhere already.

I was listening to your interview on This Week in Machine Learning and AI (great interview for anyone reading this, very informative on fast.ai and how it was built) and you mentioned that for the in-person course you open a big room where you work and students can work with you. In particular, you said that you project your own work on a big screen and that students are learning a lot by watching you test, refactor and build your code.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to record that and post it here so that we could see you code outside of the lesson, in which everything is already working ? I for one would enjoy it and learn a lot from it and I think others might too.

9 Likes

If I am not wrong he kind of demonstrates this in one of the Machine Learning lectures in which he codes a random forest from scratch.

I have wondered about that, but honestly I spent most of the day breaking things, or going in silly directions that later turn out to be a waste of time.

I’ll have a think however about whether there are opportunities to record some bits.

4 Likes

Maybe just keep a camera on and grab the video after you stumble into something interesting.

I don’t think the end result is that important, at least for me. Of course it would be great to see you searching and building the next great feature of the fastai librairy, but what I care about most is to see how you code and learn from that.

Also maybe it would be good for us to see that even you can, as you say, break things and go in silly directions ? I mean that process of experimenting and doing things that don’t always work out is precisely what you talked about in a part of the podcast and what I would love to see – and we of course all go through that process whenever we code. I’m pretty sure there’s a ton of small things you do and habits you have that would be a great learning experience for us :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for thinking about it !

5 Likes