Learning about regular expressions

(Andrew) #1

Hi there, I am just getting started in this course and learning about deep learning. There are many links to video tutorials and posts about regular expressions in the Resources of Lesson 1. Should I invest a good amount of time learning about regular expressions now, or can it wait? Is the usage of regular expressions common in deep learning? I am trying to make the best use of my time and not get too into the weeds just yet.

Thanks,
Andrew

(魏璎珞) #2

short answer, it can wait :slight_smile:

(amine) #3

Regular expressions are just a tool in certain tasks. You don’t need to invest much time on that.The best way to learn fast is by practice. Whenever you need to find a certain pattern in text try to do it using a regex and there is a good website https://regex101.com/ that can guide you and help you debug and understand each regex you type :wink:

(Robert Bracco) #4

I had this same question in my head about two weeks ago. It definitely can wait, but it’s not as hard as it looks.

There is a fantastic interactive tutorial at regexone.com. It will walk you through what everything means and give you problems to solve (that reflect what your regex pattern is matching in real time). Maybe takes an hour to an hour and a half. Hope that gives you more info to make a decision

(Robert Bracco) #5

On a separate note, I think everyone comes into this class from different backgrounds. Many of us haven’t had exposure to the large number of technologies that, while not essential, are pretty important for deep learning. My personal list includes…

• Git/Github
  • Numpy
  • Pandas
  • MatPlotLib
  • Jupyter Notebook
  • Regular Expressions
  • A remote editor like vim/nano/sublime

I think it would be great to have a thread or wiki with the best resources and tutorials for these mini-topics, just like we do for the recommended python resources. It would help people who are new to a lot more than AI to not get overwhelmed knowing there’s a neat list they can bite off one chunk at a time.

Finally it should include a warning that these are not in any way prerequisites that should take precedence over the lessons/code, but instead are meant to be tackled gradually based on what your most pressing AI needs are.

Let me know if this already exists somewhere and if not let’s build it!

(Andrew) #6

I am definitely late in replying here but thank you all for the feedback! Very good input to help me prioritize my learning time.