Keeping setup/settings/makefile up-to-date with nbdev

I’m using nbdev to create a package, and I’ve encountered some versions-related difficulties that only show up in the conda stage of “make release”:

INFO conda_build.source:download_to_cache(80): Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/7a/ee/7ef41c2f10d6fd7c2ada36c403eb8bdaf7c0d4025a063c7b4dff17451dd8/pybrms-0.0.33.tar.gz
INFO:conda_build.source:Success
INFO conda_build.source:download_to_cache(91): Success
    Running command python setup.py egg_info
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/private/tmp/pip-req-build-rxe17y0m/setup.py", line 18, in <module>
        assert o in cfg, "missing expected setting: {}".format(o)
    AssertionError: missing expected setting: version
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
Traceback (most recent call last):

The full traceback can be found at the original post (here); I still haven’t solved it.

I’m trying to understand if this is somehow related to the fact that I originally forked a relatively early version of nbdev, so my setup.py/settings.ini are “old” but I’m trying to use a relatively “new” functionality (conda packaging). My question: is there a way to keep the nbdev-related parts of a repo (setup.py, settings.ini, Makefile, etc) up-to-date with nbdev itself? I thought about deleting the repo and re-forking nbdev, but this would delete the open issues, and in general seems like a bad way to solve this.

Any help would be much appreciated!