Irish Language Corpus - Hosting Costs?

TL;DR

I’d like to create an Irish Language corpus, roughly how much might it cost to host a 5gb corpus for public downloads (say on AWS)?

This AWS calculator estimates 10USD per month for S3 Glacier storage (assuming 500GB/month downloads), does that seem to be in the right ballpark?

Irish Corpus

Given the lack of availability, I would love to create and host a decent public Irish language corpus provided its not crazy expensive

I’ve been looking around for Irish language datasets that I could use for some general NLP learning and have found it surprisingly difficult to find any decent ones. Either the data seems to be copyrighted or old Irish (50-150+ years old) or legal text.

This 2019 NMT paper outlines some good sources and this one also lists a few (old Irish and legal) but they also had to do their own scraping.

I used the wikipedia script from the fastai dl2 course to grab Irish wikipedia texts but there only about 100k lines of text.

Cost?

So, how much (ballpark) might hosting such a corpus cost? On AWS? Azure? Others? Say its 5gb (complete guess). Probably there is a bandwidth cost for downloads? Assume 100 downloads a month? Can you limit downloaders per day/week/month? Whats the best solution to host a small number (say 1-5) files?

An alternative would be to host it on Kaggle, which I would probably also do, but I’d also prefer to not have to rely on them.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

1 Like

One suggestion: if you want to offer public downloads I think you’d save money by using a caching layer in addition to S3, something like CloudFront.

Nice, I’ll check it out, thanks!

Hey peeps! sorry for coming this late but with some potential coupons.

So, hosting servers is always not only hurdles but also it’s costing. So, here one of my favorite platform, Cloudways is offering a standard promotion offer of 40% OFF for 4 Months on all hosting plans + Up to 30 Free Migrations. You can type the promo code: BFCM4030

Validity: 14th November 2022 till 1st December 2022

Cheers! :slight_smile: