Introduce yourself here!

Hi all,

This is Chaitanya from Hyderabad, India. I have been looking into the fastai library and course since the last couple of months. I have previously done some Machine Learning and Deep Learning MOOC’s. I am currently working as an Intern at IIT Hyderabad, my main work is on applying deep learning techniques to thermal images, sideways I am also working on some computer vision related research stuff.

Excited to be a part of this course, Hoping to learn a lot from you all.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Mauro. I’m an MS Mechanical Engineer. I’ve taken some courses in Machine Learning, Python, etc. My formal programming training many years ago was in Fortran and Matlab. Taught myself Basic with a book when I was around 9 years old. Going into Deep Learning to eventually go into Artificial Intelligence. I’m in Montreal Canada right now. Currently working on studying Deep Learning.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m an undergraduate student doing Deep Learning and I’m super to be joining the fastai boat again :smiley:

I’ve done a few toy projects related to CV and I blog about ML, CV.
I’m excited about ML in agritech-as a long-term goal.
For the short term (Short = 5-10 years) I want to become better at kaggle.

Best Regards,
Sanyam Bhutani.

PS: You can identify me at meetups by this Uncool tee
(It’s a custom printed one, not an official fast.ai tee)

22 Likes

Hi All,
I am Vibhutha Kumarage from Sri Lanka… I’m a mechanical Engineer who work as a Full Stack developer and Loves Data Science… <3
Thanks Jeremy, Rachel and FastAi for this great opportunity !

1 Like

Hi all - my name’s Binal. I’m currently a data scientist/ML engineer at Vituity, working within healthcare, with prior experience in machine learning.

I hadn’t had much of a chance to do deep learning until I came across Fast.AI, and now I’m working on using it on publicly available and private clinical datasets to help improve the field. My day to day involves working with medical data to create predictive algorithms, and I’m hoping to use what I learn to improve upon those and make them more useful.

I’m particularly interested in NLP and in the idea of creating representations of medical codes/concepts that can be used widely. I’m currently working on creating a language model in the ULMFiT mould, and on training a network to learn embeddings for high-cardinality diagnosis and procedure codes.

1 Like

Hey fellas, I am so glad to be here. I am super hyped.

I am Atlas from Istanbul, Turkey. I am Industrial engineer senior, but i am going to be machine learning engineer/researcher. I started to learn about machine learning with Andrew Ng machine learning course and a first three deep learning specialization course. After these, i had a chance to study in abroad for 6 months.( Erasmus program). I was able to take machine learning courses from master lectures in erasmus. It was so good. I have a good overview over machine learning and deep learning but i lack practical application understanding and deep mathematical theory. Hopefully i will get practical understanding from this course.

I am interested in dl/ml because of Isaac Asimov. His robot series have had a big impact on me. I don’t want to die before i see AGI and humanoid robots. Contributing AGI development is my long term goal.

In short term, i would like to learn almost any area in deep learning in a rough way. I would like to develop a deep intuition. Then i might speciliaze on GANS or NLP. I am going to try get ideas to develop AGI while i am studying these.

I also want to contribute fast ai community. I have a couple of ideas to contribute, but they need to be matured. Let’s see after the lectures how they will evolve.

Best Regards.

3 Likes

Hi, I am a full stack software engineer in France. My interest in data science started when i chose Big Data as a specialization in my university. Since then, I worked on a couple of projects related to NLP in machine learning. Last year I discovered fast.ai and I loved the course concept and community help, I have done some of the lectures of v1 and I used the library to apply CNN on classifying e-commerce product images. Last summer I participated with my work colleague in Rakuten e-commerce data challenge https://sigir-ecom.github.io/data-task.html, it was an interesting experience, we learned a lot and our final solution was not bad :stuck_out_tongue: (4th place) : actually the best solution used fastai latest paper about transfer learning in text classification. Right now I work with javascript on a couple of projects related to e-commerce and I hope this course will strengthen my knowledge in ML/DL and help me build powerful tools that use AI.

2 Likes

Hey “The Uncool Practitioner”,

The links are broken.

And I wonder what happened to “AI Geek Leader”… Oh, is that TensorFlow’s orange? :grinning:

3 Likes

I’ve fixed them.

1 Like

I am from vizag, India. I an doing undergraduate course in Naval Architect & Ocean Engineering. I know almost all ML algorithm and some DL algorithm(except RNNs and GANs) along with math involved behind them. I am hoping to learn RNNs and GANs and apply these concepts in my core field. Currently, i am working on ship design. I think being good in maths(high school+ first year college) makes today’s AI look easy.
thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Hey Everyone-I am Shubh from Melbourne.In the past I have worked in Data science/Machine learning space for few of the global banks and financial institutions.My interest lies in application of deep learning/advanced data engineering in the space of transactional /textual financial information.I want to understand what is the optimum way of applying high abstraction techniques like deep learning in highly regulated industries like banking and Insurance.

1 Like

Hi, everyone.

I am Chen Shikun, a Mechanial Engineer graduate student. I received my Master degree in Germany. During my college, I have learned many knowledge about ML and DL (Andrew Ng ML and DL specialization, DataCamp …).
I am working on the Machine Learning from fastai, it provides a very new perspective about ML, I love to learn more conceptual framework and library about ML/DL. So I decide to join in this course!

I am looking forword to working as a Data Scientist in Germany or China. I blog almost every week. This is my personal website. I still need to enhance my knowledge such as programming and more deeper understanding to DL.

I am very welcome someone can join me, we can study and discuss together!

Happy Learning!

3 Likes

Hi,

I am Alan from Mexico. I am an Industrial Engineer with an MBA. I did a project implementing machine learning projects for a distribution company. I have been studying machine learning first with Andrew Ng’s course and with the current fast.ai course. I hope to learn more about deep learning, and understand it so i can apply it in different areas.

1 Like

I’m Kevin from Omaha, Nebraska. I have taken Part 1 v1, Part 1 v2, and Part 2 v2. I’m really excited to start on Part 1 v3. The new library looks really promising and I’m looking forward to learning it and become more active blogging. I am also looking for problems to work on for companies outside of Kaggle. I think actual implementation is something that I need to get better at and while Kaggle is great for learning, it doesn’t give a great real-world environment for actually putting a model into production so I will be working on a few side projects where I not only generate the predictions, but I also help build a product that an end user will be able to interact with. The last goal I have for Part 1 v3 is I want to get more people in Omaha and Nebraska excited about deep learning so I will be working on building an environment for other data science practitioners to take Part 1 v3 once it is released as a MOOC.

13 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Masaki from Tokyo. I am a senior student doing research on applying machine learning to computer networking to enhance it’s QoS (quality of service) using tabular data classification method.

I watched the previous courses and surprised at and satisfied with the quality.
Currently I’m rewriting notebooks from the previous lectures in the latest fastai library and watching ML course.
I’m looking forward to see competent learners.

7 Likes

I hope you share that work! Might be useful to other learners too :slight_smile: Sounds like a great project.

3 Likes

Hi all!

I’m excited to be part of another fast.ai session. I caught the deep learning bug a little over a year ago when I encountered the Part 1 v1 videos, and I was lucky enough to get to do the International Fellowship for Part 2 v2 this year.

I live in New York City, where I work as an engineer on the data team at Compass, a tech-powered real estate brokerage. I do a lot of work ingesting and processing image and text data related to real estate listings, and I’m hoping I can take some of what I learn in the course and apply it to our domain.

I’ve done a couple things in deep learning so far that I’m proud of:

And a couple things I’m in the middle of that I’ll be wrapping up before the course starts:

Can’t wait for the first lecture! I’m trying to help organize an in-person study group in NYC, so let me know if you want to join.

14 Likes

Hey everyone,

I’m Paul. I live up in Seattle and I am a security engineer trying to figure out how NLP can help me solve massive security problems. I have dabbled in it a bit, but it can be hard to wrap your mind about what is going on under the covers.

I have heard a lot of good things about this class and look forward to taking it.

Thank you so much Jeremy for opening it up to us.

2 Likes

Sure! The things are here https://github.com/crcrpar/fastai_courses_in_v1/tree/fastaiV1 though most of them are under construction.:construction:

Also, since I started this to review & understand the contents, notebooks lack explanations and have a bunch of errors.

2 Likes

Thank you so much :sweat_smile:

@cedric This shade is Kesar (hindi): As per my religion, this orange (Kesar) represents devotion and knowledge- the Fastai “Jersey” is a devotion to being an “uncool practitioner” :smiley: (People watch football matches with their favorite jerseys on, I’ll wear my fastai jersey for the live lectures. :sunglasses:)

I’m still a PyTorch fan and given the 1.0 announcements, I think I’ll continue falling in love with PyTorch and I won’t cheat with TF on the side.

9 Likes