Introduce yourself here!

Hi, I am Shreyas from Pune, India.I am a Software Developer. I have done ML course by Andrew Ng from Coursera. I started doing fast.ai courses since the start of this year. I have completed part 1 of deep learning fast.ai. Looking forward to dive deep into fast.ai and deep learning and applying the concepts to other data sets and start participating in Kaggle competitions. I am looking forward to learn from all the other students! Transfer learning is a great tool!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Mathu from Chennai, India. I work as a Data Scientist. Have learnt and used the classical Machine Learning algorithms and am eager to learn Deep Learning. Mostly interested in using Deep Learning for NLP and structured data. I am looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

1 Like

I am a professional Java developer from Bangalore, India with 13 years of product development experience in networking/telecom industry. Very recently, I have started working as a Machine Learning Engineer for an organization in the energy sector building ML pipeline and models for predictive maintenance use cases.

Three years back, I started my Machine Learning journey with Andrew NGā€™s Machine Learning course. Since then, I have completed several courses including (almost) an year long, on-the-job training program by my previous employer (Cisco). I have learned data science in the traditional way (Learn Math first and then statistics and then ML and then build thingsā€¦). I did that as I was familiar with that academic methodology and since internet told me to do so (back in 2015). But over time, I started to feel that I should have done it in the reverse order. That is when I got to know about fastai and the whole approach of learning. I went through several videos from the ML courses at the beginning of this year. That is helping me at my work right now.

With the knowledge acquired from this course I want to:

1. Apply DL on tabular, time series data (at work).
  2. Apply NLP on Indian Languages [Bengali (my mother tongue) to start with]

In between, I had the opportunity to volunteer for multiple Indian, non-profit organizations helping them solve their Data Science related problems (as a volunteer of DataKind, Bangalore). It was a very fulfilling experience. I am already 38, but I am still hopeful that at some point of my life, I will be able to use technology for the improvement of ā€˜not so privilegedā€™ people around the world.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Amil, a radiologist from California. I have been doing a little programming for the past 20+ year as a hobby. I started becoming interested in deep learning after participating in the RSNA Bone Age competition in 2017. I have been using NLP in my research for several years and I am interested in applying deep learning for classification of medical texts and radiology reports. I also want to use deep learning for classification and segmentation of radiological images. I watched fast.ai v2 course, and after practicing the first 3 lectures, I was able to participate in the ImageCLEF 2018 Tuberculosis - MDR detection task and achieve the best accuracy. I want to learn what the new Fast.ai V1 library offers.

11 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Jan from South Africa. I have a background in statistics but spent most of my last years at university teaching myself deep learning and coding, mostly through the previous versions of this course.

Currently working for a machine learning consultancy and have used DL to solve many of the problems (vision, text and tabular). Looking forward to take a deep dive into the new library. Hope to apply it to problems in the audio domain. Would be cool to build an audio version of the language model.

Thanks for this opportunity.

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Deepanshu. I work in the field of Financial Quantitative Research. I am from India.

I have been interested in machine learning since my engineering days. I stumbled upon Andrew NGā€™s original ML course on Stanford Online in my second year of engineering. This was even before Coursera existed, I think.

Later on I did MBA and started working in the field of finance. I have worked at a large international bank and currently I am working in a startup. Here I use Machine Learning to improve systematic trading strategies.

I went through the UWā€™s ML specialization on Coursera. It was my first introduction to python. Since then, i Have come a long way and have been using some of the popular python based ML libraries in my day-to-day work.

Deep learning has always fascinated me. It was the v1 of Part 1 of the FastAiā€™s Dl course which opened my mind to the huge potential Deep Learning has.

It feels great to be a part of the live version of the course for the first time!

Looking forward to an exciting learning experience!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Kruno, a vet med student from Zagreb, Croatia. I have been using fast.ai since 2017 and since then have used DL to solve several problems in veterinary medicine - feline reticulocyte count and canine intestinal parasite detection (i used coconut-app from @ramesh and @daveluo as a template; server is not very stable). I havenā€™t done aything from scratch yet and that is my goal for this course

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

So excited to get this started! My name is Theodore and I am currently a Computational Environmental Designer working in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry.

I have been tinkering with ML for the last 18 months, researching and implementing a number of workflows that reside in the intersection of ML and AEC, especially relating to Parametric Design Optimization. Quickly after getting into ML/DL however I started to look deeper into other areas that havenā€™t been traditionally linked with the AEC, like CV and NLP. I became fascinated with the subject and the sheer potential of possibilities out there.

What I am hoping to get out of the course is a concrete understanding of the main concepts and workings behind the architectures and tasks that will be covered. Understanding is the key here, and is really all one needs at this moment (apart from being passionate about a problem). I would also love to get an initiation concerning implementation and deployment of models, although I understand that might not be covered much.

I am currently working on two research ideas, in two different areas:

• The first idea is an effort to develop a multi-modal representation framework that can inform and improve urban design processes and urban development. There are numerous attempts to utilize DL in the urban realm but none (that I have found) has focused on the process of design itself and with a goal of improving environmental performance and comfort. This is linked to my personal domain knowledge and expertise which involves the development of SOTA thermal comfort assessment workflows. Due to the multi-modal nature of input data this project traverses across many areas of ML/DL.

• The second idea is a project that tries to enable translations, and through that engagement and empowerment, between so-called low resource languages which are being used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is obviously a bit more specific to the NLP area.

That is all! Before we start on this wonderful journey, I wanted once again to thank you all for your efforts. fast.ai is really changing our world[s]. We thank you.

Kind regards,
Theodore.

7 Likes

HI! Iā€™m Rekha, a Data Scientist working at Chennai.

Thanks @rachel and @jeremy for this great course!

1 Like

Hey everyone,

My name is Ramesh. Iā€™m a full stack engineer working out of Bangalore, India. Also pursuing OMSCS part-time (soon full time). Iā€™ve had interests in machine learning for quite sometime now and have done MOOCs on it (deeplearning.ai completed and fast.ai deep learning course in progress). Till now have only completed small projects and would like to expand on my existing knowledge for some of my areas of interest. Those include generative modelling and reinforcement learning.

To expand on the generative modelling idea, Iā€™d like to explore the aspect of being able to create a suite of tools that could aid designers in prototyping things like logos/fonts/user interfaces. Iā€™ve seen implementations such as pix2code and would like to get a better understanding of those models.

Super excited to be part of this course and hope I can contribute towards the forums and discussions!!

1 Like

Hi all!

Very excited to be here! Iā€™m Tal, Iā€™m from Israel and I currently work as a software developer in a retail company trying to apply ML and DL using 3D videos for fine-grained classification problems.

I really hope to learn more about how to work with imbalanced data and maybe to learn more about how to deal with fine-grained classification.

Thanks @jeremy and @rachel for these amazing courses!

5 Likes

Happy to see the new forum and excited to start this course for third time. New fastai library, Pytorch 1.0, Excitement, cannot ask for more.

I am based in Pune, India. My day job includes Linux Kernel, BSP, Systems Programming. Deep Learning is a part time job for me with almost 2 years of python programming with FastAi library, Pytorch, little bit keras.

Currently, I am applying deep learning in automated systems testing. I am also working on Speaker Recognition for Automobile Security.

2 Likes

Hi, I am abhi Gupta from India. I am a CS undergrad. I have been learning from the fastai courses for quite a while now. I hope this year too I will learn new things through your course. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Hello Everybody,

I am Machine Learning Engineer working for a company in Germany. I have some experience working with ML algorithms and the concepts behind it. Last year I came across fastai and found it very interesting but unfortunately couldnā€™t complete the yoututbe videos. But this year I completed all the part 1 v2 videos and also implemented some techniques at my work specifically ( TTA, and SGDR) helped us a lot. I am really looking forward to learn more and improve on my understanding and implement deep learning for a cause I want to.

I expect to dig in deep in Computer vision and using Deep Learning for tabular data. Learning more about embedding because I think this can be a game changer if we use those embeddings created during Deep Learning in our normal Machine Learning algorithms. I am currently myself exploring this topic. would love to see a quick implementation of this in the course as well.

1 Like

HEY!!! Iā€™m Shun Kakinoki, I have spent my childhood years in the United States(Cupertino, CA) from 4 to 10 years old. I am extremely passionate about the potential of AI and Deep Learning on the future of humanity and beyond. I LOVE YOU fast.ai and Jeremy for bringing this fantastic course!!!

2 Likes

Hello everybody,

Iā€™m based in Madrid, Spain. I have a background in geospatial data and statistics and am looking to bring my skills up-to-date. So far I have done some Coursera courses: Applied Data Science with Python Specialization and Andrew Ngā€™s Machine Learning, and the Machine Learning and Part 1 courses here. I love the more real-worldy aspect of fast.ai and all the insights in seemingly throwaway remarks. This summer I attempted the Data Science Awards Spain challenge on predicting Alzheimerā€™s. In the future, I would like to do more challenges to put what I have learnt into practice.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Akshay from Bangalore, India. I am working as a developer for a MNC mainly doing C# programming. I am quite new to this area, specially Deep Learning. Currently I am taking an internship on Deep Neural Networks. With this course I intend to deepen my understanding of the subject and make a switch to this field. I know its not gonna be easy but I am ready to work hard to accomplish this.

Looking forward to study groups and meetups in Bangalore as well. Would be a great way to discuss and connect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there,

I am Carsten from Munich, Germany. Full stack developer&architect, programming for more than 18 years now. About 6 months ago Iā€™ve got hooked by the tensorflow basic classification tutorial. Since then I started to work on a product idea that involves (among other things) very precise object detection in a challenging environment. I also found out about fast.ai and Rachelā€™s and Howardā€™s outstanding work on promoting deep learning to a wide community.
I am planing to participate and give something back whenever I can.
Streaming times beginning from 2.30 AM in my timezone will be challenging, but there is no way I miss a single one of those great opportunities to learn from the best.

Thanks @rachel & @jeremy !!

5 Likes

Hello Friends,

Iā€™m Mohan from Bengaluru, India. I work in a startup applying ML for medical diagnosis. This is my first time here. Hope to pick up a few tricks of the deep learning trade through this course.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am Fred, from Brasilia, Brazil. I have founded and sold a consultancy in optimization applications. I have been studying DL for about a year or a little bit more, but to be honest I think I started to really get it after I found fastai courses.

I am interested in the intersection of computer vision and NLP. I also have worked in a bunch of segmentation problems.

2 Likes