Impact of Image Resizing on Model Training Time and Performance

In class Jeremy mentioned his belief that different resizing methods would have an impact on model training time and performance. This is a really interesting question and relevant to me since I’m working on the Fisheries competition and have been using the square images that come from the Keras image data generators. I’m still working on the right approach to answering this question but have a starting point and wanted to open it up for some early feedback. The notebook is available here: https://github.com/ostegm/resizing/blob/master/Resizing.ipynb

As a starting point, I picked out three Methods for reshaping and resizing an image - here’s the original image and examples of each method:

Original Image:

1. “Squashing” - ignore aspect ratio and squash to (224,224)

2. “Center Cropping” - resize the image so the shortest side is 224 but the aspect ratio is unchanged, then center crop the longer side

3. “Black Borders” - Add zeros to make the image square, then resize to (224,224)

From here, I took the dogs vs cats data set from part 1 (via kaggle) and generated resized images using each of these methods. Initially, I wanted to train VGG from scratch using each of them, but I decided to start with fine tuning since I knew this would be faster to see some results. Initially, I fine-tuned the fully connected layers of VGG for 30 epochs and compared the validation accuracy of the 3 methods:

It looks like we do see some differences between the 3 cropping methods, but I wondered how much of that was more the result of the model initialization and “luck” (getting an easy to learn batch first). So I basically redid the step above many times and then looked to see if there was a pattern:

From my perspective, this looks like noise - meaning none of the methods is significantly better for fine-tuning than any other. However theres a lot to dig into here… some questions that come to mind:

• Whats the best way to compare these methods on a level playing field? In reality, someone would be babysitting the learning process (tuning the learning rate, modifying the dropout etc.) - which might lead to better models in the end, but since I’m not doing that here, I might falsely conclude that one cropping method is “worse”
  • How do these results differ with a different dataset with a harder task (like fisheries or even imagenet)?
  • What would happen if we started from random weights. Would one model converge faster?
  • If starting from random weights, should it be VGG (or resnet/inception), or just any functioning convolutional neural network? How does that change things?

I think my next step here is going to be trying to train a model from random weights, but I need to think of clever ways to make the training process faster as well as find a way to compare these on a level playing field I’d love any questions, comments or suggestions on those topics, or any other ideas!

6 Likes

This is an interesting start - good on you!

I think it would be nice to take the average of each group in the last pic so that you just have three lines - or better still get the stdev as well and plot 3 sets of “error bars” or similar. That way we can see how they compare more easily.

Then it would be good to try to improve your training approach so it doesn’t overfit - or at least doesn’t overfit so quickly. Data augmentation would be the obvious thing to add. It’s hard to compare approaches when you haven’t really optimized the training hyperparams yet.

That would then be enough for an initial blog post IMHO - even if there’s no big difference, that’s still worth telling people about, and hopefully you’ll get some feedback on your open questions which might be useful in your follow up work.

1 Like

Nice work! It seems like you are starting to overfit around epoch ~10. I would store the weights at that point and do some learning rate annealing to first make sure we have a non fluctuating accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback thus far, both good points! I’ll try to work these in and write it up!

The spread for center_crop seems to be consistently wider. Is this real? Does it mean the center_crop gives the most inconsistent results?

I am training on two classes using classification for an anomaly object detection problem as the categories are known but not location is not specified.
Both centre crop and squish perform to 99.9 percent. The best results are as follows.

For the centre crop
train_loss is 0.015476
valid_loss is 0.001982
accuracy is 0.999314

For the squash
train_loss is 0.005645
valid_loss is 0.004151
accuracy is 0.998971

My question is as follows. Even though the accuracy is lower and the validation loss is higher with the squash, the training loss is also lower so maybe the squash is better?
This makes sense because through the crop process some of the anomalies might be removed from the image, as they may be on the side of the rectangular that is cropped out. This would lead to some images to be considered category a rather than category b.
On the other hand, the cropped data algorithm has a lower validation loss, higher accuracy albeit a much higher training loss.
Could it be that the small errors in the training data that occurred with the cropping lad to a more generalizable algorithm?
Any thoughts much appreciated