Howto: installation on Windows

Thanks naveed but I could not really understand. Perhaps if you mark the end of each line or format it better, it would more readable?

Click the upward arrow button

I followed these steps to setup my environment but a lot of libraries like seaborn,bcolz, graphviz were not present.
I individually installed them but graphviz still wasn’t getting imported!!

Using the way specified by jeremy, I’m getting this error:

Is your Conda up to date? I recall something like this a while back.

Yes, my conda was up to date.
But I found another way to install and everything was running great.
I’m listing my steps:

1. Removed previous Anaconda installation along with all registry files using Revo Uninstaller.
  2. Installed miniconda
  3. git clone https://github.com/fastai/fastai
  4. cd fastai
  5. conda create -n fastai python=3.6 anaconda
  6. conda env update
  7. activate fastai

Hopefully this may help others.

2 Likes

Hey,
I didn’t find a post regarding the stable windows version of Pytorch 1.0.

So Since Pytorch 1.0 is stable now, the windows user can install Pytorch via conda. Is it also possible for the fastai 1.0 libary? Or do I still have to build it from source?

@brismith I am not able to import the modules such
fastai.torch_imports , fastai.io, fastai.model, fastai.dataset I couldn’t find torch_imports and fastai.io even in the github repo. Any ideas how i can fix these. Even on kaggle, these modules seem to be missing

What version of FastAI do you have? I think this was a recent change - I have 1.0.39 and these import just fine.
Try:
conda update -c fastai fastai
and see if that solves the problem.

These were my steps - since then I have updated to FastAI 1.0.39. Some of us have noticed that Windows is slow getting going at the start and between epochs when training.
https://forums.fast.ai/t/pytorch-1-0-is-officially-released/32212/15?u=brismith

I packed it in after a couple days trying to get it to work. I don’t think Fastai is quite ready for public consumption yet!
However; the course is excellent I am watching the lectures and then completing the exercises using other tools. (actually probably a better learning experience in the long run)…

hi, I am trying to install fasti on a windows machine running cuda 10. I am facing a lot if difficulty also i dont seem to be able to access your post. Is it possible you can re-post it somewhere that I can access.
regards,

Here is the posting @sahand68. I think now the Conda Kernels may be in the latest FastAI.

I’m getting past that error with Python 3.7 and FastAI 1.0.37.
This is the steps I’m using for my Conda environment. Windows 10.
conda create -n fastai-3.7 python=3.7
conda activate fastai-3.7
conda install pytorch torchvision -c pytorch
conda install -c fastai fastai
conda install nb_conda_kernels
python -m ipykernel install --user --name fastai-3.7 --display-name “Python (fastai-3.7)”
conda install ipywidgets

2 Likes

I tried your approach on windows 10 using latest Fastai and python 3.7. I successfully run “from fastai.imports import *” .But I still got the following error. Do you know how can I fix this?

ModuleNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
----> 1 from fastai.transforms import *
2 from fastai.conv_learner import *
3 from fastai.model import *
4 from fastai.dataset import *
5 from fastai.sgdr import *

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘fastai.transforms’

I’ve seen a few people have similar issues @saeedm and it looks like you are not getting the latest version of fastai (1.0.40 I think). The different import statements came in around 1.0.39 or so. It might be best to start clean and delete Conda and start again - to be sure it pulls the right version. To see what you have Conda list may show fastai 1.0.32 - or almost certainly a number lower than 39.

Hi all. I have run into this problem and have read ans followed the instructions of the first post. but still getting this error.

i deleted the fastai myself therefore del fastai shows that.

please help. spent half the day on it x |

mine shows 1.0.38. going start from beginning X-(

Hey, Is it possible to install fastai with CUDA v8.0 already installed on a windows system? If I change the CUDA version to 8.0 in the environment.yml, would there be any issue installing the fastai and using it later? Please advice.
Another doubt is could we use Virtualenv instead of Anaconda?

Thanks,
Siddhartha

I could install fastai on Windows 10 after following Jeremy’s instructions. But then I started getting errors saying that my GPU is old. Tried multiple fixes including installing older versions of pytorch but did not work. Finally gave up and started using crestle.com as per Jeremy’s instructions. Last week I switched to Google Colab and am using that now. It requires a little bit of setup but is worth it. I switched to Colab because I am a slow learner and the cost was piling up in Crestle.

What I learnt is that I wasted too much time trying to get it to work on my laptop instead of actually doing the lessons. Murphy’s Law “If everything else fails, follow the instructions”.