How to set num_workers to ZERO for fastai learner at the inference stage?

Hi,

I am trying to set the num_workers=0 before calling get_preds() but it turned out that it is not setting it correctly. See the code snippet below:

tta_res=[]
        prs_items=[]
        for learn in self.ensem_learner:
            print(type(learn.dls))
            learn.dls.bs=1
            print(f'num_workers before the chage are: {learn.dls.num_workers}')
            learn.dls.num_workers=0
            print(f'num_workers after the change are: {learn.dls.num_workers}')
            tta_res.append(learn.get_preds(dl=learn.dls.test_dl(fs)))
            if len(prs_items)<1:
                prs_items=learn.dl.items
            if not self.cpu:
                gc.collect()
                torch.cuda.empty_cache()

While the code prints num_workers are 0, I think it’s not catching the settings because the error below refers to workers where there shouldn’t be any.

-Tools presence detection task started.
<class 'fastai.data.core.DataLoaders'>
num_workers before the chage are: 1
num_workers after the change are: 0
ERROR: Unexpected bus error encountered in worker. This might be caused by insufficient shared memory (shm).
ERROR: Unexpected bus error encountered in worker. This might be caused by insufficient shared memory (shm).
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/opt/algorithm/process.py", line 258, in <module>
    Surgtoolloc_det().process()
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/evalutils/evalutils.py", line 183, in process
    self.process_cases()
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/evalutils/evalutils.py", line 191, in process_cases
    self._case_results.append(self.process_case(idx=idx, case=case))
  File "/opt/algorithm/process.py", line 157, in process_case
    scored_candidates = self.predict(case['path']) #video file > load evalutils.py
  File "/opt/algorithm/process.py", line 210, in predict
    tta_res.append(learn.get_preds(dl=learn.dls.test_dl(fs)))
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 290, in get_preds
    self._do_epoch_validate(dl=dl)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 236, in _do_epoch_validate
    with torch.no_grad(): self._with_events(self.all_batches, 'validate', CancelValidException)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 193, in _with_events
    try: self(f'before_{event_type}');  f()
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 199, in all_batches
    for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 227, in one_batch
    self._with_events(self._do_one_batch, 'batch', CancelBatchException)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 193, in _with_events
    try: self(f'before_{event_type}');  f()
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/learner.py", line 205, in _do_one_batch
    self.pred = self.model(*self.xb)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1110, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py", line 141, in forward
    input = module(input)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1110, in _call_impl
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/fastai/vision/learner.py", line 177, in forward
    def forward(self,x): return self.model.forward_features(x) if self.needs_pool else self.model(x)
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/timm/models/convnext.py", line 353, in forward_features
    x = self.stages(x)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py", line 141, in forward
    input = module(input)
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/timm/models/convnext.py", line 210, in forward
    x = self.blocks(x)
    input = module(input)
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/timm/models/convnext.py", line 148, in forward
    x = self.mlp(x)
  File "/home/algorithm/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/timm/models/layers/mlp.py", line 31, in forward
    x = self.drop2(x)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1172, in __getattr__
    def __getattr__(self, name: str) -> Union[Tensor, 'Module']:
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/signal_handling.py", line 66, in handler
    _error_if_any_worker_fails()
RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid 479) is killed by signal: Bus error. It is possible that dataloader's workers are out of shared memory. Please try to raise your shared memory limit.

Do I need to iterate over the data loaders contained in ‘learn.dls’ and set num_workers for each since DataLoaders is a thin wrapper around multiple DataLoader instances?

I tried using learn.dls.test_dl.num_workers=0, but got an error stating that there is no such attribute in the test_dl.
AttributeError: 'method' object has no attribute 'num_workers'

Any ideas on how to set n_workers or num_workers zero for fastai learner at the inference stage?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Bilal

1 Like

I dont know if this will solve you problem but try to change the nuber of workers like this:

tta_res.append(learn.get_preds(dl=learn.dls.test_dl(fs, num_workers = 0)))

In my opinino dls.num_workers has no effect at all, I think the value is inherited from one of the DataLoaders, but the value there will always be 1 since

rng,self.num_workers,self.offs = random.Random(random.randint(0,2**32-1)),1,0

in DataLoader.__init__(…), which looks like a bug?!

Anyhow the value you pass when creating the loader (as I suggested above) should be the one that is actually used to do work… You can check if its set correctly with something like:

test_dl = learn.dls.test_dl(fs, num_workers=0)
print(f'Number of workers used: {test_dl.fake_l.num_workers}')

I hope this can help.

1 Like

Hey benkarr,

It worked like a charm. The inference code has started to work perfectly even with bs=64 and a large ensemble of models. All the shared memory errors in docker disappeared. Thanks to you. :smile:

Best regards,
Bilal

1 Like

Thats great, happy it worked :slight_smile:

…still: self.num_workers = 1 seems wrong, it should be set as the passed parameter (or removed I guess). Is there some special way to highlight this to a maintainer other than the forbidden @ ?

@benkarr I guess the right thing to do would be to raise an issue on the fastai library in github (if this issue is not already logged). Thanks for the answer, I used this info to improve my classify script.

I am having a similar problem like the one above while working with https://github.com/fastai/fastbook/blob/master/01_intro.ipynb
But since I am using vision_learner I can pass the number of worker thread to the function. Does anyone know how I can fix the problem?

1 Like