How to (quickly) extract bilinear-interpolated patches from a 2d image at specific points?

I am trying to train a deep learning model to predict face landmarks following this paper. I need to crop parts of the image that contains face into smaller patches around facial landmarks. For example, if we have the image shown below:

enter image description here

The function should generate N=15 “patches”, one patch per landmark:

enter image description here

I have the following naïve implementation build on top of torch tensors:

def generate_patch(x, y, w, h, image):
    c = image.size(0)
    patch = torch.zeros((c, h, w), dtype=image.dtype)
    for q in range(h):
        for p in range(w):
            yq = y + q - (h - 1)/2
            xp = x + p - (w - 1)/2
            xd = 1 - (xp - math.floor(xp))
            xu = 1 - (math.ceil(xp) - xp)
            yd = 1 - (yq - math.floor(yq))
            yu = 1 - (math.ceil(yq) - yq)
            for idx in range(c):
                patch[idx, q, p] = (
                    image[idx, math.floor(yq), math.floor(xp)]*yd*xd + 
                    image[idx, math.floor(yq),  math.ceil(xp)]*yd*xu +
                    image[idx,  math.ceil(yq), math.floor(xp)]*yu*xd +
                    image[idx,  math.ceil(yq),  math.ceil(xp)]*yu*xu
                ).item()
    return patch

def generate_patches(image, points, n=None, sz=31):
    if n is None:
        n = len(points)//2
    patches = []
    for i in range(n):
        x_val, y_val = points[i], points[i + n]
        patch = generate_patch(x_val, y_val, sz, sz, image)
        patches.append(patch)
    return patches

The code does its work but too slowly. I guess because of all these for-loops and separate pixels indexing. I would like to vectorize this code, or maybe find some C-based implementation that could do it faster.

I know there is the extract_patches_2d function from sklearn package that helps to pick random patches from the image. However, I would like to pick the patches from specific points instead of doing it randomly. I guess that I can somehow adapt the aforementioned function, or convert the implementation shown above into Cython/C code but probably someone has already done something like this before.

Could you please advise some alternative to the code shown above, or maybe a proposal on how to make it faster? (Except using several parallel workers).

The question was originally posted on the StackOverflow but I am duplicating it here because think it could be interesting to other developers who try to do something similar, and also there are a lot of skilled programmers there.

2 Likes

I guess the original formulation of this question is a bit unclear. To clarify, I am not just cropping the image but applying the bilinear interpolation during the patches extraction process. That’s why the algorithm is more involved than just taking slices.