How to disable all form of multiprocessing in FastAI and Pytorch ? Why does my custom transform block causes CUDA multiprocessing error?

Trying to define a custom transform block that converts audio file to tensor. But encountering a series of errors.

Custom Transform

import soundfile as sf
class AudioTransform(Transform):
    def __init__(self, period, stride):
        self.period = period 
        self.stride = stride 
        self.sr = 48000

def encodes(self, record_id):
        if (data_dir/f'train/{record_id}.flac').is_file():
            y, sr = sf.read(data_dir/f'train/{record_id}.flac')
        else:
            y, sr = sf.read(data_dir/f'test/{record_id}.flac')
            y_ = []
            i = 0
            effective_length = self.period * self.sr
            stride = self.stride * self.sr
            y = np.stack([y[i:i+effective_length].astype(np.float32) for i in range(0, 60*self.sr+stride-effective_length, stride)])

return torch.tensor(y).cuda()

def AudioBlock(): return TransformBlock(type_tfms=AudioTransform(period=10, stride=5).encodes)

Usage

data = DataBlock(blocks=(AudioBlock, MultiCategoryBlock(vocab=[str(i) for i in range(24)])),
                       splitter=IndexSplitter(val_index),
                       get_x=ColReader('recording_id'),
                       get_y=ColReader('species_id', label_delim=' ')
                     )
dls = data.dataloaders(train_tp,bs=16, worker=1)

learn = Learner(dls, model, metrics=[lwlrap],
              loss_func=nn.BCELoss(),
              opt_func=Adam)
learn.fit(20, lr)

Usage block produces

RuntimeError: Cannot re-initialize CUDA in forked subprocess. To use CUDA with multiprocessing, you must use the 'spawn' start method

Error fix attempt 1:

If I remove the content of AudioTransform.encodes and just return the input like below, the CUDA multiprocessing error goes away

def encodes(self, record_id):
        return record_id

Can someone help me understand why ?

Error fix attempt 2:

Use

torch.multiprocessing.set_start_method('spawn', force=True)

as suggested by the error message. The CUDA multiprocessing error goes away but I get this new error relating to picking my AudioTransform.encodes function above

Question:

1. How do I disable all form of multiprocessing in both torch and FastAI ?
  2. Any Idea on how to fix the CUDA multiprocessing error and the pickling error without disable multiprocessing ?
    3.What is wrong with the content of AudioTransform.encodes ? Why does removal of function body suppress the CUDA multiprocessing error ?

Set num_workers to 0 in that DataLoaders call, not workers. The other solution is just don’t have your device set to cuda in that transform. Fastai should do that automatically for you

I’ve similar issue as this as well as here Seems there is a similar issue when using something like supervisor within virtualised environment (docker).
Upon further check, it seems there might be a bug in the following

An Issue has been created as well

cc: @muellerzr