How to avoid cropping of Images?

Hi,
I am trying to build a classifier for heatmaps. Here is a sample image:
tst1

But when I use data.show_batch(rows = 3), here is the result I get:

As we can see, almost 3 columns are getting cut out. Since each of the columns have a specific meaning, cutting them decreases accuracy. How can I fix this?

Here is the data bunch I am using:
data = ImageDataBunch.from_folder(path, train=".", valid_pct=0.20, size = 224 , num_workers=5)

1 Like

If all the images are of same size in your dataset, then remove the size parameter from the Databunch declaration and it should most probably work. Try it out.

2 Likes

The size=224 parameter calls the resize transform behind the scenes.

By default, a single int, (such as in size=224, will resize AND crop the image to (224, 224).
If you want to just resize the image and squish it to (224,224), without cropping anything out, use size=(224,224)

Alternatively, if you’re images are already the same size, you can get rid of the size parameter entirely, as suggested by @navidpanchi.

Let me know if this helps! :slight_smile:

See below for references & source link

resize

Pytorch’s transforms.Resize(size) equivalent is implemented without an explicit transform function in fastai. It’s done via the arguments size and resize_method .

The size argument can be either a single int 224 , or a tuple of int s (224,400) . The default behavior is to crop the image to a square when a single int is passed and to squish it in the case of a tuple , so that:

• if size=224 is passed, it will resize and then crop to (224,224)
  • if size=(224,400) is passed, it will squish it to (224,400)
  • if size=(224,224) is passed, it will squish (not crop!) it to (224,224)

For more info, check out this source in the docs :slight_smile: : https://docs.fast.ai/vision.transform.html#resize

3 Likes

Hey!
Yup, it worked. Just a pointer to anyone else who may encounter this. I had to set num_workers = 0 and reduce the batch size since without it I was encountering CUDA Out of memory errors. Thanks!

@Epoching Thanks for the detailed answer! Yes, removing size made it work:)

Glad to hear :slight_smile: