Google created a cool demo of my blog post (based on what I learned in Fast.AI)

The Google Kubeflow team created this cool demo: http://gh-demo.kubeflow.org/

This is based on what I wrote earlier this year: https://towardsdatascience.com/how-to-create-data-products-that-are-magical-using-sequence-to-sequence-models-703f86a231f8, and is directly based upon the skills I learned in fast.ai.

Also, the unexpected benefits of blogging: I will be presenting this technique at KDD conference this year, and am also working on a tutorial on Kaggle-Learn. I just wanted to share this as a motivation for folks to blog, and also share my excitement with, and say thank you to this class and @jeremy.

41 Likes

Congrats Hamel!!! BTW I am about to work through your tutorial on docker over the next couple of days, just need to get some additional hardware

@radek cool! Let me know if can clarify anything! I really love docker, it has made my life much easier especially with all the crazy Nvidia dependencies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where you getting all your 1080Ti s :joy: ? Might need to get one soon too.

I’m already sold on running containers. Been using it on production for some years now. Haven’t tried it with GPUs though, how does it work with sharing the GPU on multiple containers ? Is it even possible ?

that’s awesome, congrats :slight_smile:

The hw I am waiting for is a… pendrive! :smile: Turns out somehow all I had evaporated and yesterday when I looked it seemed to me that docker only runs on Ubuntu. But I think that a more correct statement would be that the enterprise version is only supported on Ubuntu but this can be installed also on other distros, or at least on Debian. If I find some time today I might start giving docker a go :slight_smile:

I really would love to bundle up all my dev env, by that I mean vimrc, tmux and tmuxinator configs, etc. I do not know yet what to do about github and bitbucket keys - guessing I might be able to point them to be copied over from host or something like that?

I got mine 1080ti from here (I think they would ship within EU no problem). It was maybe 80 euro cheaper then anywhere else and also they had it available in reasonable time which was a big issue when I was getting it.

Having said that, the GPU is the most unimpressive piece of hw I got! It’s nice in a sense that at least by going for it I don’t have to think about it and it just works, but if I were doing it all over again from start I might have opted for something smaller / maybe even getting a laptop instead. I have not found yet a problem that cannot be made interesting by making it smaller, and besides CIFAR10 is such a wonderful playground I have not explored in the least just yet. And the issues around connectivity (ISP issues, upload speeds, outages) and all the minor details of keeping that box have taken quite a bit of my time (good learning experience though) but probably there would be immense value in having greater availability and ease of use of something I could keep it close to me (the box sits in my parents closet :stuck_out_tongue: )

BTW the best bang for the buck, without a doubt, by a very long distance, has been the nvme drive. OMG this is a life changer. It’s like the first time you discover you can jump to tags in your editor :smiley: Maybe even better.

Man I can’t write short posts - sorry about this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations Hamel…!

Definitely works on Debian.

You probably don’t want to do that. It’s a lot messier. Works better when you package only the software dependencies in container images. Better to make a separate bootstrap bash files to get your server (and your laptop) to install dev. dependencies. (rc files etc.)

yeah, nvme drives are amazing.

yeah. I haven’t run/built a desktop machine in the last 10 years or so. So, kinda torn about this, but maybe I’ll give it a shot this summer.

1 Like

Stick your homedir config files in git so you can sync them everywhere.

https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2016/02/best-way-to-store-dotfiles-git-bare-repo/

2 Likes

Thank you Jeremy! This is what I will do, sounds really great

Thank you for the heads up Suvash! :slight_smile: There goes my idea! :wink: I have tried other things in the past including bash scripts and vagrant with ansible / salt, but neither felt too comfortable. I guess I should have stuck to bash scripts and just worked on them.

Thank you very much Jeremy for letting me know about this. Just started using this on my dl box - its unbelievable how seamless this works and how comfortable this is. And being able to use branches for various setups (laptop, headless, etc) makes this even cooler! :slight_smile: This solves the problem of syncing dot files for me once and for all.

1 Like

We all very much familiar with the Google browser. I must say it is one of the most used web browsers. But it is not working properly on Windows 10. Windows 10 Explorer Keeps Crashing again and again.

The hw I am waiting for is a… pendrive! :slight_smile: Turns out somehow all I had evaporated and yesterday when I looked it seemed to me that docker only runs on Ubuntu. But I think that a more correct statement would be that the enterprise version is only supported on Ubuntu but this can be installed also on other distros, or at least on Debian. If I find some time today I might start giving docker a go :slight_smile: