Taking inspiration from the time-series and geospatial study groups I wanted to start a new study group/thread with a focus for people working in GLAMS (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums).
There is growing interest in using ai in GLAM settings for example: Machine Learning + Libraries report, Fantastic Futures conferences. There are a range of potential use cases for deep-learning in GLAMs with some focused on ‘day-to-day’ work whilst others are more focused on the use of GLAM collections in combination with ML for research purposes.
I sent a tweet about starting a GLAM focused study group for the intro to deep learning course a couple of weeks ago and I was pleased to see that other people were keen to do the course too. I had hoped to use this thread as a place for discussion for this informal study group.
Until the v4 of the course is launched (which should be in the next couple of weeks), it might be nice to use this thread to introduce ourselves for people keen to follow this study group (or who are interested in GLAM applications of ai).
- Who you are?
- Why you are interested in machine learning/deep learning?
- Do you already have some potential problems you are (or would like to) use machine learning for?
- Datasets you are keen to work with? (either labelled or unlabelled)
- Is there anything that you think would help you get prepared to do follow the fastai course (i.e. you are a bit rusty with Python).
I thought it was easiest to keep the study group mainly asynchronous, but I’m happy to organise some video calls if people are also keen to chat that way. Please indicate in the poll if this is something you would like to do. If a few people express interest and the time zones work out, I can set something up.
- I would love to chat via video chat
- I’m happy with an asynchronous only study group
Similarly, I think there are a lot of advantages to having discussions in a forum but understand there are also some benefits to having a more private channel for discussion too. If you prefer to also have a private channel I can set a slack or similar up to run alongside the forum discussions:
- I am happy to keep chats on the forum
- I’d also like a more private communication channel (mailing list, Slack channel etc)
Hoping to see some other people interested in AI and GLAMs in this thread