Getting predictions get_preds() for test sets

Hello

I have posted this on another part but perhaps it is too obvious but I can’t seem to find any answer to this trivial question.

If I run val_preds,val_targets = learn.get_preds() I get the predictions and targets for the validation set. How do I run it for the test set?

So far all the docs show learn.get_preds(is_test=True) but is_test has been changed to something else. Please advise !

Cheers, Hud

0 Likes

(ali baltschun) #2

i dont know for one liner

but its work fo me

preds = []
for i in range(0,30):
    p = learn.predict(data.test_ds.x[i])
    preds.append(str(p[0]))
0 Likes

(Sam Ariabod) #3

Hello, with v1 you can pass in the DatasetType to get_preds().

preds, y = learn.get_preds(DatasetType.Test)

0 Likes

Thanks this sort of worked, but now new problems arise.

I followed the solutions for vision in the inference tutorials and am able to predict different classes of boats from single images from the test set. However, images from a test_set folder returns only one class.

Have a look at the inference section in my gist-notebook

Has anyone had this problem?

0 Likes

(Erik Man) #5

I have the same problem. I’m just a beginner so I don’t know why, but my workaround is:

preds, y, losses = learn.get_preds(ds_type=DatasetType.Test, with_loss=True)
y = torch.argmax(preds, dim=1)
6 Likes

(Christopher Tan) #6

Thanks for this workaround! Works great for me too.

0 Likes

(Justin) #7

I also am seeing the y predictions returning all zeros, in my case using a text learner (in fastai v1.0.48):

preds, y = learn.get_preds(ds_type=DatasetType.Test) print(y)

tensor([0, 0, 0, ..., 0, 0, 0])

Even though taking the argmax reveals that not all the highest preds are at label position 0.

@sgugger Is this a known issue?

0 Likes

That’s not an issue, it’s because the test set in fastai is unlabelled, so the y (your targets) are all set to zero.

1 Like

(Justin) #9

I see. That explains it. I thought y was the predicted y, but it’s actually the true y (which we don’t have in a test set). Thanks.

1 Like

Are there plans to change this? For me it always feels kind of hacky to artificially add none labels to the test data loader in order for it to work.

0 Likes

Not in the midterm, no, we have a lot on our plates with the ongoing course right now.

0 Likes