I am looking at purchasing a GTX 1070 based on my available funds. Does it need to be an Nvidia produced GPU? For instance, on eBay I see think like “PNY Nvidia GTX 1070” or “ASUS Nvidia GTX 1070”. Will those work?

• John

Must be nvidia gpu but a 1070 will work fine for most work. You can always spin up AWS or paperspace when you want to train something that needs more memory than the 1070. I primarily use a 1060 with 6 GB memory so a 1070 with 8 GB would give you a bit more breathing room.

Thank you for the response. I realized I may not have been 100% clear in my post, so I just want to confirm. I think you are saying the PNY or ASUS Nvidia GTX 1070 will work. It does not have to be Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition, for instance (which is sold directly from Nvidia).

John

Yes - any manufacturer that uses a nvidia gpu. If it says gtx 1070 in the name, you are good to go.

Awesome! Thanks again.

If you want to add another one, you should go for a founder’s, ot at least another blower edition. I waote about that, if you need further details:

2 Likes

Thanks. I will take a look.

1 Like

As this thread is probably dead but I was in the same boat as the OP and bought Asus Strix 1070. So far its been so good and I have no problems with it whatsoever.