FastGarden - A new ImageNette like competition (just for fun)

Also if anyone is running outside of Colab you’ll have to do pip install tensorflow to run the starter notebook

Edit: more specifically, you’ll actually want pip install "tensorflow>=1.15,<2.0" since this tfrecord repository isn’t compatible with TF2.

1 Like

No, as it will download it all as tons and tons of zip files I found (atleast on colab)

That’s weird, for me when I run it I just get one zip, flower-classification-with-tpus.zip

In colab? Or a different env

I’m running on my own machine in Ubuntu so it definitely could be an env or version difference

I can say that in Colab it downloaded as a bunch of zips :confused:

I should’ve led with this, but: thank you for setting this up! It’s a fun way for fastai veterans to get acquainted with the new library, with a little less pressure than a full Kaggle competition

2 Likes

On paper space I just got one zip file using kaggle API and curlwget chrome extension

2 Likes

Hi Zachary,

***UPDATE:
Tried to figure this out. It seems like I get intermittent byte errors, and the wget freezes. To get the wget to restart itself after intermittent byte errors, I used the following line

!wget -T 15 -c “YOUR_URL” -O “flowers.zip”

-T = checks for timeout after 15 seconds (default 900 secs)
-c = continue wget download in case it was partially downloaded already

***END

I ended up just downloading from the site instead of through jupyter notebook.

But here is what I was trying.

1. Get link from kaggle. Note: the coped link is much longer than the picture.

2. Wget in jupyter notebook. Note, this is not the curl method.

3. Download freezes

I’m wondering if I’m missing some authentication or key. But I thought the copied download link contains it.

Thanks,
Daniel Lam

I’m not 100% sure what the errors could be, I’d try the recommendations from others in the thread too. It could be dataset dependent and/or environment dependent too (from Kaggle’s side on a firewall standpoint,etc). Sorry about the issues :confused:

I figured out a solution for my problem (updated in my post). I just added a “-T 15” flag into my !wget command. During my kaggle download, I’d get a byte error that stopped the download.

1 Like

what is the MaxBlurPool Layer? It seems to help the model get ~1-2% boost.

1 Like

It’s a recent technique that has the current highest leaderboard spot on ImageWoof and Nette:

From what I understand, the MaxBlurPool is designed to help convnets (re-)learn translational invariance. Translational (or shift) invariance can be sort of learned via image augmentation, but aliasing problems can cause issues. R. Zhang showed in his ICLR paper that a BlurPool (=downsampling) layer after MaxPool operation can help anti-alias the network and recover translational invariance. See also the official Github repo for neat examples.

As is demonstrated in the imagenette leaderboards (see post by @muellerzr) MaxBlurPool can be used as a drop-in replacement for all instances of MaxPool in the xresnet architecture.

EDIT: Based off my very limited number of tests, MaxBlurPool hasn’t helped me top the FastGarden leaderboard… Wait, actually I’m starting to get good results using MaxBlurPool and a lower learning rate. Unfortunately Paperspace gave me a Quadro M4000 for this session, which means that it takes 7 minutes to train an epoch…

3 Likes

Why not try Colab? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@muellerzr To download flower-classification-with-tpus.zip using kaggle-api all you have to do is

import os
kaggle_data={"username":YOUR_KAGGLE_USERNAME,"key":YOUR_KAGGLE_KEY}
os.environ['KAGGLE_USERNAME']=kaggle_data["username"]
os.environ['KAGGLE_KEY']=kaggle_data["key"]
!pip install git+https://github.com/Kaggle/kaggle-api.git --upgrade
!kaggle competitions download -c flower-classification-with-tpus

using the default kaggle cli version that comes preinstalled with colab downloades bunch of zips, install the latest github version to avoid it.

5 Likes

I don’t love the Colab interface, and wanted to try Paperspace since it was recommended for the current course. But yeah, maybe I’ll stick with Colab!

I’m resharing directions for turning it into native Jupyter. Looks like it doesn’t break the TOS so you should be interested by that :slight_smile:

Anyone getting >75%? I’m plateauing around 70-73%, which is mostly the baseline notebook approach. Image size is 224x224. Things I’ve tried:

• Architecture: resnet, xresnet, 34, 50, 101, deep resnets, efficientnet, densenet121, densenet169
  • Optimizer: Adam, ranger (ranger seems faster for 5 epochs)
  • Fit function: fit_one_cycle, fit_flat_cos (both similar with ranger, adam is less accurate)
  • Self-attention seemed to help maybe ~4-5% (only tried on the xreset)
  • Stratified training/validation data: downsampled to stratify, and then augmented to get back to ~12000 (similar results as using the original training set with the splitter). Just as a data point, from all the data (~16000 pts), labels 6,34,44 have only 23 examples (lowest). Label 67 has the most at 1010 examples

Here’s what the data looks like if you use the “splitter = IndexSplitter(range(12753, len(data)))” from the Zachary’s baseline notebook.

image image

2 Likes

When I get done with the DeepFake competition next I’ll be giving some of these techniques a go:

I’ve only skimmed it so maybe most are covered, but worth a watch/read if you’re looking for new ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like