Doubt - how to use lr_find plot

I am trying to understand the logic behind choosing learning rates for the given lr_find plot.Apparently choosing the slicing range around 1e-01 (corresponding to the lowest loss) blows the validation loss out of proportions, while slice(1e-06,1e-04) has high losses but works just fine.
I was under the notion that we choose the range where the loss is the lowest

Now, I do understand that slicing range around 1e-01 is a very high range and the exploding validation losses is something that is acceptedā€¦but then how do i use this curve(loss vs. lr)?Is it that we choose a range that has a more or less stable loss(in spite of being high)? if so then why?

When you say slicing range around 1e-01 are you actually passing in a range or just one value of LR, ie 1e-01? Single LR is applied to all layers, and having a very high value in such cases can spin you out in the wrong direction (not minimise the loss).

I think of LR as how much or how often do you want to adjust weights in the direction specified by the gradient. Providing a range of LRs enables you to give different amounts for different layers of training. Since fastai provides a pretrained model, the initial layers do not need their weights to change much - so a smaller learning rate works better for them. For later layers, you want to change by more (or more often) so a higher LR works well for updating weights.

Some thumb rules for picking LR (from the lectures):

1. In general always pick LR values well before loss starts to get worse (ie well before the lowest point before loss increases again). LR of 1e-03 works well for initial training.
  2. For initial stages (before unfreeze) use an LR range that represents the sharpest downward slope (so in your plot, 1e-04 to 1e-02 perhaps).
  3. For later stages pick 10x below the lowest point on the slope for the starting LR and 10x below previous stage LR for the ending LR (assuming there is a 10x gap between the two LRs of a slice).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

ā€˜slicing range around 1e-01ā€™ as in I was using a range (1e-03,1e-01),which is the steepest downward slopeā€¦validation loss exploded in this case
But the results were fine for the range (1e-06,1e-04), where the loss is constant,this is the point where i did not understand.

Iā€™m not sure I understand your question. Are you questioning why 1e-1 led to insanely large validation loss? Or why a lower range did not? What did you mean by ā€œresults were fineā€?

In your plot 1e-1 almost seems like the point where loss is already increasing again. Training the last few layers at this rate implies youā€™re updating weights in the wrong direction each time an update is performed, and likely causing large valid-loss values.

Can you try training with slice(1e-4, 1e-2) and see what you get?

I vaguely recall there was some way to visualise the loss landscape but sorry I donā€™t recall the details. Perhaps explore the forum more for understanding how LR affects loss. Do share a tldr here later! :smile:

1 Like